SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SV 1000 s 03
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm interested in making a permanent fix for flywheel magnets i have a k3 and would like to lighten and balanced the flywheel at the same time any ideas on the best way to go about this or how to capsulate the magnets would be great

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
schmidt314 is a memeber who can probably come along with some definitive answers on this.
There are some bikes out there with intergrated magnets in their rotors, but none of these will fit the SV....
The crank end is different, the firing triggers on the rotor are specific, and my mum doesn't approve of the changes either..... :D

I think that is pretty much it, but the member i mentioned will see your post and add/subtract to what i said

·
Registered
107 Posts
If i remeber corretly the forum member Jumjum went a little overboard and sort of did what you are describing.
He lightened the flywheel and welded some stocks into place which acted as pockets for the magnets.

Try to search a little.

Also i uploaded a drawing of the K5 flywheel which can be used to lighten a K3/4 flywheel.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
If i remeber corretly the forum member Jumjum went a little overboard and sort of did what you are describing.
He lightened the flywheel and welded some stocks into place which acted as pockets for the magnets............
Yeah, wasn't a fan of that adding metal idea, increases the weight of the rotor, and unless its a press fit, the magnets can still vibe themselves free of the rotor.....

·
Registered
SV 1000 s 03
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ye i did come across his flywheel mod but im thinking with Missing Link adding i mean im fine with epoxy or something similar as long as there captive there's no chance they will move

·
Registered
SV 1000 s 03
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not knowledgeable enough skilful or own the machines so ill be getting the work done i have been trying to call sharealike to maybe do it as i am after a clutch basket also but no answer
i am looking into the newer dl1000 flywheels also and if they can be modified to fit sv

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
im not knowledgeable enough skilful or own the machines so ill be getting the work done i have been trying to call sharealike to maybe do it as i am after a clutch basket also but no answer
i am looking into the newer dl1000 flywheels also and if they can be modified to fit sv
Dont know what has happened with the Sharealike guy, hop eits not health related.....nobody has had replies from them for a long time.... WERKS Parts in the USA are your only go really.

Yeah, i know shipping and the like hurts, but, i know his work is 100%....and the bike ? It would gladly have your children out of gratefulness.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I have a gen 1 sv650 and I turned the flywheel down to lighten it and I did it without removing the magnets the after machining. got worried after reading that it was a age thing that the standard magnet glue starts to let go.
The magnets can slide around affecting the charging and throwing the fly wheel out of balance.
I should have removed the magnets and re-glued them with jbweld, instead after machining coated all round the magnets and filled the gap between the magnets.
I am happy with my results and I know those magnets are going no where.
the 1 thing I would change is I used the jb weld with added steel and surprize it really have steel in it, and it keep changing shape to look like the magnetic fields, requiring me to keep massaging it back in place creating a untidy glue job.
So use the jbweld without steel.
Before removing magnets scribe round them and right numbers on the magnets both ends 1-12 if 6 magnets. and take pictures. I look at the pictures now and think I should have turned down the starter clutch a bit more.
Fluid Water Gas Automotive tire Tints and shades
Fluid Liquid Glass Gas Circle
Kitchen appliance Scale Home appliance Material property Gas
Automotive tire Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Rim

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,182 Posts
I have a late model DL rotor on my current bike. Crank end are different size so I just swapped in a 14 DL1000 crank. I lightened it a whole bunch.

I thought I updated topic here with those pictures.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
Hi I have a gen 1 sv650 and I turned the flywheel down to lighten it and I did it without removing the magnets the after machining. got worried after reading that it was a age thing that the standard magnet glue starts to let go.
The magnets can slide around affecting the charging and throwing the fly wheel out of balance.
I should have removed the magnets and re-glued them with jbweld, instead after machining coated all round the magnets and filled the gap between the magnets.
I am happy with my results and I know those magnets are going no where.
the 1 thing I would change is I used the jb weld with added steel and surprize it really have steel in it, and it keep changing shape to look like the magnetic fields, requiring me to keep massaging it back in place creating a untidy glue job.
So use the jbweld without steel.
Before removing magnets scribe round them and right numbers on the magnets both ends 1-12 if 6 magnets. and take pictures. I look at the pictures now and think I should have turned down the starter clutch a bit more.
Not sure the 650 had the same issue with the magnets.....but they are stuck now.....clean it up well ... And wow that flywheel is very thin.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure the 650 had the same issue with the magnets.....but they are stuck now.....clean it up well ... And wow that flywheel is very thin.....
Yes I cleaned it up and balanced it using a bearing on a shaft mounted in a vice. Its been on the bike over a year, full revs often and still going. Its a faction thicker than full race items I have seen on the net, I zoomed pictures on the net to work out what should be a safe amount to machine off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts