SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 SV1000 engine seized up on a track day a few months ago. I had found a 2003 SV1000 engine that looked decent, but was more trouble, and the costs were enormous.

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43948&highlight=bond7

Now, I found a 2006 SV1000 engine that should be identical to mine, right?

It is from a bike that was totalled.* Mileage unknown, running condition claimed. The engine and tranny is being sold as a single unit.

What do I check in this engine to make sure it is in good condition?

What tools do I need to evaluate this engine?

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,843 Posts
Guess it depends on your level of mechanical skills and tools available.

I once took an engine totally to bits to check and rebuilt it, like every nut, bolt, bearing, valves and guides, the lot. only sure way I guess but a compression test for the bores/valves and maybe pull the side engine cases off to visually see if the gears are damaged or worn would do.

also, you could totally stri both your other engines and maybe make one good one out of them and sell off any other un needed good parts on ebay to get some cash back.

·
Moving at the speed of...
4,539 Posts
As Pete said do a compression test if you can. (so long as you can turn it over.) You will need a compression tester to do this, just make sure it will fit the spark plug holes on the engine.

Also you cannot separate the engine and transmission on modern bikes they are essentially one unit. It is only Harleys that still have a separate engine and transmission

1 - 3 of 3 Posts