SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do I get my 05 S to rev a little harder. On the track it goes flat at around 10k or just below. Yoshy exhaust, K&N filter, pair mod for the breather (this helped), lifted tank. Any other cheap ideas ? Don't want to spend huge $$ I'm going to buy a dedicated track bike not an SV.

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s (YC2)
113 Posts
Easy, perhaps oxygenated fuel.

Cheap, adjusting the cam timing.

Or just a quick shifter, get it into the next gear and enjoy the torque.

Sounds like you've got the basic bolt on tweaks figured out. After that you work harder, or spend more, for the next few hp.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,182 Posts
So how do I get my 05 S to rev a little harder. On the track it goes flat at around 10k or just below. Yoshy exhaust, K&N filter, pair mod for the breather (this helped), lifted tank. Any other cheap ideas ? Don't want to spend huge $$ I'm going to buy a dedicated track bike not an SV.
Stock midpipes and bolt on cans will not make power up top very well. M4 is a big help.

Have you done all service and maintenance?
Make sure have full fuel pressure at wide open throttle under load.
Have you tuned it on the dyno?

DO NOT just pour oxygenated race fuel in without getting it on the dyno.

-ms

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock midpipes and bolt on cans will not make power up top very well. M4 is a big help.

Have you done all service and maintenance?
Make sure have full fuel pressure at wide open throttle under load.
Have you tuned it on the dyno?

DO NOT just pour oxygenated race fuel in without getting it on the dyno.

-ms
Yes done all the basics to be honest the bike is running well I just wanted a little less gap to the 1k bikes out there :) :) Its hard catching them and passing under brakes from so far back :) :) No no Dyno tune I know there is more hiding in there with this done. Think I'll just ride it and keep looking for a track bike. No race gas it runs fine on 91.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was in a similar position as you after doing about 6 track days last season on the SV. It has good grunt out of corners, but ran out of steam up top compared to the I4s. My only recommendation (that probably has little benefit at best) is to remove the secondary throttle plates for better airflow at high revs. If you aren't chasing power then lightened engine internals are another consideration, however this won't be cheap.

My best track upgrades were re-springing the forks for my weight, GSXR1000 shock swap, rearset riser plates, grippier footpegs, more aggressive brake pads, and just staying on top of maintenance. Worked well enough to get me into A group, but rather than going wild with the SV I personally ended up buying a cheap K5 GSXR600 that was fully set up for the track. I'm sure I will take the SV back out to the track again, but I think it is an excellent street bike and that is what I will primarily use it as from now on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in a similar position as you after doing about 6 track days last season on the SV. It has good grunt out of corners, but ran out of steam up top compared to the I4s. My only recommendation (that probably has little benefit at best) is to remove the secondary throttle plates for better airflow at high revs. If you aren't chasing power then lightened engine internals are another consideration, however this won't be cheap.

My best track upgrades were re-springing the forks for my weight, GSXR1000 shock swap, rearset riser plates, grippier footpegs, more aggressive brake pads, and just staying on top of maintenance. Worked well enough to get me into A group, but rather than going wild with the SV I personally ended up buying a cheap K5 GSXR600 that was fully set up for the track. I'm sure I will take the SV back out to the track again, but I think it is an excellent street bike and that is what I will primarily use it as from now on.
Yeh you are taking my language done the forks, shock, pads and ohauled the calipers. Don't think I'll bother with the 2nd butterfly's as really it's my street hack. Not found a track bike yet but I'm on the hunt...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts