SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Relatively new user here from Minnesota, US.

I use Suzuki 10W-40 Full Synth oil. 3.1 US qts (change the filter every time).

I recently changed my oil, and after the oil change I rode about 15-20 miles, pretty lazy riding, nothing special, all is well.

After I get off the bike, let the bike sit a while (maybe an hour or a few hours) and when I get back on the bike, it shifts hard through the gears, especially gears 1-3. Clutch is working fine, the ONLY thing I changed is the oil, and I used the same oil as was in it before. Once I "power through" the gearbox once or twice, as I ride, it will loosen up and shift more normally.

Looking for thoughts on what happened to cause this. The oil that was in it had about 1600 miles on it, not too hard riding; the occasional burst of high-RPM, but no track days or anything on it.

I've used that same oil in an SV-650s and my 1000S several times with no problems, so please refrain from the "well here's the oil *I* use...." comments. They're unnecessary in this thread.

Here's info about the bike:

-2003 SV-1000S
-12,000 miles (I've put on 6,000 of those).
-Oil changes every ~1500-2000 miles.
-Suzuki SP-4E full-synth 10W-40 oil, every time.
-Chain tension is perfect, just had it looked over and tires changed at the shop.

Anyone else had this issue? Or maybe, know what's causing it? Maybe just new oil that needs to break in and make it's way into the engine parts? Thanks for all you forum-warriors do!

Brandon

·
I love my SV
5,784 Posts
Hey all,

Relatively new user here from Minnesota, US.

I use Suzuki 10W-40 Full Synth oil. 3.1 US qts (change the filter every time).

I recently changed my oil, and after the oil change I rode about 15-20 miles, pretty lazy riding, nothing special, all is well.

After I get off the bike, let the bike sit a while (maybe an hour or a few hours) and when I get back on the bike, it shifts hard through the gears, especially gears 1-3. Clutch is working fine, the ONLY thing I changed is the oil, and I used the same oil as was in it before. Once I "power through" the gearbox once or twice, as I ride, it will loosen up and shift more normally.

Looking for thoughts on what happened to cause this. The oil that was in it had about 1600 miles on it, not too hard riding; the occasional burst of high-RPM, but no track days or anything on it.

I've used that same oil in an SV-650s and my 1000S several times with no problems, so please refrain from the "well here's the oil *I* use...." comments. They're unnecessary in this thread.

Here's info about the bike:

-2003 SV-1000S
-12,000 miles (I've put on 6,000 of those).
-Oil changes every ~1500 miles.
-Suzuki SP-4E full-synth 10W-40 oil, every time.
-Chain tension is perfect, just had it looked over and tires changed at the shop.

Anyone else had this issue? Or maybe, know what's causing it? Maybe just new oil that needs to break in and make it's way into the engine parts? Thanks for all you forum-warriors do!

Brandon
I had this problem when filled up to the full line ..now run with the oil exactly between the full and lower line... gear changes are now lovely and smooth...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this problem when filled up to the full line ..now run with the oil exactly between the full and lower line... gear changes are now lovely and smooth...
Thanks for the response!

Currently my oil is between the full/low line when upright (as it should be). But, I can absolutely see oil pressure being an issue! I'll keep an eye on it as well for the future. I don't think it solves/answers my current problem though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Makes no sense. Got to be clutch engagement issue. I had a guy used to rotate the lever adjustment knob on my bike just to screw w me and if i did not have the lever the farthest from the bar setting, it would not push the clutch all the way in and it would be a little tougher shifting. Also my bike would shift hard and get notchy after 2000 miles of rotella t-6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes no sense. Got to be clutch engagement issue. I had a guy used to rotate the lever adjustment knob on my bike just to screw w me and if i did not have the lever the farthest from the bar setting, it would not push the clutch all the way in and it would be a little tougher shifting. Also my bike would shift hard and get notchy after 2000 miles of rotella t-6.
It's a weird thing. An update for all those still with me here, it seems to have subsided. Apparently it must have just been used/deteriorated oil mixing with the new stuff, or maybe the oil itself breaking in? I dunno. In any case, it does seem like the problem has gone away after a couple hundred miles of riding.

As for your problem (clutch engagement), I've got a hydraulic clutch, and it's recently been bled. Havent had any issues with it at all.

Hopefully next time I change oil this doesn't happen again! It was strange.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts

·
Upside-Downer
373 Posts
That is indeed weird though it's good to see that it's back to normal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.