SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community,

I have a question if any of you every got problems with a leaky exhaust header on the SV1000S? From many posts i saw that the exhaust gasket is a common issue.

After recognizing that the gasket of my back header was broken i replaced it and did apply it with some "firegum", still had problems with gases coming out of the connector area. I did remove all exhaust parts again because i thought the gasket was not in position. But the gasket was ok.

At the back header (top pipe at cylinder) that there is a small gap little above the surface where the gasket sits.
Is that normal? It could be that the welding is not ok or something.?

Thank you guys for any comments / support from your side!

Greetings Max!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
I dont recall seeing that 2nd "ring" meaning the one one the low side of the gap...... But, if it is leaking, it MAY be a crack has developed somehow.....
Proabbly worth popping the header off the bike.....buy a new header to head gasket.... and get the header looked at properly inside and out......

RecoilRob and Schmidt314 have had these apart more of than i have had hot dinners, so they will probably speak with more authority than me.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Missing Link for the answer!

Just one question: To change the back header, is this possible without removing the rear suspension/spring? Which parts do i need to remove? Thx
(Doesn't look like there is much space to loosen the screws)

Greetings Max!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts