SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not ridden my sv much at all this year. I bought a k and N air filter and removed the snorkel out of the air box, replaced the battery and I was ready for a ride. I have spent most of my summer on a new ride a yamaha road star warrior and have enjoyed the cruiser, but -- When I rode the torque monster again I was thrilled. The filter and snorkel change is better, I have read that there are different opinions but mine is....it is definetly better....More air = more power. The front wheel came up more often and higher too. I was amazed to look down and see my speedo at 90 and still be in gear 2.
Now I need to wash/ clean up all the dust and enjoy this sports machine.
For any one contemplating the filter/ snorkel removal...I will advise it...Mine is a Naked model 2003....I have no knowledge of the newer years.
Thanks for a great Forum and support group for the sv thousand.
Brett

·
Banned
847 Posts
I agree, but it's the snorkel removal that does it. I removed mine and immediately noticed more power. Later I changed the stock air filter for a BMC and noticed nothing

·
BANNED!!!!
3,473 Posts
More likely it just feels more powerful. Quite likely by taking the snorkel out you've hindered the cylinder filling, by robbing it of the benefits of laminar flow that the snorkel provides, and thus the flat spot you've added just makes it feel more powerful when the bike climbs out of it.... It's actually less power, but a different (read worse) delivery :whistle:

You're slipping Buzzard, didn't you notice he has an 03? Aren't you worried that his bike will knock itself to death? :rolleyes:

·
I love my SV
5,783 Posts
More likely it just feels more powerful. Quite likely by taking the snorkel out you've hindered the cylinder filling, by robbing it of the benefits of laminar flow that the snorkel provides, and thus the flat spot you've added just makes it feel more powerful when the bike climbs out of it.... It's actually less power, but a different (read worse) delivery :whistle:

You're slipping Buzzard, didn't you notice he has an 03? Aren't you worried that his bike will knock itself to death? :rolleyes:
Are you saying leaving the snorkel on will eliminate the flat spot and give better power delivery.....:confused:

·
Banned
847 Posts
I was thinking it to myself, and decided to keep those thoughts to myself, as whenever I air them, all I cop is a ton of grief from 03 owners

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm with imdying on this one...

I know that making a vehicle louder usually gives an impression of 'umph'.

But when I put the snorkel back in (after about two years) the bike was both quieter and felt stronger. Usually that doesn't happen unless it's true...

But to each his own, I guess... :confused:

D.

·
I love my SV
5,783 Posts
I'm with imdying on this one...

I know that making a vehicle louder usually gives an impression of 'umph'.

But when I put the snorkel back in (after about two years) the bike was both quieter and felt stronger. Usually that doesn't happen unless it's true...

But to each his own, I guess... :confused:

D.
:HMM:... Guess who's gonna put his snorkel back on and see what happens...:confused:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was thinking it to myself, and decided to keep those thoughts to myself, as whenever I air them, all I cop is a ton of grief from 03 owners
:) hwhehhehe

stock give better response and power in low= mid rpm, other modification gives poor mid but more power at high rpms.
Checked it and don't like it, stock is the best in city driving

·
She shoots, what a !!!!!
8,412 Posts
More likely it just feels more powerful. Quite likely by taking the snorkel out you've hindered the cylinder filling, by robbing it of the benefits of laminar flow that the snorkel provides, and thus the flat spot you've added just makes it feel more powerful when the bike climbs out of it.... It's actually less power, but a different (read worse) delivery
If the bike is in stock tuning I will agree with this. I & many others have their PCIII dyno tuned sans snorkle or with air box mods. To my knowledge putting the snorkle back in, in this case, would not be beneficial.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it seems we have difference of opinion on this topic. I just took it for another ride. On my particular bike, there is no "different sound" to make me think It is more powerful. Several years ago I remove the cans and bolted on a stainless steel pipe with baffles....now the baffles are gone so it is basically a straight pipe - I dont hear a different noise from the intake....cant hear anything but exhaust. They look good too I should have a pic in my profile. I do seem think more torque is available without the snorkel. I will probably do some testing with and with out this rubber piece and then try to decide, but for now it is just fun to ride. As for this knock...i have heard about it, is it only for the 03 model?

·
BANNED!!!!
3,473 Posts
Playing devils advocate for a moment... Given that the SV is a little tame feeling to ride (which I fully recommend dropping a front tooth to fix), and given that the SV is never going to be a big HP power house (given the simple mods most make), it could be argued that having it feel more powerful (regardless of whether it's a flat spot making is seem that way or not) is probably just as if not more useful than having the ideal power curve. A little bit of free excitement if you will :)

/edit: Ignore the knock, I was just taking the **** out of Buzzard

·
Banned
847 Posts
If the bike is in stock tuning I will agree with this. I & many others have their PCIII dyno tuned sans snorkle or with air box mods. To my knowledge putting the snorkle back in, in this case, would not be beneficial.
+1 on this old chum. When I desnorkeled ( only other mod 2 bros pipes ) I got a flat spot which didn't happen when the snorkel was in.

Now I have it tuned ( via TEKA ) for no snorkel and she runs like a dream through out the entire rev range.

I tried putting the snorkel back in and it made it run horrible, which was expected, as it was tuned for it out!

·
Oh boy...
933 Posts
You guys are all great!:supsmiley:

From the factory, the bike/airbox/ecu is designed/tuned for the way it comes from the factory - with snorkle, stock cans...ect.

To truly get "power" you will feel, add a pipe, filter, with snorkle or without...whatever, then tune via PC111 or this "magic" Teka tuner.

·
She shoots, what a !!!!!
8,412 Posts
You guys are all great!:supsmiley:

From the factory, the bike/airbox/ecu is designed/tuned for the way it comes from the factory - with snorkle, stock cans...ect.

To truly get "power" you will feel, add a pipe, filter, with snorkle or without...whatever, then tune via PC111 or this magic Teka tuner.
Yep more or less, it is not seat of the pants feel, but real world power. Nothing magical about the Teka Box though, it is basically a factory tool for overwriting tuning in the ECU.

·
Oh boy...
933 Posts
Yep more or less, it is not seat of the pants feel, but real world power. Nothing magical about the Teka Box though, it is basically a factory tool for overwriting tuning in the ECU.
I knew I should threw in the ole air quotes...:whistle:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts