SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i was cruising around on my sv for 2 hours. nothing seemed wrong. well, i stopped to get coffee to let the engine cool down. well, i started it after about 20 mins of cooling, everything seemed fine. then i got on the sv and started riding again. i take a slow right turn and everything just stopped working. headlights, console, no priming noise after i tried to start it again. tried to start it a few more times and still nothing. so, i had to get it towed to my house. i've been working on the sv1000 all day. took off the tail fairings, gas tank, front fairings, air box, and disconnected all the plugs i took off after carefully marking everything. i inspected all the plugs to check for burns and shorts, looked at all the wiring on the left side of the bike. everything seems fine... i cleaned all the plugs and hooked everything back together. tried to start it and nothing still wants to come on. i checked the wires from the ignition and the connectors at the frame...all fine. i turn the key and the park lights and tail lights come on. i use the turn signals and no signals work but the tail light and park lights are flashing. headlight, console, horn, actual signal lights still don't work. it seems like i also have to find a sweet spot when i turn the key to get the park and tail lights to come on. the only thing i haven't tried or checked is the rectifier/regulator. has anyone encountered this problem????? any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
97 Posts
so, i was cruising around on my sv for 2 hours. nothing seemed wrong. well, i stopped to get coffee to let the engine cool down. well, i started it after about 20 mins of cooling, everything seemed fine. then i got on the sv and started riding again. i take a slow right turn and everything just stopped working. headlights, console, no priming noise after i tried to start it again. tried to start it a few more times and still nothing. so, i had to get it towed to my house. i've been working on the sv1000 all day. took off the tail fairings, gas tank, front fairings, air box, and disconnected all the plugs i took off after carefully marking everything. i inspected all the plugs to check for burns and shorts, looked at all the wiring on the left side of the bike. everything seems fine... i cleaned all the plugs and hooked everything back together. tried to start it and nothing still wants to come on. i checked the wires from the ignition and the connectors at the frame...all fine. i turn the key and the park lights and tail lights come on. i use the turn signals and no signals work but the tail light and park lights are flashing. headlight, console, horn, actual signal lights still don't work. it seems like i also have to find a sweet spot when i turn the key to get the park and tail lights to come on. the only thing i haven't tried or checked is the rectifier/regulator. has anyone encountered this problem????? any help is appreciated!
Green connector?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i looked at all the connectors, everything was great.....even put lube in all of them just to keep the corrosion out. have any more ideas....? i think tomorrow, i'm going to check the rectifier/regulator just to rule out all of what i'm thinking. i've heard of so many folks and connectors......that's what i checked first thing this morning. i tore my bike apart.....please keep the ideas coming, i welcome all thoughts....!!! i really miss my bike when i hear someone's bike roar! can't wait to solve this problem so i can ride again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i pulled every green connector, even that one at the front frame of my bike. i visually looked at every green connector there was. nothing is burned and all the wires of all the green connectors are all fine. so, this leads me to believe that it may be a rectifier? i'm really just guessing now. i don't have any power except when i find a sweet spot on the ignition, but this power is also a hit or miss. no head light, horn or blinkers....but when i activate the blinkers, it just makes the parking lights and tail light blink....i'm confused!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should check into your ignition switch itself, since you have to find a "Sweet spot" to get anything to come on, I would guess the ignition contacts in the switch itself are bad.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Sounds like an ignition switch to me. You might want to set some multimeter probes between the leads and start checking with a wiring diagram in hand. If the switch does not read correctly the switch can be dismantled and cleaned and contacts checked.

-MS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys, sometimes we just can't assume the past.....sometimes, it's our stubborn selves.
well, as an ** update** i finally got her running again. turns out, i was believing what my friends said to me about the green connectors, rectifier, and even ignition. i finally took the battery to autozone to get it checked. turns out that my battery finally died. all this time i've been hooking it up to my tender and checking for lights and ignition. i replaced it already and it roars like an elephant again...i love it!!! nutz.....i lost a good day of riding yesterday! thank you guys for all the ideas....i will keep them in my mind when something like this ever happens again.

·
Registered
920 Posts
turns out that my battery finally died. all this time i've been hooking it up to my tender and checking for lights and ignition.
Even hooked up to a tender the battery died? I've had the same battery 7 years now, with no battery tender... I'll have to keep that in mind if my bike fails to wake up one day! :whistle:

·
Registered
258 Posts
This happened to me as well. Bike cut out on the George Washington in NY on long ride home. Got it started again to hobble home but turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. This thing is when you hook it up to the tender if it charges up right away but drains quickly you've got a problem. New battery, all is well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, just an update.....yeah, actually, the new battery fixed everything. the flashing parking lights, tail lights, and sweet spot for the ignition. thanks guys for all the information i learned for all of you. she is actually my third bike.....i had an sv650s, vz800 before her. i guess i was thinking i changed the battery on the sv650, that's why i didn't bother with the sv1000s. they looked the same too! lol.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts