SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,899 Posts
What vic_bitter said.

Can an admin make this a sticky?
This is sticky.....my only options are to unstick it when i look into it.... i have just "restucked" it......just to make sure

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello SV Owners,

A quick question around SV Model differences.

I'm new to SVs and just got my very first SV last month so this may be a noob question.

I initially thought the models worked as so:

SK1 - 2001
SK2 - 2002
SK3 - 2004
SK4 - 2004
etc.

Is this the case because when checking my V5 registration and also when inputting the reg into motorcycle parts websites, it indicates my bike is a SK3 model. When I check the date of first registration it has Nov 2004 date which is almost 2005 and of course the plate is an '04.

Could someone please explain to me how the SKx model relates to the year of manufacturing or are they not related at all?

Many thanks,

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,899 Posts
The eight digit back from the right is the year.

Also, if your bike is an S model, if the bottom rail of the rear subframe is dead straight, its an 03/04 model.....

Reactions: Corsica13

·
Registered
31 Posts
The eight digit back from the right is the year.

Also, if your bike is an S model, if the bottom rail of the rear subframe is dead straight, its an 03/04 model.....
Thanks for the response, so if I'm buying parts from a website, should I be entering 03 or 04, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
On the HPI and the Registration is states SK3 but 2004 manufacturing year, just trying to figure what year I should be using when placing orders on parts?
Many thanks,

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
Yes, you're spot on, after some further digging, I found that all 03/04 1000S models are SK3s.
Thanks for your help!
2003 S model is an SK3.
2004 S model is an SK4.

The 10th digit in the VIN will designate model year.

-ms

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am more confused than ever now about my basterd bike. Should this all fit together this well ??

TLDR version: Will 07 forks, engine+FI +airbox+exhaust, tail, front end fit an 03 frame.

I bought a 07 1K bike that a tree or something like 1000 bricks fell on, in dark blue with no title at insurance action. I have its black frame too sitting around or lost somewhere in my storage trailers. Minimal damage.
In fact the damage to the dark blue was almost entirely to the fairing and its frame and tank and near the sissy bar area and a rip in the seat. Like a ton of bricks fell on it. Oh yea tail has a few partial cracks, and some minor crap here and there I dont even see.
My Frame is a silver 03. I didn't use its tail though I have it sitting around. The damage to the 07 tail was minimal, so on it went. I have busted up front fairing and frame. So I skipped that and am trying to fit twin dominators on the frame bracket by making "ears".
Tank is light blue SV650 issue - I believe making in 04 or later - cos 03 was only burnt copper right ?
Triples came off a 1k N and 07 1K forks went in them with new tapered roller bearings.
Gauge with white face is lost somewhere, so I am trying to fit a black face 650 gauge I have off ebay. It does fit and mostly work but for a blinking FI light. Which I didn't have in 2019 and from then to now only change has been throttle cables. Had it running then, and have it running the same now (with the same gas I might add - Oh no, can throw an FI light) - Grrrrrr
All the rest is 07, but I have several boxes of parts I got with the frame. Some stray 03 could have been put in it.
Swingarm is silver - likely to be 03 ?? Was the black 07 frame mated to a black swingarm ?

Should this all fit together nice and easy like this - I did completely disassemble the frame, steering neck, swingarm, tail and fairing to make a swap with the 03 frame. But it was so long ago (08 or so) and I've forgotten if I fabbed up anything to fit it. I had access to an expert welder, his shop and abilities for cheap at that time. I remember I fabbed a dirt bike style stand that you put under the bike, and step on and it lifts the bike 4". Only it goes from 8" to 12" as opposed to 12" to 16" like for dirt bikes.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts