SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
After some polish and stuff, did like 50m test drive and saw that one of my suspension is leaking. So, my question is, can there be some internal damage inside of the suspension? Or just changeing the seal helps to fix it(last seal and oil change was like 5k km back, didnt do it by myself).

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,325 Posts
Replace the seal, and be sure to inspect the tube for stone nicks or dings that may have damaged the existing seal.

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okey, btw how big amount of oil difference in the suspensions is noticeable? I mean oil should be equal at both suspensions. Not that I worrey about my oil loss, not much there, cause didnt have leaks before crash. But imagine if someone drives alot before noticing leak.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,136 Posts
Hello,
After some polish and stuff, did like 50m test drive and saw that one of my suspension is leaking. So, my question is, can there be some internal damage inside of the suspension? Or just changeing the seal helps to fix it(last seal and oil change was like 5k km back, didnt do it by myself).
View attachment 117657
What brand of seals did you use? Did you also replace the wipers? I see low quality seals all the time that do not last.

As stated, make sure there are no dings in the chrome. Also check that slider bushings are tight and that the fork is cleaned out well.

-ms

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,750 Posts
It's worth a shot to simply clean around the fork seal as described in this YouTube video below.

Anecdotally, I restored a 1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 last summer and it had one fork seal that was leaking badly. I tried cleaning the seal and after four passes with a homemade tool, it worked brilliantly!

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand of seals did you use? Did you also replace the wipers? I see low quality seals all the time that do not last.

As stated, make sure there are dings in the chrome. Also check that slider bushings are tight and that the fork is cleaned out well.

-ms
They seem to be some universal seals. About wipers, I have no idea. Just took it to service and told em to change seals and oil. They also straightend some rod that was bent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts