SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 SV1000S Vibrates really crazily above 5000 rpm. I had a TLR before this bike, and it never vibrated like quite this badly. I did a TB synch, and changed the oil (not to fix the issue, just recent maintenance). No change. I’m also hearing a very faint pinging sound at high rpm, both in gear and neutral. Like faint, rapid bell ringing.

is this a timing issue? Bike has 22k miles on it, and I haven’t serviced the valves yet. It’s the noise that’s concerning me most. Only mechanical mods are a 43T rear sprocket, gutted stock exhausts, and k&n air filter.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Definitely check valve clearances. While you are doing this, you'll be able to check the condition of your stator magnets which are notorious for breaking loose and in worst case scenarios, shattering to pieces. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is that you lost a wheel weight.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
I would probably check the rotor magnets first..... grab a gasket, or, some quality gasket sealant and carefully prise the cover off and
use the sealant to re-attach....
if the oil is at the top line, then lean the bike over a few degrees and you wont lose any oil.....
Unless the magnets are already JB Welded, then maybe think about getting them done anyway.....

Next port of call would be the clutch.....do you ever notice under real hard accelaration that you get what might seem like wheel spin, but is
in actual fact clutch slip ?
If so contact a member here called realshelby... he does WERKS clutch reworks......best thing since sliced bread mate..... the reduction in vibes is crazy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
confirmed, one of my flywheel magnets shattered. Is it possible to use 5 of them instead of 6?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
No....you need all 6 to generate enough power through the stator.....
If you look at the post in the link at the bottom, maybe you can buy a magnet from Everday Rider, or, he can buy one from you....

Everyday Rider did express the idea of buying a new rotor and JB Welding it....... therefore he would have magnets spare.....

Or, alternately, you might want to go down that path......if you or he wants to buy a new rotor, buy an 05 up one, they are lighter......but still need JB Weld....

Arter 60k km on odo, it happend

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
What is the benefit of lighter flywheel? Has anyone actually ridden with both and noticed a difference?

·
Registered
56 Posts
What is the benefit of lighter flywheel? Has anyone actually ridden with both and noticed a difference?
Moment of inertia: angular acceleration of a rigid body about an axis requires torque.
Mass and distribution of it will effect required torque. So if you are able to lower the mass or bring it closer to the center of the rotational axis the torque required are lowered.

The engine will be able to change revs (up and down) faster which will make it accelerate faster. Horsepower will remain unchanged.

I do not know how much of an effect it makes in the real world, but i believe the weight difference between the two should be enough to feel it while riding.

A K5 flywheel and Vstrom cluch (lighter than the SV cluch) will go into my K4 sometime in the near future - my hopes a high. And i also hopes it will not be too difficult taking off from a complete stop.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
There are some on here that have run the lighter flywheel, and yes, they indicate the bike spins up quicker for sure......

estevns is doing a similar thing to what i did clutch wise....i got mybasket corrected by WERKS Parts ( a member here called realshelby) and that removed a huge amount of vibes, and i also
removed the shakey old slipper (back torque limiter) hub, and replaced it with the 1st generation V-Strom hub, which is not a slipper type.......its lighter and has no moving parts to cause vibes.....
HUGE imporvement to the bike.......

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New magnet is in chaps. I used green loctite to glue the magnets back on, and steel epoxy putty to space them. Correct spacing is 8mm at the widest point (bottom of the sides of the magnets) for those wondering.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
There are some on here that have run the lighter flywheel, and yes, they indicate the bike spins up quicker for sure......
Well, if it spins up quicker then it must spin down quicker too. That would increase engine breaking, right?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Well, if it spins up quicker then it must spin down quicker too. That would increase engine breaking, right?
When you lose flywheel mass you also will spin down quicker...so yes...but only a little bit as the mass has only a minor influence on engine braking. The newer lighter style rotor works so well that Suzuki doesn't even offer the K3-4 heavier version anymore. I can't remember anyone who switched saying anything but positive comments about the lighter rotor.

·
Vendor
165 Posts
View attachment 117604 New magnet is in chaps. I used green loctite to glue the magnets back on, and steel epoxy putty to space them. Correct spacing is 8mm at the widest point (bottom of the sides of the magnets) for those wondering.
Might want to take a look at that putty after a short while. Some of that stuff isn't rated for oil immersion and has somewhat limited temperature tolerance.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
I am thinking of machining my spare 03 rotor as was done by another member recently..... i think he lost several pounds that way....maybe not as much as
an OEM 05 up rotor, but still pretty good....

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,128 Posts
I am thinking of machining my spare 03 rotor as was done by another member recently..... i think he lost several pounds that way....maybe not as much as
an OEM 05 up rotor, but still pretty good....
You can machine an 03/04 unit to the exact spec as the 05 and up, and even lighter if you wanted.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
You can machine an 03/04 unit to the exact spec as the 05 and up, and even lighter if you wanted.

-ms
Has anyone maybe got a diagram with measurements of the K5 up unit to use as a template ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone maybe got a diagram with measurements of the K5 up unit to use as a template ?
I still got the K5 flywheel on the shelf (waiting to go in, in a few weeks) that I can measure with a vernier caliper. Unfortunately I got nothing for more precise measurements at home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts