SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
After some polish and stuff, did like 50m test drive and saw that one of my suspension is leaking. So, my question is, can there be some internal damage inside of the suspension? Or just changeing the seal helps to fix it(last seal and oil change was like 5k km back, didnt do it by myself).

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
Replace the seal, and be sure to inspect the tube for stone nicks or dings that may have damaged the existing seal.

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okey, btw how big amount of oil difference in the suspensions is noticeable? I mean oil should be equal at both suspensions. Not that I worrey about my oil loss, not much there, cause didnt have leaks before crash. But imagine if someone drives alot before noticing leak.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Hello,
After some polish and stuff, did like 50m test drive and saw that one of my suspension is leaking. So, my question is, can there be some internal damage inside of the suspension? Or just changeing the seal helps to fix it(last seal and oil change was like 5k km back, didnt do it by myself).
View attachment 117657
What brand of seals did you use? Did you also replace the wipers? I see low quality seals all the time that do not last.

As stated, make sure there are no dings in the chrome. Also check that slider bushings are tight and that the fork is cleaned out well.

-ms

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,775 Posts
It's worth a shot to simply clean around the fork seal as described in this YouTube video below.

Anecdotally, I restored a 1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 last summer and it had one fork seal that was leaking badly. I tried cleaning the seal and after four passes with a homemade tool, it worked brilliantly!

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand of seals did you use? Did you also replace the wipers? I see low quality seals all the time that do not last.

As stated, make sure there are dings in the chrome. Also check that slider bushings are tight and that the fork is cleaned out well.

-ms
They seem to be some universal seals. About wipers, I have no idea. Just took it to service and told em to change seals and oil. They also straightend some rod that was bent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had two forks seals go in just a couple of thousand miles.
Last time I used genuin Suzuki seals but they only lasted 1500 miles.
The chrome in the forks is “ as new “ , no wear, rust, damage etc.
This time I checked the upper and lower fork seal bushes and found there was some wear to them. It has done 71,000 miles.

I replaced the fork bushes and put aftermarket seals in which seemed to be made of a softer material. Maybe the genuine Suzuki seals last time we’re old stock and had age hardened ?

i usually 500cc of 5w oil in each leg... this time I put 460 cc in of 7.5w oil in.

I am extra careful when fitting seals, use old seal above to gently and evenly tap new seal in, everything is cleaned repeatedly , a 100 mile run showed no more leaks, only time will tell if they last this time.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
I got roughly 240k kms from my orignal forks (07 gixxer now) and did the seals 4 times.... used OEM first, then Ariete after that, no real difference in mileage.
The OEM ones even survived a stone chip in the chrome which made it leak...filled the chip with epoxy and sanded it smooth and topped of the fluid and no leak.

Biggest mistake i see is when people decide to linish (sand) the legs, they go up and down the leg, instead of round and round at slight angles....leaves grooves for oil to weep through ever so lightly.....

I agree on the 7.5w in standard legs though..... helped mine a lot.... do you set the oil level by air gap height or just fluid qty ?

Reactions: Urbanjugle
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.