SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to say a Hello to all members.
Recently got myself an SV1000 to play around on/with, got a few mod's planned but unfortunately got side-tracked as I found the bike was exhibiting the dreaded "chudder" issue.

Wasn't obvious to me when I purchased it, although it should have been, hopefully sorted now so fingers crossed I can get on with enjoying it and making my other planned tweaks.
I'll make a separate post on what I did to tame it when I get some time

I've so far re-positioned the footpegs for more comfort, probably would have done this anyhow but as my bike came with modified high & rear-set pegs I was pretty much forced to do it.
Also planning to convert to riser bars instead of the clip-ons

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
Welcome to the new member from Old Blighty.....

How did you sort the hudder ? WERKS basket ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the new member from Old Blighty.....

How did you sort the hudder ? WERKS basket ?

Hi ML, thanks for the welcome.

I was hoping to have my clutch modified by Sharealike at Vibfreev as this is quite local to me however I tried e-mail and both phone numbers but was not able to get a response. This is a bit worrying given the issues we've had over the past couple of years. I hope John is OK.

WERKS was another option but I didn't feel like shipping my basket half way across the world and back, not happy about the lead time apart from anything else.

So in the end I bought a new basket from Suzuki, arrived in a couple of days, unfortunately the dealer didn't want to let me have it as they had not had an invoice from Suzuki. After bending their ear about this, reminding them that these were parts I had paid for and which my bike was sitting there waiting to have them thrown in while the sun was shining and I was missing valuable time in the short UK riding season, I eventually got my hands on them.

I did find some posts on one of the forums from Sharealike indicating that from around 2014 the quality of the baskets bought as spares from Suzuki did improve so I'm hoping this is the same for mine although I have no way to tell without taking it apart which I have no desire to do on a new component! Either way I should be good enough for a couple of years given the mileage I do.
I may strip my old unit down and rebuild with a new centre bearing, just for the fun of it, but that will be later in the year.
Was really surprised that my clutch basket looked perfect on removal, based on the noise and vibrations I was expecting it to be in several pieces. There is perceptible play if I pull the gear from side to side on the basket but not a great deal, I've not measured but I'd put it between 0.1-0.2mm.

With the bike all back together it is so much better, quieter in all conditions, must admit I didn't realise how much this problem was contributing to noise all round, not just in the main "Cudder Zone".
I note that the engine goes through a period of roughness between about 2500-3500RPM but nothing like as bad as before. My guess is that this is the area where certain forces either all work together or resonate and cause the clutch damper to work overtime. It is not a problem however and if this was, say, and Italian bike rather than Japanese this would probably be termed "Character" (a word which has come to be synonymous with "Not good enough" or "Garbage") so I'd guess this is just part of the deal with this engine, don't recall anything like this on my 650 a good few years ago though.

I see your sig' indicates you have 336,000 KM (>200,000 miles in old money), is this on a single SV?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
WERKS quite often has exchange units ready to go from memory, so they could have got it back to you pretty quick. But yeah a new OEM one is gonna be a little better thats for sure.
Its all about tolerances and balnce....Terry at WERKS macines the outside of the basket too so as to remove all casting roughness and burrs....
The slipper hub is a Sh17storm in my opinion too....if it was a person it would be standing under a redlight on a street corner its that loose...
Some people put the 2nd gen DL slipper hub in as it is made much better....i on the other hand went with the 1st gen DL non-slipper hub.....no loose parts, but a little extra lever pressure.....
WERKS basket and that hub made a world of difference.
Check also that your magnets are good, and JB them, vibes come from that too. And vibes also help to dislodge the magnets it is safe to assume.

And yes, its the one bike, one engine, only ever had the clutch and rotor covers off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And yes, its the one bike, one engine, only ever had the clutch and rotor covers off.
Wow! Every credit for that, I'm not sure I've done that kind of mileage on all the bikes I've had. That's the problem for modern bikes, most of them don't get used for anythign like their full potential.

Regarding the clutch, although I now have a new basket in the bike I'm aiming to strip down the one I have, add a bush/bearing and bolt back together, as much to see if I can do it as anything else. I may also look at turning down and truing up the outer diameter.

I've also got the generator magnet job lined up but I'm hoping to put this off until late in the year as I don't want to be losing any more time off riding while the bike is in pieces. I did get a gasket for this while I was putting the parts together for the clutch job so I'm more or less ready to go. I need to find out the details for the extractor tool and I'll get one of those made up too.

I also need to investigate the "Green Connector" which seems to be another of the "usual suspects" for this bike.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
The rotor puller is easy.....a 20 x 1.5 hardened bolt, some grease on the threads.....and hold the rotor still...... cheap as chips

1 - 6 of 6 Posts