SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed gearing up? (bigger front/smaller sprocket back). It is hard to accelerate fast in first gear since bike will wheelie even if I you lean forward over the gas tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone commented that he used an 18-tooth pinion, that's personal taste, in my strom I use a crown with two more teeth to have a shorter first in the field. Try, it's cheap ...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
18T front sprocket works well...though you still probably won't be able to give it full throttle in 1st gear. I ended up lengthening the swingarm about 4.5" to stop the wheelies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The longer N swingarm could compensate a little bit for the lower gearing. The chain is two links longer and if I remember correctly the swingarm itself is 20mm longer.

Got a S swingarm for cheap (really cheap). Was going to inspect and lube the rear on my bike. So preped the swingarm ahead of time and was able to do the swap in no time.
Due to cold weather I've only been riding it once since the swap, but its still easy to keep the front wheel down in first.

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s (YC2)
109 Posts
I have run a 18t front at times. Not to change how it launches though, to reduce cruising rpm when I go on a longer trip.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,272 Posts
I have run a 18t front at times. Not to change how it launches though, to reduce cruising rpm when I go on a longer trip.
Be curious to know what effect that had on fuel economy ?

Remembering that your speedo is out of wack, unless you run a speedo healer or similar......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Run 18T front. Did this to lower hi speed cruising rpm. Don't know how it affected mpg. If you are happy with the gearing other than wheelies in 1st @ WOT, suggest you learn throttle control vs changing the gearing.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Be curious to know what effect that had on fuel economy ?

Remembering that your speedo is out of wack, unless you run a speedo healer or similar......
I've wondered and asked about this as well. Nobody has done any real scientific study but the general consensus is that mileage isn't affected to a huge degree.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,113 Posts
I've wondered and asked about this as well. Nobody has done any real scientific study but the general consensus is that mileage isn't affected to a huge degree.
I tried it on my commuter for about 20k miles.
I didn’t see any significant change in mileage.

-ms

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've had a FuelBot installed for almost the entire life of the bike....and fuel mileage DID improve with the 18T...but not dramatically. It's a nice change because it lowers the rpm a bit and makes the speedometer closer to accurate...but remember that the speedo and odometer will never both be correct at the same time so if you correct one you're throwing the other out farther. I have the speedometer corrected electronically but then have the FuelBot corrected to record the mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts