SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled my left engine cover to do the jb weld on my flywheel. My bike is away for the winter and I figured now to do it. I am going to get a puller to take it off and jb weld it in the house where its warmer. So I got the cover off and this is what I have. My question, since it seems as only one magnet has moved a little bit. Should I try and remove it and re attatch it or leave it as is and just jb weld as is? What might be the easiest way to remove a magnet without damaging it. Any info and comments or opinions appreciated.
TIA
Stave

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I pulled my left engine cover to do the jb weld on my flywheel. My bike is away for the winter and I figured now to do it. I am going to get a puller to take it off and jb weld it in the house where its warmer. So I got the cover off and this is what I have. My question, since it seems as only one magnet has moved a little bit. Should I try and remove it and re attatch it or leave it as is and just jb weld as is? What might be the easiest way to remove a magnet without damaging it. Any info and comments or opinions appreciated.
TIA
Stave
once I get the rotor off, would it work to put it in an oven at say 400 degrees for an hour or so to soften the magnet glue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my experience about 170°C is what it takes for the stock glue to let go.
If you have a heat gun apply heat from the outside of the flywheel only at the area covered by the magnet. 5 mins or so should be enough.
Too much heat weakens the magnetism permentely, so need need to shove it on the oven at far too high temperature for too long.
I have the flywheel off. I only have to shift 1 magnet about 1/8 " I was thinking of not even messing with it and just JB weld as is. I may try the heat gun since I have 1.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
After looking further I seen 2 other magnets shifted slightly. The heat gun worked great and I was able to remove all 6 magnets in about 10 minutes. It actually looks like oil is getting behind the epoxy ,with the hub being so smooth there is no adhesion. I'm gonna clean and prep it all and J B weld the magnets in place, then fill the gaps after the magnets set.
. Automotive tire Hood Blue Motor vehicle Wood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts