SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer having a single connector instead of 4 spades or 4 bullets etc.
This is the one from the ignition switch right ?
Could we put the 4 + 4 into a larger say 6 + 6 molex housing so the wires are further apart ? Does it burn from them shorting across to each other ?
I actually also believe many many many cars and other bikes have pigtails with that type of connector. How is it a problem in this bike ?
I think my GS also has that green color but a different molex, As does the savage that's apart and literally it sits under the seat, waiting for some fat ass to get on it and crunch it - and yet, that was never an issue.
Would swapping the connector for a GS or savage type 4+4 molex work ?
Or if its 1 wire that is too high a current and that's the wire that always burns, we can swap it for a relay - which is almost required for all british cars from the 60's and 70's, Jag's Aston Martin, triumph, MG etc etc.
And is it the headlight wire that burns ? Would a swap to LED fix it in that case - BTW does it happen on the N as well, which has 1 bulb, on the S they threw in running lights and 2 headlights - like literally WTF ? Then obviously I would be fine, I am running LED's in the twin dominators.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
I think its largely a poor quality spade connector, low clamping pressure, and a build up grime combined with vibes and it gets cruddy as hell.
Resistance goes through the roof and heat does its job. If got to early, and the spade connectors are firmed up and protected they seem to cope ok.
It cant be about the size, as i replaced mine with a SureSeal connector moons ago, and they only have around pin and socket, and to be honest, they are
not that big, but being water tight and a full circle of contact there is no issue.

You can just isolate the one wire and bypass the plug on that wre

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,182 Posts
I prefer having a single connector instead of 4 spades or 4 bullets etc.
This is the one from the ignition switch right ?
Could we put the 4 + 4 into a larger say 6 + 6 molex housing so the wires are further apart ? Does it burn from them shorting across to each other ?
I actually also believe many many many cars and other bikes have pigtails with that type of connector. How is it a problem in this bike ?
I think my GS also has that green color but a different molex, As does the savage that's apart and literally it sits under the seat, waiting for some fat ass to get on it and crunch it - and yet, that was never an issue.
Would swapping the connector for a GS or savage type 4+4 molex work ?
Or if its 1 wire that is too high a current and that's the wire that always burns, we can swap it for a relay - which is almost required for all british cars from the 60's and 70's, Jag's Aston Martin, triumph, MG etc etc.
And is it the headlight wire that burns ? Would a swap to LED fix it in that case - BTW does it happen on the N as well, which has 1 bulb, on the S they threw in running lights and 2 headlights - like literally WTF ? Then obviously I would be fine, I am running LED's in the twin dominators.
I often convert the plugs to the connector tors Suzuki used a few years prior. Larger pin Sumimoto stuff.
-ms

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There has never been a bike I have owned that had some of these ridiculous electrical issues, including the alternator rotor and clutch chudder as well. And looking at the twin headlight plug, that dinky white thing, OMG, what a cheesy connector, I am shocked more of these things dont burn there too. But then again, they sent all that through 1 pin in the green goblin connector, so that burns first. If you're gonna reinvent the wheel, dont make the components out of cheese would be a good takeaway for suzuki.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,182 Posts
There has never been a bike I have owned that had some of these ridiculous electrical issues, including the alternator rotor and clutch chudder as well. And looking at the twin headlight plug, that dinky white thing, OMG, what a cheesy connector, I am shocked more of these things dont burn there too. But then again, they sent all that through 1 pin in the green goblin connector, so that burns first. If you're gonna reinvent the wheel, dont make the components out of cheese would be a good takeaway for suzuki.
You must have not owned an R1…. Blowing up magnets, hammered out clutch baskets, broken clutch center hubs, melted RR connectors…

-ms

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this chick that blew a head gasket on one with 35k miles. But OMG, actually GSXR's also blow alternators in the post 02 gen. No I dont ever intend to buy a GSXR or a CBR or R1 or ZX - though I own an 89 GSXR 1100 project bike, not buying one of these hand grenades. To me the SV is too much and actually feels like a project though its complete and running - well I start cutting up stuff, so its a project LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts