SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when I get aggressive on the throttle my bike stutters pretty hard. I have a 2003 SV1000s. I have cleaned the fuel filter on the pump checked my injectors ran some b12 and seafoam thru the gas. Everything seems to be in working order no codes popping up. I need to check the pressure on the fuel lines. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this maybe Im running too lean or something, I just cant figure it out!!!! Please help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you sure it's fuel? Spark plugs break down under load as well. Sounds simple I know and you may have already eliminated but sometimes it's easy to overlook. Cheers.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
Changing the spark plugs was one of the first things I did. Less than 200 miles ago
Is this happening part way through the rev range ? say about 5500 up ? Or from idle ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Did you get the woodruff key and everything lined up right ? By 5500 you're well into full advance if it was a carbed bike. Do the EFI ones meddle with advance when throttle is opened.
Anyway in the world of carburetion, problems when opening the throttle (sputtering, soft response etc etc) are indications its rich. Problems in steady state throttle/Cruise like lean surging, misfiring, running hot etc are lean. You're showing signs of being rich.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to take the bike into the shop to get the rotor off. I was having a super hard time getting it off nor did I have the proper tools for such an event. I sure hope they put that key back in right. It's that little half moon that goes In a slot on the crankshaft to stop the rotor from slipping correct??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yea that's the woodruff key. Anyway by 5500 your timing is fully advanced. The only question (and I'm EFI ignorant) is if the throttle position, or vacuum or anything feeds into that advance curve retarding it. It certainly cant advance any more, it will detonate. Now I'll stick with my theory on jetting - somehow you're getting richer than you should be. If it was carbed, I'd say check your float level or your needle/main jet combo and lean out if needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately it is fuel injected. I took the injectors out and made sure they had a good spray and changed the o ring. I dont know a whole lot about EFI either. I already checked my TPS which is also in good shape. I dont want to just throw money at it and not fix the issue but that being said do you think PC would help get my mixture correct. I already paid alot for the rotor and stator so Ive decided to invest in this bike and do what I can to build me a sick beast!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Someone who knows the feeds to the EFI controller will be along soon.
5500 is 5500 electronically unless it alters something based on throttle position.
Your symptoms are rich, clogged up anything will make it lean. You've got a bad signal coming in to the EFI altering either the timing or the fuel map.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
I would be checking that the crank sensor hasn't been damaged.....it picks up the firing points from the rotor pegs.....
or that is been bolted back in properly, if it was removed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The more I think about it That sensor might be the problem being the stator and rotor were replaced. I didnt have this problem before the work was done to the bike

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
Yeah, check the wiring of the pickup....it is a turd of a thing to put in correctly, and of they didn't follow the correct path, it may have been pinched or cut inside the cover...
Also check were the pickup loom connects, under the seat, left side, between the frame rail and the seat plastic....beside the stator plug.....

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,199 Posts
The more I think about it That sensor might be the problem being the stator and rotor were replaced. I didnt have this problem before the work was done to the bike
I have seen a couple of aftermarket stators that used incorrect crank position sensors. The sensor was the type needed for TL1000.

I would still check fuel pressure.

-ms

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have seen a couple of aftermarket stators that used incorrect crank position sensors. The sensor was the type needed for TL1000.

I would still check fuel pressure.

-ms
is it possible to switch out the sensor because i still have the old stator and i noticed the plug is not snug in the connector

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,199 Posts
is it possible to switch out the sensor because i still have the old stator and i noticed the plug is not snug in the connector
Yes, you can swap out.

I would be contacting shop or supplier of who supplied it to you to enquirer.

-ms

1 - 19 of 19 Posts