SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting requests from many of my local friends to write up and share how I perform brake system maintenance, especially at the caliper. I perform this type of service work numerous times per year on all my bikes and many others. I always get brake system questions, and people always comment on how nice the brakes feels on all my bikes. I have assembled several small write ups I have done in the past into one document.

When was the last time you serviced your brake system? Have you ever serviced your brake system? If not, do it. It usually makes a huge difference in performance and you will be glad you did.

Like I said, I threw this together, so there might be some grammar issues or text problems, but from a technical stand point I think it is quite comprehensive. Please use, read, and review and let me know what you think. I am definitely up for constructive comments or questions.

Ride safe
-MS

Attachments

·
Pete's bike hauler
2,547 Posts
cant really find fault with that info except i wonder how many people are prepared to pay the proper going rate to have that work done once a year as they should do, or how many have even had it done once.
our front calipers are not the best design and suffer badly from brake dust as did the kwacker z7R (same manufacturer) so it is very noticeable if this work is carried out at least once a year.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant really find fault with that info except i wonder how many people are prepared to pay the proper going rate to have that work done once a year as they should do, or how many have even had it done once.
our front calipers are not the best design and suffer badly from brake dust as did the kwacker z7R (same manufacturer) so it is very noticeable if this work is carried out at least once a year.
I agree. But every time you actually even do the quick caliper clean it makes a big difference. I actually do several tear downs every year for people and then they do the quick cleans themselves now days. It is hard to convince people to pay for the service. Brakes are very neglected on bikes and it is frustrating when I ride someone's bike and tell them the brakes need major attention but they would rather pay you to install a fancy exhaust.

I have the same opinion about suspension service also. No one ever does it yet they complain about the suspension performance. I am very fortunate though to have all the tools and know how to fully service brakes, forks and shocks

-MS

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Great read... :bigclap: A couple of photos wouldn't hurt, though. ;)

Given that we don't get Simple Green over here, what type of product are we talking about?

D.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Given that we don't get Simple Green over here, what type of product are we talking about?

D.
Hmm, a mild degreaser of some sorts. Nothing that uses sodium hydroxide. This is the stuff that is used in some degreasers such as Castrol Super Clean that will etch aluminum. Maybe like a house hold 409 cleaner? Not sure, sorry.

-MS

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

D.
Oh, photos. I know, my friends here are asking why I did not do a video... It is just too time consuming. When I do my next service, I might snap a few images, but being dirty and taking pictures is a pain.

-MS

·
Registered
175 Posts
this is true and accurate. Glad that you have shared this indeed. A good weekend thing to do and add to the many ways to keep bike a smooth ride with confidence.

Bike: 'What have you done for me lately?"
You: "Let me think..."

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Mike: Thanks for another great tutorial. I immediately copied it and will do this job early this spring as I am off work through April.

Say, have you possibly done an instruction on rear suspension linkage maintenance? I suspect that also may be an overlooked focus of maintenance--it has been on my SV--and I'd like to do mine this year. I know, I know, the factory service manual...but your instructions are more thorough and easier to follow.

Ralph

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike: Thanks for another great tutorial. I immediately copied it and will do this job early this spring as I am off work through April.

Say, have you possibly done an instruction on rear suspension linkage maintenance? I suspect that also may be an overlooked focus of maintenance--it has been on my SV--and I'd like to do mine this year. I know, I know, the factory service manual...but your instructions are more thorough and easier to follow.

Ralph
I have not done one up on suspension linkage swingarm bearing service. I do pull my linkage down on my commuter bike every 15-25K miles. This way I hope to have to keep from actually replacing the bearings. Things get more complicated when you have to replace bearings.

-MS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts