SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm currenlty trying to remove the fuel pump/filter assembly from my tank as I'm intending to convert to external filter but it just doesn't want to extract through the hole. Part of the assembly at the upper end seems to stick out making the overall diameter of this part greater than the hole diameter, hoperully this is clear in the pictures below.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Locking hubs Vehicle brake

I've seen a video on YT where the guy just jiggles it a bit at this point and out it comes but not on my bike. Perhaps the later assembly is different but the thing went in there so presumably it should come out. Seems like some sort of "ship in a bottle" shennanigans is going no here.

I'd appreciate any suggestions at this point!

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
In the lower pic, if, before getting that far out, you tilt the assembly upwards (as per pic) so that portion exits first, then straighten ?

My 03 unit is mroe streamlined than yours and only has one thermistor, so it pretty much falls out.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response ML.
That's pretty much what I've tried, in fact I've tried tilting all sorts of ways but it just seem too wide, only way I can see it coming out is if I force it enough to deform some part of it so that it fits the hole but in doing that I stand just as much chance of breaking something. Then I will be in a mess! I'll have another go tomorrow, maybe the elves will come in overnight and sort it for me!

· Registered
229 Posts
Your fuel pump is newer model, we got different one on our 03's.
Looks like the part in your pic causing you trouble to get it out is the fuel pressure regulator clamp, its possible it popped out and sticks out which could be the culprit and make it harder to get out.
Take your time and wiggle w it, it should come out...need zen patience.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your fuel pump is newer model, we got different one on our 03's.
Looks like the part in your pic causing you trouble to get it out is the fuel pressure regulator clamp, its possible it popped out and sticks out which could be the culprit and make it harder to get out.
Take your time and wiggle w it, it should come out...need zen patience.
Thanks UK, I thought there may have been changes for the later model. Good point about the part which is conflicting having moved, that's part of the problem I guess, I don't know what I'm dealing with until I get it out and I don't know how to get it out until I know what I'm dealing with! I'll have a look and see if I can find some photo's of the later pump see if I can work out how that part is attached, I may be able to removing while it's in the tank and then re-assemble in correct place once I have all the parts on the bench. Alternatively I may be able to push it back into its rightful place whilst in the tank to allow me to extract it.

Must admit I'm now a little concerned that the conversion to an external filter which I've read so much about may not be applicable to the later assembly, bit more research needed perhaps.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Thanks UK, I thought there may have been changes for the later model. Good point about the part which is conflicting having moved, that's part of the problem I guess, I don't know what I'm dealing with until I get it out and I don't know how to get it out until I know what I'm dealing with! I'll have a look and see if I can find some photo's of the later pump see if I can work out how that part is attached, I may be able to removing while it's in the tank and then re-assemble in correct place once I have all the parts on the bench. Alternatively I may be able to push it back into its rightful place whilst in the tank to allow me to extract it.

Must admit I'm now a little concerned that the conversion to an external filter which I've read so much about may not be applicable to the later assembly, bit more research needed perhaps.
Have a look at this ebay listing (below)..... you can see multiple angles of the pump..... they have it listed as 03-07, which is crap.....its 05 up .....but it will sort you out.
i would say its the fuel pressure regulator thats usetting the apple cart... and maybe it has popped off, and its causing your issues....

FUEL PUMP pictures

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ML
Funilly enough I was looking at those same photo's earlier this afternoon, it is definitely that sticky out bit which is causing the problem.
I've started thinking that I may be better simply bolting the assembly back in and leaving it well alone but then I'm thinking that if that part (which I agree it most likely the regulator) has shifted then it could shift again/more and cause a failure so probably should sort it out now. Decisions, decisions.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Better off tackling it now. If its dislodged at all now, you will be getting low pressures at the injectors. If it comes free while you are pulling it out, then it can be retrieved and fitted.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Better off tackling it now. If its dislodged at all now, you will be getting low pressures at the injectors. If it comes free while you are pulling it out, then it can be retrieved and fitted.
Yeah, that's more or less how I'm viewing it at the moment. It's one of those times where you wish you had one on the bench to work out how the assembly works as the one thing I need to avoid is damaging it due to the crazy cost of replacement.

Unfortunately didn't get time last night (and it was too cold in the garage) but hopefully get on tonight.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eventually managed to extract it. Got better light on it and realised that the upstanding part is formed to allow the unit to come out if pulled straight up, problem is it is only just big enough for the hole and needs to be wiggled around a good bit. Seems crazy that Suzuki didn't make the hole just a mm or two bigger but all good now. Just need to drill out to bypass the internal filter now and then should be good for sorting out the external jobbie and refitting the tank. May be good to go at the weekend.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just in case it helps others in future. The following photo shows the area at the top of the pump/regulator/filter assembly viewed from underneath. The curved part of the white plasstic is where the pump normally resides.

Toy Sleeve Collar Audio equipment Jewellery

As shown this is clipped in correctly but is still a very tight fit in the access hole. Also tight going back in.

I've shown below some photo's of the hole I drilled (Small round one)
Toy Beak Finger Gas Thumb

This is looking staight(ish) down the bore where the outlet pipe plugs in, the angle of the hole is evident and the end of the (now bypassed) filter can be seen in the chamber which has been accessed. Hole size is 5mm.

Also quite impressed with the internals of the tank, bearing in mind this is over 17 years old and has probably never been accessed the tank was spotless inside, no corrosion of any kind evident. Also the pre-filter had very little debris.
Automotive lighting Bivalve Shell Seafood Clam
Toy Hat Automotive design Engineering Metal

Not much but just as well those pieces didn't go through the pump!

The bowl that this sits in had virtually no debris.

Attachments

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Excellent work mate. Glad you got it sorted. Assume you are using a Mahle KL145 external filter ? I did first up, then i swapped in a UFI brand one, which was a bit cheaper.
I ran the Mahle for 30k km's, and decided that after that, it was probably full of whatever crap that shook free from the internal filter, so i replaced it.
I backflushed it and i was right, it was feral inside.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent work mate. Glad you got it sorted. Assume you are using a Mahle KL145 external filter ? I did first up, then i swapped in a UFI brand one, which was a bit cheaper.
I ran the Mahle for 30k km's, and decided that after that, it was probably full of whatever crap that shook free from the internal filter, so i replaced it.
I backflushed it and i was right, it was feral inside.
Cheers ML
I think the one I got is the UFI, not got that far yet still in the box, was hoping to get it on this evening but if freezing out in the garage (and a bit cramped) at the moment so abandoned it, hopefully weekend.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Don't know how you survive! Beginning to understand how you managed to clock up so many miles.

Ha ha...we get some cold stuff here and there, but rarely snow in rideable areas.....i ride to work in -1 to -2 plus the wind chill during winter....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts