SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP WITH MOSFET R/R INSTALL (SOLVED)

I have been having trouble with my R/R for the last while and got sick of the connectors burning up so I bought the FH012AA MOSFET COMPLETE KIT that can be found here-> http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm

I have the kit now but now I have run into a problem trying to mount the thing. It won't go to the stock position. Anyone install this thing and have it mounted that can share how/where they did it??? I know someone here must have one as I found out about it on this site, only they just referenced it saying it was a better system than stock..and that was it.

So please help, I want to get back out on the road! :D
(Bike is an 04 by the way)

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
Your going to have to watch shadetree mechanic and put the John Deere hat on to make something "custom" that fits.

My wires started burning up so I cut them back about 3" and soldered on high temp wire (nickel plated, 200 C) leads instead. Kept the stock SCR style regulator. No issues since.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so I rigged up a simple bracket that seems to be doing the trick.. I essentially extended the bracket that was there originally.. I'll add a picture later for anyone who is thinking of doing this to see how I set it up.

I then found out I still had problems.. my battery would not hold a charge and would drop below 8V when starting the bike..and would only start one time after a full charge then die. So I got a new battery. I'm just trying to make sure it's good now...

So ignition off, it sits around 12.5V, when I turn ignition on still around 12V. Then when I hit the started drops to about 10.5V then once started it's up to 14.5V and stays steady.. Sound about normal?

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
ok so I rigged up a simple bracket that seems to be doing the trick.. I essentially extended the bracket that was there originally.. I'll add a picture later for anyone who is thinking of doing this to see how I set it up.

I then found out I still had problems.. my battery would not hold a charge and would drop below 8V when starting the bike..and would only start one time after a full charge then die. So I got a new battery. I'm just trying to make sure it's good now...

So ignition off, it sits around 12.5V, when I turn ignition on still around 12V. Then when I hit the started drops to about 10.5V then once started it's up to 14.5V and stays steady.. Sound about normal?
That sounds right, it should read at least 13.8 when engine running.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, new problem... I took the bike for a ride and thinking everything is hunky-dory when my charging system indicator starts going weird.... So I get it home and put the multi-meter to it and when the bike is hot, and running the battery shows 12.6V... and the indicator for my charging system says it's not working properly... So I throw my arm up in anger and walk away... 2 days later, go start the bike, and it's running at 14.2V again and indicator says everything is fine... Any ideas as to why this happens when the bike is hot and not when cold?:confused:?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I get longer mounting bolts and spacers I could probably move it out an inch.. Do you think that would give it enough clearance? Or do I need to look at moving the whole thing? If I move it out, it would be further away from the engine than the stock one but 2 inches lower.

This is what I had set up before realizing the bike wasn't running properly... I see now that the bolts that hold the R/R on the bike were actually touching the engine on the back side. .. (I know it ain't super pretty but I don't know anyone to help fabricate a fancy bracket. )

Attachments

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
You can use an aluminum mounting plate and use silicone heat transfer compound between the R/R and the bolts. bracket, etc.

Sounds like the "upgrade" isn't as easy as it sounds. The above link dissapeared. Maybe the R/R isn't a match watt wise for the stator output?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The link in your OP is dead. I found his page and it sounds like there is a problem with the unit. He claims it will handle 50 A and the SV does not produce that much. Try to find an infra-red thermometer and measure the temp of the RR case when it is not working properly and get back with the seller. Maybe he has seen this before and has a suggestion.
Unless you are always in slow traffic, the mount you have looks reasonable for the airstream to cool it.
Blu eSkies
Butler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts