SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my boredom (it has been raining for the past five days here in NC), I took a Dremel with a cutting wheel and zipped off the spot welds that hold the hex screws onto the end caps. Pulled the end caps off. Then, I took the cans to a muffler shop and had them use a cutting torch to cut large holes (approx 2 1/4) around the area where the 'pea shooters' exit the cans. Took them home, bolted the end caps back on, and voila the bike ROARS! Its fun to scare the kids in the neighborhood whilst blatting down the street. Before the mod they just stared. Now they scatter like starlings. (w00t) All for less than $10!
This should do until the Yosh slip ons arrive.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm more than a little curious about this. Did you pull both end cap and the mounting flange off? Pull the cannister off leaving just the baffle? And is the baffle the part you had the muffler shop hit with the "blue wrench"? You stated how big the hole was, but whats the shape of the hole, and how many per baffle? Maybe I'm not visualizing exactly how you did it...
:wacko:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I suspect it's too late for photo's as the muffler is now back together but I did a similar thing with Ducati 888 mufflers a few years ago. I am definitely doing this mod when my bike arrives <waiting waiting> so will take pics then unless someone else does it first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any pics or more detailed instructions would be great...... very interested in doing it, but a little nervous of ruining my cans!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
sounds like a plan, but we need pics damm it, you can't make us all sit and wonder what it looks like , it not fair :beer: you B) are the man for taking the risk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice job. I might do the same trick.. Does anyone know if it has a negative effect on the injection system with back pressure etc?
Only have a crappy digital camera, but if I get the courage and do the mod I'll post the pics and process. :unsure:
Tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All right guys, here's how its done. The cans look stock except I did cut short the 1" diameter pea shooters that exit the stock mufflers.
I'll try to explain this as best I can:
Before you start, leave the cans mounted on the bike.
Put the bike up on a rear stand if you have one. This keeps it from moving around.
1. Using a Dremel or drill with a small 5/8-3/4" cutting wheel, zip off the tack welds that hold the hex screws into the end of the mufflers. Take out the hex screws.
2. Pull the end caps off. You will notice this end of the muffler is a solid backing plate only a 1" pea shooter for an exit. Not much flow there. Cut about an inch or so off the pea shooter so they don't protruce out the end cap. That cleans up the looks alot.
3. Now take the mufflers off the bike. Take them to a muffler shop and have them use a cutting torch to cut a 2" hole around the pea shooters. The backing plate is very hard, thick metal. That's why I don't recommend cutting it yourself. Trust me on this. Furthermore, the cans will get very HOT! The muffler shop had a water hose to cool them down. Of course, the cuts will look sloppy (as molten metal does)but with the end caps screwed back on, you can't see them at all.
4. Take cans back home and reassemble them. Notice the basso profundo ROAR they make. Nice, isn't it? :niceone:

I took the bike for a 150 mile blat on Friday. This thing is quicker 60-100 than my RC51 track bike in top gear roll ons. Not bad for a bike that cost me $6850 on Ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected] June 2003, 04:19 AM<br /><br /> All right guys, here's how its done. The cans look stock except I did cut short the 1" diameter pea shooters that exit the stock mufflers.
I'll try to explain this as best I can:
Before you start, leave the cans mounted on the bike.
Put the bike up on a rear stand if you have one. This keeps it from moving around.
1. Using a Dremel or drill with a small 5/8-3/4" cutting wheel, zip off the tack welds that hold the hex screws into the end of the mufflers. Take out the hex screws.
2. Pull the end caps off. You will notice this end of the muffler is a solid backing plate only a 1" pea shooter for an exit. Not much flow there. Cut about an inch or so off the pea shooter so they don't protruce out the end cap. That cleans up the looks alot.
3. Now take the mufflers off the bike. Take them to a muffler shop and have them use a cutting torch to cut a 2" hole around the pea shooters. The backing plate is very hard, thick metal. That's why I don't recommend cutting it yourself. Trust me on this. Furthermore, the cans will get very HOT! The muffler shop had a water hose to cool them down. Of course, the cuts will look sloppy (as molten metal does)but with the end caps screwed back on, you can't see them at all.
4. Take cans back home and reassemble them. Notice the basso profundo ROAR they make. Nice, isn't it? :niceone:

I took the bike for a 150 mile blat on Friday. This thing is quicker 60-100 than my RC51 track bike in top gear roll ons. Not bad for a bike that cost me $6850 on Ebay.
Hey Fullmonte, I am going to try the mod on the stock cans and I got one question. When you say that you made a two inch hole around the pea shotter, do you mean next to it???

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm thinking he made the cut completely around the "pea shooter" . Sounds like he's saying the new hole is 2" in diameter which sounds like it will completely remove the original exhaust exit.... I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ross,

I've done just that. I've drilled three 1/2" holes around the "pea shooter", equidistant from the nuts that are welded in place to attach the end cap. I have mixed feelings about the result. On one hand, there is increased sound, that is definately better than stock. Not a lot louder, but definately better. On the downside, the result is a little "wheezy" or raspy, definately not loaded with base. Also, the metal of the end cap is hard as hell. I drilled a small pilot hole first, then went to 1/2". I would imagine with bigger holes, the sound would be considerably louder and deeper. I didn't post this mod before as I'm not that impressed with it....Thats why I've got some Yoshi RS3's (TLR model) bolt-ons coming now. Can't wait for a full system....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve already done the same thing to a stock set of TLR cans which are now on my sv1000 but you need to cut completely around the peashooters to get the right sound. Try using an air hammer if you have access. I just made one hole then nibbled away at the rest. I left the peashooters there for a completely stock look. Great sound no weasiness no money. Well I did buy the TLR cans used for $50 so that I could put it back to stock if it failed, but it was a major success. The TLR cans did have an extra internal tube or passageway stock for improved flow. The flages bolted right on but I needed to fabricate a bracket to mount the muffler bolts. The bike does seem to run about five degrees warmer now probably due to a slightly lean condition but nothing a PC111 and/or a little waterwetter wont cure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, thanks for the tip. I already drilled five holes around the pea shooter and got better sound than stock but it has the "wheezy" sount to it.

When you say cut completely around the pea shooter how wide of a cut you are talking about?

Ross

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is as wide as my airhammer blade is. It is shaped like a chisel so the cut is'nt much wider than a hack saw blade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those of you who drilled holes and wonder why you have a wheezy sound, read my post again and follow the directions. That's why I said to torch a 2" hole around the circumference of the pea shooters. Just drilling holes will make the bike sound wheezy. I went to all the trouble to post how to do this properly. Then you guys bitch and moan because you can't follow directions. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Fullmonte,

Hey dude, no need to be so tense....

As far as following your directions, you originally said to
cut large holes (approx 2 1/4) around the area where the 'pea shooters' exit the cans
. Interpreted literally, this appears to be very difficult. First off, you gave no unit of measurement; inches, centimeters, millimeters, yards, fathoms, leagues, kilometers, miles...etc. I assumed you meant inches, but for the life of me could not figure out how to get 2 1/4" holes cut when there is only about 1 1/2" of space around the pea shooter, at the widest point...Second, I assumed you meant multiple holes, and I for one couldn't visualize how all those holes would fit that small area surrounding the pea shooter. Then when you posted "better directions" two days later, the directions were to
cut a 2" hole around the pea shooters
. Then you proceeded to tell every one that everything was going to get hot !! No shit...

And last, I don't think anyone who made some attempts at duplicating your mod was bitching and moaning that the results weren't the same as yours, just that it didn't sound like we expected. But I'll bet the 308 people who viewed your post all came away a little confused as to what you meant, even after you
went to all the trouble to post how to do this properly
Give us all a break......

·
Registered
12 Posts
This week-end I broke down and bought myself a dremel for the sole purpose of removing the three spot welded bolts from the rear of each can.

The dremel tool did the job and left barely a scratch on the silver end cap.

After the end caps cap’s were removed I unbolted the cans and took them down to the local exhaust shop and instructed them to cut off the ‘pea shooters’ and also extract whatever else they could from inside the cans.

Once the pea shooters were removed a large bar was inserted into the 2” hole and wiggled about breaking out a solid looking pipe from within the can.

The resulting sound is awesome, not too loud, but not whisper quiet either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whoooa, what's the big deal? I thought the hole idea was experimenting, and posting the results so other people know what they are getting into.
Hey Jimbo, the easy solution to the wheeze is drilling more untill I get the sound I want... DONE!

Fullmonte, is it that much trouble to type??? Personally I enjoy to read the different things other owners of SV's are doing to their bikes and their results.

Happy trails

1 - 20 of 299 Posts