SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So both of my headlights quit working on Thursday. I thought I might have blown a fuse until I turned the key today and they came on. I tried the high beams and they worked. Flicked the switch a few times and the cut out again. Anyone else seen this issue. I am now leaning towards the switch being the issue but figured I would ask. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
could be the starter button - it cuts power to all headlights when you push it, and I've heard of at least one case where it was at fault, easily repaired by pulling it apart, cleaning it, spray it etc and reassemble.

but if the problem is in the switch that selects low/high beam, you can test it by pushing the 'pass' switch - if the high beam comes on, then the problem is with the low/high switch and not the starter button

if the lights are still dead regardless of which combination of low/high and pass switch settings you use, then the starter button is the likely culprit

cheers,

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes. The starter button is actually two switches in one. When you press it, one circuit is broken (the one that supplies power to both beams) and a totally separate circuit is closed (the one that supplies power to the starter relay).

If there's a problem that prevents the switch from keeping the headlight circuit closed, then you get no headlights. But the button will still connect power to starter relay when you push it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
305 Posts
mines just started doing this my lights will investigate and post up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
right here is what i have 05 sv1000's k5 (black frame)
i have-
rear light
indicators and hazards
side lights two outer ones on head light
all dash lights and back lights of clock
horn
speedo rev counter , temp gauge trip meter , clock
these are all working and bike starting running fine !

i don't have
dipped or main beam
or pass light!
or high beam light on dash(blue)

things iv checked

switchgear left and right checked and cleaned
battery connections
cleaned ignition
tried turning on and off several times
checked fuses

mine did come back on whilst riding then when stopped and turned off didn't come back on!!!

any help appreciated

my lights are supposed to be on all the time aren't sure if all models of sv are the same

·
Registered
305 Posts
is there a connector in the nose off the bike just wondering?????

·
Wandering Geriatric
685 Posts
is there a connector in the nose off the bike just wondering?????
There is a, and the pins and sockets in it can sometimes corrode, giving intermittent contact. It is the simple thing to check first before getting involved with starter relays and technical stuff like that.

The connector only feeds the headlights and the front parking lights.

·
Registered
305 Posts
sorted sorted sorted.

quick post as still put bike back together.

if you lift tank take air box completely off , just behind the head stock there are 3 connectors green , yellow , and black i found a heavily burt connection yellow wire just cut it out and al sorted. RESULT

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
sorted sorted sorted.

if you lift tank take air box completely off , just behind the head stock there are 3 connectors green , yellow , and black i found a heavily burt connection yellow wire just cut it out and al sorted. RESULT
Which colour connector box?

·
Registered
305 Posts
there is a green connector , a yellow , and a black , my fried wire was in the black connector and was yellow wire. ill add some pics not very good though.

Attachments

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
there is a green connector , a yellow , and a black , my fried wire was in the black connector and was yellow wire. ill add some pics not very good though.
I have been in there when i fixed my Fried Green Connector, just thought it would save some time to know which colour to look at first for anyone in the future if they had the same problem.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i agree just didn't have time earlier to post up properly.

·
In memory of the Box
1,333 Posts
My lights have died too

sorted sorted sorted.

Guys, I have a similar problem, the lights on my bike have died.
All of the electrical system is fine, except for the head lights.
I have 'side' lights come up when the ignition is switched on, I have cleaned the ignition switch and it seems to be fine (don't have a multi meter so I can't check that). The 'pass' light does nothing, so it's not the Hi-Lo switch.
The bulbs look intact, the fuses are also intact.
I have tried to access the black connector as SZ1 suggested, but I can't even get my sausage fingers to the damn thing, how on earth did you get it out to check?!
This problem is driving me insane at the moment as I have no power to my garage and I'm trying to work by torch light.
If I can get the connector free, what happens when you cut the yellow wire? Or do you mean replace the wire? Does it affect anything else?
Any suggestions before I start to blow a fuse?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm afraid it's a tank up job!!! take air box lid off then take bottom of air box off undo rubber boots at throttle bodies remove air box completely, then you can get to it. there is a Allen key bracket holding the three plugs up undo this for ease of access to plugs , the wire casing didn't look to bad just a little brown but when i split the connector the plastic was melted , i just cut either side of the connector block and re connected the wire using a single connector block.mine had all the symptoms yours has , and i wasted a day checking every thing else i would definitely recommend starting here its a bit of a pain to do probably won,t take you longer than 3 -3 and a half hours simple to fix and at least you don't have to pay a stealer to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine low beam both died yesterday. Still off this morning.

Check the hi-Lo and high beam works when switched, via "pass" and "hi-Lo" switch. I hope it's not the connector as some posted about.

Edit: So today I am checking all of the switch solders and cables and all are fine without corrosion. Although I have check the light bulbs themselves, I actually noticed one is bad, low beam position.

Does anyone know for sure if both headlights would malfunction when one is burnt out? I could confirm this after I replace mine but just wanted a heads up if anyone has the facts.

Also, can anyone confirm if the SV1000S use H4 or H7 bulb? I could always find out the hard way by bring the burnt bulb into the store to visually compare.

Thanks,

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I did all of the troubleshooting tips in this post and nothing helped both low beam to come on. As I mentioned above, I could see one of the low beam filament burnt from the lens, so I replaced both light bulbs and that was it, both were burnt out at the same time. I couldn't confirm the second bulb being burnt out until the bulb change. False alarm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts