SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SV1000 Streetfighter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought an SV1000 - The streetfighter one off FB Marketplace, the one with the R1 front end. It looked a lot better in the photos! It was cheap enough tho'.
It'd been living outside without a cover for 3 months and ragged about in Leeds! DB Moto Repairs in Thirsk sorted my fork seals at a very reasonable price. He has an SV too, is he on here?
The clutch master was full of water & the alien headlight about to fall off. The oil was as black as a coal miner's hat (back in the day). Most screw heads rusty, anyway a bit of a mess.
I just bought a comfort seat off ebay - Well I'll be dipped, it doesn't fit. I think my early SV sub-frame must be wider than later models?
Here she is, be gentle - I've not put me tools away yet.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
Welcome firstly.....
Your seat is for naked and 05 up models.....see the bottome subframe rail? Is is dead straight from the brake res up past the pillion peg bracket. The naked and later S models has a bend in it, and this
puts the seat lower. The black infill panels that are not shown in the picture are also specific to the 03/04 S model.
There is a chance she was an S model, had a slippery slide and was made a naked with that early R1 front end.....

Hang in there, they are a great bike......just do your due diligence on the known issues we have all had, mainly, get the rotor magnets looked at, like, asap......

Reactions: Urbanjugle and Pon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome firstly.....
Hang in there, they are a great bike......just do your due diligence on the known issues we have all had, mainly, get the rotor magnets looked at, like, asap......
Thanks for the info M Link. And thanks for saying hello. I wondered if anyone was going to say hello.
I managed to get both side panels off ebay & luckily they fit. Oil & filters changed yesterday & I took her for a warm up. I have the clutch rattle on tickover which goes when pulled, I'll bleed it again to see if that helps, it does vibe through part of the rev range so something is probably loose or worn in there :(

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello & thanks Shane. I need to address the non existant expansion tank, the rubber pipe to where it was, has been cut and clipped up. So if it needs to expand it'll probably squirt on my chin!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
The clutch rattle will remain no matter what maintenance you do...... and the vibes are pretty much down to the clutch rattling like a....well, you know.
The best and only wa really, is to contact Terry at WERKS parts in the US....he can do his rebuild on the basket, and make it what it should have been from the factory.
He is on here as realshelby as well.....
Also, the "slipper" hub in these is like a bucket of bones....either swap a 2nd gen Dl slipper hub into it, they have less movement, or a 1st gen DL non-slipper hub.......no moving parts

Reactions: Urbanjugle
1 - 7 of 7 Posts