SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
NPC
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not lower an SV1000 3 3/4"!!!

Here's a little preliminary info for those that haven't read about my lowered bike or converted SV650 sidestand. http://www.sv1000.zyns.com/forums/showpost.php?p=154305&postcount=38

I was on my way home this morning from a wedding in Venice and stopped in Sarasota for gas. This was a big mistake since there was a lot of road construction and I had to make a negative camber U turn to get to the gas station. I took the turn a little too fast and heard something scraping. From the marks I can tell that it was the sidestand and it caught, lifted the back wheel and flipped the bike over. I flew off the bike and did a face plant on the asphalt.

I was wearing full leathers and all my gear so nothing's really hurt but my pride :blush: My SV wasn't so lucky. I was only 45 minutes from home so, after I made a few phone calls to find replacement parts and calm myself down, I hopped right back on the interstate ... missing the right mirror and turn signal :lol:

What did I learn from this? I learned that, even though the Hyabusa adjustable sidestand is an outragous $200, it's a lot cheaper than the replacement parts I'm about to buy. Alright, seriously I've learned that I need to slow down because I really have been riding way too fast lately.

Three cheers for frame sliders!! Here's all that will need replaced:
upper fairing
bar end
foot brake lever
right turn signal
right mirror

Here are the pictures you requested 2WIN. Thanks again for throwing out your old fairing :bleh:

·
A Nomad
891 Posts
glad your ok, think many of us take it a bit too fast sometimes.

At least you had good protective gear:niceone:

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,774 Posts
Damn I'm glad you're still with us Karen! Yay for full gear! :yes: Sorry to hear about your pride and joy too. Good luck in putting your Copper back together. :niceone:

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,142 Posts
Bah!
You should be proud of your dueling scars!
and none of that stuff needs to be replaced!
Some JB Weld, some 1/4-20 All-Thread, and some duct tape to hold it all together as the epoxy hardens, is all that anybody really needs!

...glad you're ok though. Crashing (almost) always sucks.

·
What's this space for?
1,945 Posts
Hey, glad your OK. looks like your frame sliders saved some damage as well. Don't replace that brake lever, I will post a little something this evening on how to fix those levers like new.

·
NPC
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! :hug:

CW ~ you sound just like my nephew who said, "What, no blood? Nothing that's going to leave a scar? You're such a pussy!" :lol:

Frisco ~ I had no choice, 2WIN was going to embarrass me if I didn't post about it. He's still embarrassed from Overkill posting the pics at the SV Rally last year. He was looking for some kind of retaliation. The embarrassing part for me is that, it was my mistake and my poor calculation. I strive for perfection knowing that I'll never be perfect.. :disapint:

Cobalt ~ Yup, the frame sliders did their job. I have the Suzuki ones but after this I'm going to invest in some Super Sliders. I don't think these would hold up to a 'real' crash. I'll keep an eye out for your thread on the brake lever. Thanks!!!

·
What's this space for?
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Glad you are okay!!

All things considering the bike came out pretty well. Those frame sliders really help.

I wish I had crash bars on my Concours. Its a $300 option and was going to get them eventually but did not yet. Because I did not have them its $1,949 in damage if I wish to repair most of it.

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,206 Posts
Don't you feel better now Karen? People aren't holding anything against you. You had an accident... Wow. Your human...:innocent:

Hope you feel better. I know what it's like and you know how our MAN ego's are. Easily bruised...:disapint:

Chin up and enjoy the protein drinks... forgive the pun...

Damn women drivers...:whistle:

Totaly kidding Karen:innocent:

·
Mr. Obvious
2,197 Posts
If you want them I can donate a turn signal and upper fairing (silver) for shipping charges. Just shoot me a PM if you want those items.

Sorry to hear about the get-off though and glad you are OK, just think of it as a wake-up call to slow down a hair. I had to remind myself on the way to work this morning (balmy 28 deg. F :blink: )

·
Mile eater
2,791 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off. At least it was at a slow speed and you didn't slide into a solid object at a high speed. You might be a little sore tomorrow but look at it as a learning experience. Just think, you have a spare bike to ride while you're fixing the 1K.

BTW....

Did you catch the bouquet????

·
Back to nOrMaL!
3,991 Posts
Condolences on your bruised bike and ego. Glad it's only a bruising.

I will go ahead and expose my ignorance. Happens all the time. What is a frame slider? Is it the little black peg I see in your picture? Looks like a real good idea. Where can I get some?

·
Ghetto Superstar
3,843 Posts
Gald you're okay Karen and soory about your bike. If it makes you feel any better I stoppied my bike today and flipped over the bars, While laying face down in the dirt all I could hear was Yellowfever laughing at me.:disapint:

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Glad is wasn't too bad TC, hope the headlight assembly didn't suffer any broken mounting tabs. After my 1st getoff my fairing looked something like yours. Unfortunately for me my headlight was a gonner. Good luck putting her back together.

EDIT: Or maybe I should have said "Good luck putting HIM back together".
Do women think of their bikes as being masculine?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Technochick said:
Thanks guys! :hug:

Frisco ~ I had no choice, 2WIN was going to embarrass me if I didn't post about it. He's still embarrassed from Overkill posting the pics at the SV Rally last year. He was looking for some kind of retaliation. The embarrassing part for me is that, it was my mistake and my poor calculation. I strive for perfection knowing that I'll never be perfect.. :disapint:

2WIN would never do anything like that... or would he?:ph34r: You couldn't be guilty by association? Could you? Im sure my day is coming, Im still flirting with disaster on a weekly basis. haha. Then he can call out the dogs. ;)

Hope you're feeling better soon, if you need anything (minus bike parts) give me a shout.

BTW, whenever you are ready for that fenderectomy Im ready to operate. TTYS.

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
So glad your not hurt T.C. and the bike doesn't look too badly damaged.

It's so easily done, we've all dropped them in the most silly and stupid circumstances.

Mr Grumpy

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.