SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Bike 1
Year of Motorcycle : 2003

Mileage before magnet failure : 36,000 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Conventional Honda GN4

Bike 2
Year of Motorcycle : 2003

Mileage before magnet failure : 24,000 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Conventional Multiple brands

Bike 3
Year of Motorcycle : 2004

Mileage before magnet failure : 38,000 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Synthetic Motorex Power Synt 4T

Attachments

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Year of Motorcycle : 2004

Mileage before magnet failure : 68,200 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Synthetic Motorex Power Synt 4T

This is the second failure for this bike. First rotor went bad at 38,000 miles. I then installed the 05 and up rotor (32102-16G10) from a used 2007 motor I had with 8700 miles on it. First rotor got 38,000 total miles and the second rotor got a suspicious 38, 900 miles total between the two motors it lived in.

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Well the bike is back to full health! New oil and filter, new iridium plugs, and a new flywheel (new lighter one) and is now going to be polished up and sold in march. Had enough of this pile of shite! Back to triumph for me!
Wow, mine and my friends experiences with Triumphs has not been good at all, far worse than all the Suzukis we have owned.

I am looking back at some of your old posts. If you paid 1225 quid for it, that seems really low. It had also been crashed a few times by the previous owner too!? Did you think it was priced low for a reason?
-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
What is it that your oil cooler would be clogged with? Our SV's have oil filters, and modern oil does not create sludge. Just regularly changing your oil with the recommended type should be more than detergent enough to keep things clean in your oil cooler.
Mine get packed externally with road goo and have to clean it now and again.

-MS

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Just hold on a second there folks.
The gsxr 1000 has an oil cooler in the same spot and design as ours and you don't hear them dropping magnets quicker then a snowman's life expectancy in July.

So what gives?
Are you saying that we are scruffier owners than the pansy gsxr mob? Don't think so.

GSX-R rotors are completely different though

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
just checked rotor/flywheel... all good ..all magnets still stuck in place.. glue seems discoloured... 03 N 28K always used Silkolene semi syn oil..

I do see the sections of epoxy between magnets has delaminated and bubbled up. This might be a sign of things to come unfortunately.

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Bloody well f**ked off :ranting: ..although my magnets are still attached it looks as though the glue is compromised in places with it delaminating and bubbling with oil contamination.... well done to Mike S for spotting this from my pic.....!! So no good putting the rotor back in the engine .. going to have to get a new one with the money I was going to get the clutch done with the Sharealike treatment.. 'spose I can get the later lighter rotor.. need advice from mr Schmidt re part numbers ..... :blink::unsure:
32102-16G00 for the heavier 03-04 unit
32102-16G10 for the lighter 05 and up unit

PM sent
-MS

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
I recently was approached by a member here to perform some service work. We talked and decided it would be a really good idea to inspect the magnets.

Arg, unfortunately I had to deliver some bad news.

Year of Motorcycle : 2005
Current with third owner

Mileage before magnet failure : 17,XXX Miles

I will post up a bit more info in the other thread to not clog this one up
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381

-MS

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Hey! I finally got a response from the NHTSA! Apparently they are going to open an investigation into this matter:

> Workspace:
> NHTSA Hotline Center
> Case:
> Petition To Open An Investigation
> Case Number:
> 642165
>
> Date:
> 05/29/2014
> *
> Time:
> 08:47:04
> Creation Date:
> 05/25/2014
> *
> Creation Time:
> 06:18:33

I'm going to look like a complete ass if some of you don't send me your contact information so that the NHTSA can contact those of you who have experienced this problem. Please send your contact information to me via private e-mail at:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Info sent via email. Thanks for working on this.
-MS

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
This was discussed in the other thread, but I think the DL1000A unit might work but would be significantly heavier and should be lightened. 32102-31J00

The old style DL1000 rotors will not work due to the number of pickups on the rotor.

Post 247 page 17
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381&page=17

-MS
EDIT: I posted this in the wrong thread... Updated to the other thread. Post 349 http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381&highlight=31j00&page=24

These units are now available through Suzuki. Full pop retail appears to be $395 so about $40-50 more than a stock SV unit. Then the cost to lighten and balance.

-MS

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Did you find out if it's a direct swap? If not, I'm thinking about getting a TL magneto to check clearances and machine the pickups. Unless this has already been debunked...
TL units will not work. Not enough signal indicators on the rotor. I think they have 3 or 4 only and the SV is 22 (I cant remember off the top of my head.) So if you wanted to add a whole bunch of indicators it might work, but it would also take a stator I believe too. That sounds like a bunch of work to add material and machine a sqaure edges into and to make sure they are spaced exactly where they need to be.

I am pretty sure the the DL1000A unit will bolt on and has the correct number of indicators. The problem is that it it even advertised that the unit weighs even more than the earlier DL1000 unit. This means that it weighs even more that the really heavy 03-04 SV1000 units.

-MS

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
My SV's having it's clutch modified at the mo' at the dealer I bought it from 2 weeks ago (clutch mod by John in Yorkshire) now I've read this. When I get the bike back I'll have to check the magnets of the rotor. Can't say I'm impressed by the SV so far.. Had it two weeks, only ridden it for two days.

From going through the thread it looks like all years and models are prone to the magnets falling off. Not very impressive Suzuki...

I just wonder how prevalent this problem really is, because not one of the SV's advertised for sale here (on ebay, etc) mention having a modified clutch or new rotor fitted.

Is this because it's such a small percentage of bikes affected, or are they just keeping quiet?

Lots more discussion of this here
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381

This thread was intended to just report failures.

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
On the JB weld site, the answer is not very satisfying

"J-B Weld is not considered to be a conductor. It is an insulator."

Considered? Hmmm, how about in a stator output lead under AC condition with 120V peak?

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Also have an 05 1000 V-strom (28k miles) (owned for 2k) with five loose magnets, one cracked, one disintegrated with fine debris throughout stator case, quite possibly crankcase. This is an inexcusable, catastrophic engineering flaw IMO. Wishing I'd bought a Honda.

Do I have to buy a new flywheel/rotor or can I get two replacement magnets and glue back wirh others?

Doug Terpstra

[email protected]

I think I still have a 15-16K mile DL1000 unit in my garage if interested.

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Schmidt, still interested in the rotor if you have it. Email me with particulars, por favor, when you can. Thanks.

Doug Terpstra

[email protected]

I have emailed you to the second address twice w/o response.

Let me PM you
-ms

1 - 20 of 36 Posts