SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am having a temp issue with my 07 sv1000s.
I bought the bike used yesterday with 3100km.
Now, I read the avg temp thread and everyone seems to be in the mid 80s to mid 90s for average running, maybe less in cooler weather. Then at stops they say it can jump to 105.

While I was riding my bike, and it had only been running a couple of minuted, it said 107 degrees celcius. I checked around and it ends up the radiator fan was bent (how that happened I don't know) so that it couldn't turn.

Now, I got the fan working, but it still only kicks in at 104 degrees, which most people barely ever hit. And even then it only takes it down a degree or two. I am riding consistantly at about 100 or the high 90s.

Mind you this is in 20 degree weather as well, im sure it would be hotter in the mid summer heat...

I was wondering what was wrong?
Can old coolant make this happen?
Maybe the oil cooler?
Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance guys

·
Roll on Summer.....
307 Posts
Hi I am having a temp issue with my 07 sv1000s.
I bought the bike used yesterday with 3100km.
Now, I read the avg temp thread and everyone seems to be in the mid 80s to mid 90s for average running, maybe less in cooler weather. Then at stops they say it can jump to 105.

While I was riding my bike, and it had only been running a couple of minuted, it said 107 degrees celcius. I checked around and it ends up the radiator fan was bent (how that happened I don't know) so that it couldn't turn.

Now, I got the fan working, but it still only kicks in at 104 degrees, which most people barely ever hit. And even then it only takes it down a degree or two. I am riding consistantly at about 100 or the high 90s.

Mind you this is in 20 degree weather as well, im sure it would be hotter in the mid summer heat...

I was wondering what was wrong?
Can old coolant make this happen?
Maybe the oil cooler?
Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance guys
can we assume you have checked coolant levels?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Glad you got the fan issue straightened out.

Don't worry that it only comes on at 104C. That is exactly where it is supposed to kick in. Mine also kicks in at 104C.

Even when the ambient temperature is 16C when I'm stuck in traffic or moving slowly then yes, the fan will come and and in your case it is coming on at the right temp set by suzuki.

You only need to start worrying if the temp exceeds 107C. By suzuki's recommendation if you ever see the temp hit 115C then it is recommended you shut off the bike and get it serviced or fixed.

Relax and enjoy.

This is just one of the quotes from the Engine Temp thread...

Here in MN during the Hot And Humid season I have hit 230 during 1 hour stop and go comutes.

I find that an old trick I used with my beater cars work- pull in the clutch and rev it to around 5 grand for 5 sec. Faster circulating fluid with no load pushes that green stuff through the rad faster. It'll drop around ten degrees.

But if I forget to do this no worries. I she starts to knock and loose power- then I would freak.

Nothing like that has happened yet though. Manual says your safe til 243.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup levels are fine, although they are still original (3 years old).
The heat is pretty bad though when my bikes off the frame gets super hot.

Could air be in the cooling system? Or would it have surely been worked out over 3 years (is air in the hoses only a problem when first changing coolant?).

Thanks for the tip I'll keep it in mind.

What I'm worried about is why it doesn't run in the 80s or even 90s.

Do you guys think a coolant change would do anything, my mechanic said probably not (hes a if it aint broke dont fix it kind of guy though)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine is the same, sits at 87-91 on the motorway and free flowing traffic, as soon as I stop in a hold up it goes over 100 but mine is the S and I reckon the fairing lowers probably don't help

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mines an S as well.
I just went on an hour long ride to see where and what the temps would be at.
I live in Toronto and it was 18 degrees celcius when I went out.

Temp rises quickly from start, about ten minutes (maybe less) until it is well into the 90s.

red lights I saw a high of 106 maybe even 107. When cruising with traffic (traffic doing about 30km h in a 40 zone) I would still hover around 100-104.
Highway it went down a fair bit about 88 was what I saw I think.

Seems like in traffic and tooling around town I am hovering around 100 degrees.

I know it is normal to go into the 100s but is it normal to hover around 100-104 for extended periods of time? I mean it got friggin hot on some of those stop lights. Thought my seat caught on fire, let alone my piping hot frame!!!

Thanks guys really appreciate the input!

·
Low down dirty whore
2,330 Posts
FYI the fan was bent because the owner laid her down on the left side. even a slow down can bend that POS fan/shroud. check for other damage

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There doesn't seem to be any other damage on the bike though, bar ends are in perfect condition so are the fairings there is no sign that it was ever laid down.

My mechanic said the fan housing had probably got banged against the front cylinder head. He said a hard wheelie landing could have done it.

I sure hope it wasn't laid down and repaired to stock...

·
Registered
545 Posts
red lights I saw a high of 106 maybe even 107. When cruising with traffic (traffic doing about 30km h in a 40 zone) I would still hover around 100-104.

I know it is normal to go into the 100s but is it normal to hover around 100-104 for extended periods of time? I mean it got friggin hot on some of those stop lights. Thought my seat caught on fire, let alone my piping hot frame!!!

Thanks guys really appreciate the input!
My bike gets pretty damn hot in stop and go or slow moving traffic, and it gets there in a hurry too... I'm in the US, so we go by Fahrenheit, and if I'm at a stop light for a while after prolonged riding, it will get as high as 220'ish and then cool down to like 210/212, and then heat back up(due to the fan cycling). Once I start moving after it's been that hot, it will usually go back to around 200'ish until I hit highway speeds at which point it generally hovers around 190-195.

It think you're probably fine. I would take a peek at the fins on the radiator though and make sure not too many of them are bent and smashed up, because that can seriously impact its ability to cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Yep, that sounds normal to me: SV1000s don't like slow traffic! Maybe you also have a tendency to load the engine (i.e. largish throttle on higher gears at low rpms e.g. 2-3Krpm) in traffic too? I find the engine stays a wee bit cooler if you let it rev more freely in the 4-5Krpm zone.

At the end of the day, it's a litre v-twin: heating up is inevitable (my bro in law reckons his ducati 996SPS is worse!).

·
International dogsbody
1,778 Posts
My 03s without lowers runs at 87C just about all the time when I'm moving 40mph or more. In slower traffic it quickly gets into the 90s and when stopped at lights the fan kicks in about 105 and toasts my left leg (why don't I feel it on the right?).
I've about 20K miles on the clock and the rad is not in A1 condition - plenty of bent fins from stone damage.
If it's running all the time near 100 I'd say it needs some attention - running weak?

The above info applies regardless of ambient temp - even on the few 30C days we get in the UK.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My old 03s would run 190ish F and would sit around 205/210ish F, but by 05sf runs a little hotter. I've had run super hot, where a light came on, so I pulled over and let it cool. That day was super hot and split traffic on the PCH for 5 or so miles!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well to answer your questions:

I do usually lug it at low rpms, I will try to rev higher.

It is not constantly around 100, only if riding in city traffic (slow moving) for prolonged periods

1 - 14 of 14 Posts