SV Portal banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One Big Mutha
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:supsmiley I recently purchased and installed a really cool grounding block and fused power block on my SV, and I thought I would share it with all.

The blocks come from a company in Tennessee called Electrical Connection (http://www.electricalconnection.com/), and they specialize in electrical components for motorcycles.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/photos/02207.jpg
http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pp-univ.JPG

These components were ordered from a stateside sport touring company called Twisted Throttle (http://www/twistedthrottle.com/). I have puchased many items through this company, including Givi racks, Givi luggage, Stebel Horns, SW-Motech risers and parts, and now these electrical components. Erik and all involved at Twisted are top notch.:supsmiley

The units themselves are quite simple by design, but the quality of the components is very good. I have multiple accessories added to my SV, including a Stebel horn, heated handgrips, alarm and electric clothing. All of these units require a fused connection to the hot side of my battery and a well grounded connection to the battery and/or frame.

As you can imagine, my terminals and connectors became quite messy and congested, with intermittent power and function of these accessories becoming quite regular due to overstacking the terminal connections. Voila, Electrical Connection to the rescue.

I added the grounding block under the the pillion seat, just to the right of the pillion seat release. Simply bolted in on, and it is well secured. Also happens to be on the negative terminal side of the battery:) .

I mounted the fused power panel to the pillion compartment floor, easily done because I have the rear fender/shovel still installed since my rig is a "tourer". Since the compartment floor is actually above the undertail, the screws mount nicely and don't protrude into the stock undertail. Since the tool kit is compact (not to mention weak in its components), simply moving it to the underside of one of my hardbag lids was a simple move and re-attachment procedure.

Run the power block lead to the positive terminal, run your power wires for your accessories both to the power and grounding blocks, fuse up the power plate for the respective power draw and your in business.

The kit also comes with a wiring harness that you link into your ignition circuit, so the power feed is shut off when the ignition is turned off. This harness also has battery tender hookup in which the power is automatically switched off to electrical system when the trickle charge starts to prevent electrical system damage.

I would highly recommend this item for anyone running multiple accessories, well worth the money and time to install the whole system.

You can find similar components out there for cheaper, but the quality of these itmes looked inferior to me. Not to mention the grounding and fused blocks didn't include automatic shutoffs and battery charging options.

Two thumbs up from this consumer!:supsmiley

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Phat-
Thanks for the link to twisted throttle, saved in favorites after a quick look.
Sounds like a great addition to the SV.
Ride safe---Gary in Asheboro,NC

·
caffeine/the other blood
2,017 Posts
That makes for a very neat connection point for accessories. Looks very nice.

·
The CAMinator
869 Posts
I installed something similar on my SV and put the power panel in the tool box tray. I wired mine so the power block is switched, that is it is only energized when I turn the key on, that way with the key off, no accessory is accidently left on and drains the battery.

Very neat installation you did also.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts

Attachments

·
One Big Mutha
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I still have to wire up the heated garments, need to find a better mounting bracket to have easy direct access to the ports. I'm going to look on some BMW/Ducati sites to find some mounting hardwares to make a neat, but hidden attachment for the heated goodies.

I like the fact that the plate still allows for expansion, eventually I'll be upgrading from my handheld GPS, to a nice mounted unit like Jerry has. 12 volt plug hidden someplace else is next, (for the portable pump and cell phone charger if I need it).

Almost time for the bike to come out for the season. Hit the high 50's here in New England the past two days, someone up the street just bought a new Honda Superchicken with pipes. Ripped it up and down the street a bit and got me drooling for that VTwin rumble. Season is here:supsmiley .

Cheers!

·
Trackday Junkie
265 Posts
Thanks, Phat. Coincidentally, I have been eyeing these two products for some time and was planning to buy them shortly.

I think I'll mount mine up in the front where most of my accessories will be (heated grips, radar detector, GPS, comms, etc.).

·
One Big Mutha
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Phat. Coincidentally, I have been eyeing these two products for some time and was planning to buy them shortly.

I think I'll mount mine up in the front where most of my accessories will be (heated grips, radar detector, GPS, comms, etc.).
I thought about that before I mounted it where I did, Dean, but then what about water and other exposed elements? The unit itself isn't water resistant, I question the possiblity of shorts. I figured the under pillion storage isn't waterproof either, but maybe less of a chance of getting really wet?

Just a thought after reading your post.

·
Trackday Junkie
265 Posts
That's good point and I'll have to consider that.

Most electrical connections on the bike are far from waterproof, but nonetheless, some weather protection isn't a bad idea.

I thought about that before I mounted it where I did, Dean, but then what about water and other exposed elements? The unit itself isn't water resistant, I question the possiblity of shorts. I figured the under pillion storage isn't waterproof either, but maybe less of a chance of getting really wet?

Just a thought after reading your post.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
This thread is nearly 10 years old but here goes.....

I've had a Centech AP-1 in my garage for a while that's waiting to be installed. Can someone with knowledge of electrics offer some advice?:

First, I intend to tap into one of the wires coming out of the fuse box so that the accessories are off when the motorcycle is off. Which wire should I use?

Second, is it necessary to install a relay with this device?

Thanks and happy new year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts