SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
Yeah.....just gently prise it off, see if you can force it outwards into your hand, rather than lifting the end....clean and prep the rotor for filling the gaps.....then clean the back of
the loose magnet and rotor with some grit paper, cleaning again.....and put the thinnest smear of JB on the back, clamp it in place for 4 or 5 hours and while you are waiting
for it to set, fill the rest of the gaps.......

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
Yeah, that'll do it....but remember to take the one way clutch off the back of the rotor.......no need to roast it too....

Be aware that the other magnets may come loose with it.....

Oh, and remember that the magnets are north south poled.....so, make sure they go back in the same direction as removed

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
I have the flywheel off. I only have to shift 1 magnet about 1/8 " I was thinking of not even messing with it and just JB weld as is. I may try the heat gun since I have 1.
You do realise that it has altered the balance of the rotor ? I know its only a little, and adding the extra JB in that larger gap may not help as it is different in weight to the
equivelant portion of magnet it is substituting.....

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
After looking further I seen 2 other magnets shifted slightly. The heat gun worked great and I was able to remove all 6 magnets in about 10 minutes. It actually looks like oil is getting behind the epoxy ,with the hub being so smooth there is no adhesion. I'm gonna clean and prep it all and J B weld the magnets in place, then fill the gaps after the magnets set.
. View attachment 117803

Good move......the thinnest of thin smears without gaps on the backs of them is all you need......and make sure you get them going north south north south all the way round.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
I'm not aware of this magnet thing, what are the symptoms? My '03 feels pretty smooth (sv1000s). At 85 mph or so I notice just a slight vibration but nothing serious. I've noticed it more with the new Corbin seat as it sits lower & is thinner.
An ounce of prevention......cause the tears you shed otherwise cause corrosion in other parts of the bike......check it out.....like oldbaldsob said, it gets real ugly ......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts