SV Portal Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s (YC2)
109 Posts
Standard air boxes with the snorkel fitted usually out perform a more open fileter assembly with power and fuel because
the airflow from the snorkel "fills" the air box above the filter more evenly, because without that, the throttle body that has the most direct flow
tends to get the best of the air......that is what i have been told and have read elsewhere....
I think that issue is more relevant when comparing stock with simply removing the snorkel but leaving the oem top and opening, which is still about the same size as the snorkel but with sharp edges.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Finally did the Mahle KL145 filter mod......
I have to say, i love it..... the old filter must have been so crapped out.... the bike goes like a cut cat now....serious punch in the butt when you tap it open....

Cant recommend this mod highly enough

Just makes the TPS a bit a monster to adjust......

Also, because of the bypass job on the in tank filter, the fuel runs out when disconnected.......am going to make a small plug for the fuel line connector for that....

Reactions: RecoilRob

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
As an edit....... noticed that my idle speed has dropped about 200.... strange....
Also, fueled up today, having added 110km (65 or so miles) since the filter and reg job (sep post) and allowing for some fuel lost during the fit-up, had to put at lest 600ml more fuel
in than usual....... might be just an anomoly.......but i would have thought she would be better, or at least the same on mileage......

Will wait to see what the full tank gives me..... Then it may be balance / TPS / PC3 tune-up time.......

Have noticed a little more valve train noise since as well........:unsure:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
When my bike was totally stock it got its' best fuel economy just before I decided that the filter must be clogged. Giving the injectors full pressure and volume will often not increase your fuel mileage....especially if the rider is enjoying the newfound power he/she had been missing. It would be perfectly normal to need to alter the idle speed as the fuel being injected is likely at a higher pressure now and the SV's tend to be mapped on the fat side of Horrible Fat. This could also be your increased valvetrain noise...carbon buildup on the valve face and seat add clearance....might need to go out and wring it's neck a bit and see if you can't clean it up? I've installed water injection on vehicles before so I can give them a little squirt here and there and have found the steam keeps things nice and clean!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Yeah, the valve train noise has settled a bit.....she didn't have to wait long before i gave her a flogging...... damn this is nice....

I am figuring i might trim the map down a little once i get a couple of reads on what fuel it is using...... does smell a bit rich....

41 - 45 of 45 Posts