SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my brakes, fluid, clutch fluid. Start it to take test ride. Runs for a few seconds then dies. No power to the dash at all. But when I turned key all the way to left the rear brake lights up like it should but that’s it. What could be the source of zero power to cluster?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Changed my brakes, fluid, clutch fluid. Start it to take test ride. Runs for a few seconds then dies. No power to the dash at all. But when I turned key all the way to left the rear brake lights up like it should but that’s it. What could be the source of zero power to cluster?
Have you checked the dreadful GREEN CONNECTOR under the gas tank?
There are a few treads about it with pictures ad guide how to find it and fix it.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
The all the way to the left position is the parker light for safety on the side of the road at night.....not sure if that is actually seperate from the circuit the green connector is on....

As far as the rest of the bike, do any other electrical items work ? Does the pump spin up ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So to fix this I just cut out the green connector and wire straight together?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Pretty much yeah...... It is usually only one wire in there that has died, so installing a bypass for that one will solve it......
Of course, if you want to, replace the whole thing...... i had a waterproof connector and replaced the whole thing.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tex, I had a similar behavior with my 07 SV1000s with aftermarket full fairings. Rode 50+ miles to visit my Mom and Sister one Sunday morning and when I wanted to leave, I had no dash lights too. Completely dead except for the weirdest battery indications I’ve ever seen. A trickle charger showed full charge (green light) and a full on battery charger had nothing to offer either! I was thinking of the dreaded green connector issue too but after a bit more trouble shooting we determined that the battery was completely hollow. It showed 13.5 VDC but as soon as any load was placed on it, it lost all its volts !!!

the answer was simply to replace the battery and bow my iron horse is running fine.

Reactions: Missing Link

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
07blacksv1ks has a valid point.... take the battey out, charge it fully and then get it load tested at an auto electrican.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I M really confused now. Planned on getting access to green connector today. Turned key on powered up and started. Now what??

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,754 Posts
Ok I M really confused now. Planned on getting access to green connector today. Turned key on powered up and started. Now what??
In some cases of total power loss, the green connector will work intermittently. Basically, it works until it doesn't. Eventually though, it fails completely as the connections get more and more corroded leading to complete failure. You don't want to be hot in a corner when that happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct. Do not want to be stranded somewhere. Thank you so much for the heads up. Took for ride around neighborhood Nd got gas. Started back up, no problem. But I am glad you told me about it being sometimes intermittent. I do have something you may be able to help with. Low rpm rattle. Levels out around 4 k. Does not sound good at all. Suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this this low rpm rattle normal as I have been told or is it something I should be worried about? It just doesn’t sound right at all.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,754 Posts
Is this this low rpm rattle normal as I have been told or is it something I should be worried about? It just doesn’t sound right at all.
Have you by chance popped off the left side case cover and inspected your stator and magnets? You may have loose/destroyed magnets. If this is the case, it could certainly cause rattling due to an imbalanced flywheel and your battery won't charge correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Working on making this my daily driver and I’d like to be able to trust it to have no issues . Suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No I have not. Thank you for the suggestion. If that is the case what do you recommend to lock them in place?

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,754 Posts
No I have not. Thank you for the suggestion. If that is the case what do you recommend to lock them in place?
You're welcome! If they are undamaged, many of us have used the high temp JB Weld epoxy you mix from the two-part tubes. There are several posts/threads about how to do this. Just search for 'JB Weld magnets' and you should be able to find what you need.(y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts