SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I've seen bigger...
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m back and going to start getting the bike rideable again. It hasn’t been started in about 7 years (I think).

I need to drain the fuel and oil, new tires, air filter, front shocks, and possibly new triple tree bearings, and definitely a new battery. I ordered a new front upper fairing/cowling. I’ve decided to keep it forever and bring it back to life.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
WElcome back then....

Maybe give that tank a bit of a rinse out and check for rust.....sitting that long it may be ugly....

·
I've seen bigger...
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyway to clean it if I do find rust?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
There are some rust removal agents out there....POR15 i think is one.... But, a reasonable way of descaling heavy rust before going with chems is a handful of nuts....and about 500mls of some WD40 type agent and shake the bugger around (obviously remove the tank and the pump....and do your best to seal the pump hole up....then flush it out with fresh fuel or degreaser.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rust removal agent is either muriatic acid (in the pool section of lowes) or some version of phosphoric acid supplied with POR15. POR15's acid leaves a lot of ashy black crap and I actually dont like it as much as the muriatic acid. I actually dont like POR15 either though I did at one point, nowadays I prefer kreem (my first choice), but if you're powdercoating the tank at some time in the future, kreem isn't a choice POR15 is the only thing that will take the heat.
Anyway let me know what you find, I'll post all the details and the chemistry behind it if needed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i had enough of good luck cleaning mild rust with BB gun copper coated pelets + mixture of disel/kerosene and shook hell outta it...if that doesnt work it will need something more agressive...as phosphoric acid ( can be find in paint stores or even home despot ) and than possibly be seal coated after....its all work but what we wouldnt do for our beloved SV's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts