SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new on the forum. Bought an '06' sv1000 with 40,000k on the clock. It ran great when I bought it, I rode it for an hour to get back to my shop and it has not started again since. My mechanic says the fuel pump is toast and I can't argue as I was right next to him when he put the multimeter to it and tried several times and different ways to get it to do something. Anything. so, the factory replacement is crazy money and I am looking for help, suggestions or links to threads on here that cover this. I'm sure it has been covered I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

T

·
Registered
35 Posts
User RecoilRob have been making so good posts and discussion about fuel delivery, you might want to read his stuff: RecoilRob

Try to describe 'toast'. Does it not run at all? Does it flow just a little fuel? And how is wiring, connector, and relay holding up?
Others here at the forum are way more experienced than I am, but i don't think I stumbled upon a dead pump, but other related problems I have. The filter by-pass is a common mod, and I believe the regulator goes bad from time to time.
Also looking like the pump itself is shared with some earlier GSX-R and Busa Gen1. You might even be able to find a eBay knockoff.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,272 Posts
Hi all, I'm new on the forum. Bought an '06' sv1000 with 40,000k on the clock. It ran great when I bought it, I rode it for an hour to get back to my shop and it has not started again since. My mechanic says the fuel pump is toast and I can't argue as I was right next to him when he put the multimeter to it and tried several times and different ways to get it to do something. Anything. so, the factory replacement is crazy money and I am looking for help, suggestions or links to threads on here that cover this. I'm sure it has been covered I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

T
I agree in part with estevns reply...... It is pretty rare for the pump itself to die..... the testing method may result in a "false negatiive" (not a covid thing.. ha ha ) ....
RecoilRob is probably the best overall responder to this, so maybe send him a PM and see if he replies...

There are aftermarket pumps available, but probably requuire the fitment of an external fuel filter. Mahle KL145 is the go for the filter.... spliced into the fuel delivery hose....
There is a thread out there about this.......must be followed carefully to get the best results, but, you can chnage the filter every 4th service, unlike the in-tank one.....

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,113 Posts

Thanks in advance.

T
I use Quantum pump kits all the time with good success.
Don’t get any high volume or high pressure set ups. Just the OEM replacement. Also make sure the high pressure side filter module is not plugged up.

Get the Quantum unit installed and do the 10 second flow test. Healthy new system can produce 450+ ccs.

Anything below 250 and you can start to see problems on the 1000s and if it way low at the 150cc mark, it will not run right. At that point you need to either replace the internal high pressure filter module or do the bypass and add an external filter.

-ms

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on. As expected, ask and ye shall receive. thanks guys I will follow up and post results...and most likely more questions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
User RecoilRob have been making so good posts and discussion about fuel delivery, you might want to read his stuff: RecoilRob

Try to describe 'toast'. Does it not run at all? Does it flow just a little fuel? And how is wiring, connector, and relay holding up?
Others here at the forum are way more experienced than I am, but i don't think I stumbled upon a dead pump, but other related problems I have. The filter by-pass is a common mod, and I believe the regulator goes bad from time to time.
Also looking like the pump itself is shared with some earlier GSX-R and Busa Gen1. You might even be able to find a eBay knockoff.
Doesn't run at all. I am in the midst of doing more homework on this but I am piss poor at electrical so need to get a friend to help. that is taking some time. Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree in part with estevns reply...... It is pretty rare for the pump itself to die..... the testing method may result in a "false negatiive" (not a covid thing.. ha ha ) ....
RecoilRob is probably the best overall responder to this, so maybe send him a PM and see if he replies...

There are aftermarket pumps available, but probably requuire the fitment of an external fuel filter. Mahle KL145 is the go for the filter.... spliced into the fuel delivery hose....
There is a thread out there about this.......must be followed carefully to get the best results, but, you can chnage the filter every 4th service, unlike the in-tank one.....
Good stuff, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff, thanks
Okay, Recoil Rob has tons of info but I feel I need more visual clues. Also, what could produce the false negative whe testing the pump? He put the test light to it and it was acting like it was burnt out. What else could I look at to see fi it is something else and what else is there that contributes. Not trying to be a tool just need to be pointed in the right direction. thanks

T

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The fuel pump is a centrifugal type with no real parts to wear, but it needs flow through itself to cool and if/when the filter becomes clogged it'll run like crazy trying to feed the bike...but won't be able to pump anything and can die. Pull the fuel line off of the TB's and turn on the ignition key...does fuel come out? If not...then you need to remove the pump. It's simple once you have it in your hand and replacements aren't expensive these days. Amazon has listings for a bunch of them...https://www.amazon.com/Caltric-SV1000S-SV-1000-2003-2005-Automotive/dp/B00KGDJBZQ/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=sv1000+fuel+pump&qid=1620976137&s=automotive&sr=1-15 For all they cost...you might as well replace it if you take it out. Bypass the stock high pressure filter which is the black housing that the pump fits in..you'll see how the pump plugs into it and how the fuel goes up then back down and out to the engine. Drill across this passage to bypass the filter then install the KL145 as suggested by Missing Link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay thanks. I saw the bypass/hole drilling plan. I'll try out the open fuel line test first. Appreciate the help. May come back at you with my next problem but first things first.

Cheers,

·
Registered
118 Posts
keep us posted on your fuel pump repair so we know what gremlin cause that.
i never had any prob w pump on my 03 and it has 35K miles, only had to replace pump on my TLS and used Quantum brand, bypassed in tank fuel filter , installed exterior in line filter and it works without any issues.
since we talking fuel pumps, wonder if 650 pump work too or it has not sufficient fuel supply?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
keep us posted on your fuel pump repair so we know what gremlin cause that.
i never had any prob w pump on my 03 and it has 35K miles, only had to replace pump on my TLS and used Quantum brand, bypassed in tank fuel filter , installed exterior in line filter and it works without any issues.
since we talking fuel pumps, wonder if 650 pump work too or it has not sufficient fuel supply?
SV's share tanks and pump modules...as well as other Suzuki models using basically the same pump setup. The least expensive automotive FI pump is more than adequate for a liter bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fuel pump is a centrifugal type with no real parts to wear, but it needs flow through itself to cool and if/when the filter becomes clogged it'll run like crazy trying to feed the bike...but won't be able to pump anything and can die. Pull the fuel line off of the TB's and turn on the ignition key...does fuel come out? If not...then you need to remove the pump. It's simple once you have it in your hand and replacements aren't expensive these days. Amazon has listings for a bunch of them...https://www.amazon.com/Caltric-SV1000S-SV-1000-2003-2005-Automotive/dp/B00KGDJBZQ/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=sv1000+fuel+pump&qid=1620976137&s=automotive&sr=1-15 For all they cost...you might as well replace it if you take it out. Bypass the stock high pressure filter which is the black housing that the pump fits in..you'll see how the pump plugs into it and how the fuel goes up then back down and out to the engine. Drill across this passage to bypass the filter then install the KL145 as suggested by Missing Link.
Okay, seriously, that thing is $19!!?? And the factory one is a grand? what am I missing here? For that money I could buy and replace 50 fuel pumps before I matched the factory cost. Wow. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Okay, seriously, that thing is $19!!?? And the factory one is a grand? what am I missing here? For that money I could buy and replace 50 fuel pumps before I matched the factory cost. Wow. Thanks for the tip
If you buy the factory pump you get the whole module...mounting plate with lines, filter, low fuel sensors ect. When you just need to replace the actual pump...cheap! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts