GSXR mirror adapter

11K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  LigeiSV1KS 
#1 · (Edited)
GSXR Mirror Adapters

GSX-R Mirror Adapters
put GSXR's mirrors with turnsignals on your SV

benefits:
  • get rid of those ugly stock turn signals
  • avoid using aftermarket mini signals (often bad visibility)
  • even better turn signal visibility than stock
  • adjustable mirror glass
  • give your SV that GSXR-touch :)
  • the adapters act as mild (16mm) mirror spacers,
    which is less than what pure mirror spacers usually do,
    but still improves rear sight without giving your bike that bunny-ear-look
whats the problem?
  • bolts don't fit
  • mirror base has completely different angle
    (mounting the base flush would make the mirror arms point downwards)
...so i designed
adapters to make it fit:

Product Automotive lighting Font Machine Auto part

state of project: ready to manufacturing

+++News+++
-another fabricator agreed to give me a cost estimate
-had a phone call with the fabricator, first set is on its way
-made a new rendering to give you a better idea of what the assembly will look like
-just ordered the first set for me. i want to make sure it works as expected before giving it to anybody else.
-received a cost estimate from a fabricator

Models / Years
where does this fit?
("KX+" means model year 200X or newer)
  • Bike
SV 650/1000 S K3+
  • Mirrors
GSX-R 600/750 K6+
GSX-R 1000 K5+

...thats when GSXRs first got mirrors with turn signals
i got mine off a wrecked GSX-R 750 K7
parts from later models seem to be identical, but i can't guarantee as i can't try them all
also there are a lot of aftermarket replicas on ebay which might have slight differences
so you might have to make minor modifications to the mirror base

Materials
  • Bolts: Stainless Steel
  • Adapters: Aluminium-60xx
why Aluminium?​
  • ideal for milling, drilling, etc.
  • moderate price
  • moderate weight (58g per part)
  • every fabricator has it on hand
  • strong/hard enough for threaded holes
  • does not corrode
  • does not get bleached by sunlight
  • can be polished, painted, powder coated, anodized

Pricing

first rough cost estimate is 100€

its "rough" because the fabricators offer didnt include the bolts, so i rounded it up a bit.
i ordered the first set at this price, but maybe i can find somebody who does it a little cheaper.

take a look at my initial DIY-attempt:
DIY mirror adapters

See less See more
#4 ·
ditto!

+I assume the only real mod needed is a small hole for the wiring in between the bolts?

And I could just pick them up from you in Germany when I get there in early September :D

#8 ·
Im in!!!!:devil2:

#9 ·
Could you just make some new bases for the GSXR mirrors instead?

Even better would be the 08- CBR1000RR mirrors... the LED marker lights that are in there with the indicators are freaking excellent for visibility, makes you look quite a lot wider to oncoming traffic, and the odd bright 'whiteness' makes you stick out like dogs balls.

#10 ·
Could you just make some new bases for the GSXR mirrors instead?

Even better would be the 08- CBR1000RR mirrors...
you cant disassemble the joint between base and arm on the gsxr mirror without completely destroying it. its kinda riveted together. so you would have to incorporate the notches, the springs and the heavy spring preload to re-enable the notchy arm movement. that would be a lot more difficult

what i forgot to mention - my adapters also act as 17mm mirror spacers. which is quite moderate compared to "pure" mirror spacers.

regarding the cbr mirrors ... i would need these parts at my hands to delevop an adapter for them.
personally i feel the gsxr mirrors just perfectly fit in the bunch of other gsxr parts i have on my bike.

#13 ·
i'm very glad to hear you guys are interested!
it just came to my mind that i had shaved off some material on my gsxr mirrors during the initial DIY attempt.
as you would most likely not want to do this i need two measures of an unmodified gsxr mirror to make the adapters fit.
i attached a sketch pointing out the needed measures to avoid any misunderstanding.
Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Line

so in case you already have the gsxr mirrors at hand or know a friend with a gsxr it would be very kind if you could provide me with one or both of these measures.
oh well and ... metric units prefered ;-)
i'll let you know as soon as i have an idea what the price and time of availability will be. but first i want to get the measures right...

#20 ·
judging from the response i got so far i requested the price for 10 sets from a fabricator. should get an answer sometime next week so i can tell you.

also i'm still interested in the measures i asked for in post #13 ... especially as i suspect them to change with the gsxr model and year the mirrors are from

#25 ·
I know the value of the euro has been falling in the markets, but sorry to say, the price seems way too high. Especially as you can get mirrors with integrated turn signals on Ebay for less than 50 Euro including shipping.

#28 ·
One of the problems with the mass manufacturered world we live in, where we can get things like those incredibly cheap and shitty looking Chinese integrated indicator mirrors for next to nothing (which is basically what something so tacky and of such poor quality is worth), is that a lot of people have lost touch with what it geniunely costs to develop, manufacture, and distribute bespoke items.

I've got friends that have (had) those eGay mirrors; anyone that buys them deserves all they get. Apart from the subjective (i.e. just plain ugly), the mounting hardware is crap, their resistance to vibration on a twin is crap, the light fittings are crap, the bulbs are of a useless wattage, etc etc etc.

At least if you use these adapators and genuine GSXR mirrors, it won't be a horrible pile of poo. The cheap ones you see on eBay... wouldn't wipe my arse with them. Some people have different expectations though, and probably think they're lovely.

#29 ·
please dont take the price too serious yet. as mentioned i included a bit of a safety margin, because i would rather tell you its lower in the end than to raise it last-minute.
nevertheless i agree that 100€ is a bit too hefty. thats why i'm trying to find a cheaper source. but don't expect it to come anywhere near 50 ;-)
its also pretty pointless to compare these custom made parts to parts from mass production. just for the reason they are made from a solid block of high quality aluminium on a 5-axis milling mashine.
to me, making these parts is more about individuality and enthusiasm than about being cost-effective - as riding a motorcycle is in general...

#30 ·
So why not use a non metal base ? After all it will not be really noticeable and we do not want to add weight ? This is a fix to enable mirrors to be fitted to the bike. The mirrors are the visual impact you want, the spacers are merely a means towards an end. Please do not take this away from your skills as an engineer but I believe a good design is the important part and not the material it is made from !!!!

#36 ·
I have spoken to some people on the SV650 forum who are interested in the idea of these, so, we may have a few more people to order with, thus further bringing down the individual cost.

How is all the research going Fennek?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.