SV Portal Forums banner
381 - 400 of 471 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Year of Motorcycle : 2005

Mileage before magnet failure : 52493 Km's

Semisynth oil

What brand of oil was used ? : Motul 10W-40

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : no caught it time, 3 of the six came loose and were free to move around

Attachments

· Obsessed with SV1000s
8,843 Posts
Kind of off topic but Suzuki is going to a lot of expense to recall 2004/2005 thru 2013 GSXR models to replace front brake master cylinders. And to encourage owners to get this done, they are giving out $100 Visa gift cards after service has been completed. Granted, the GSXRs are a big part of Suzuki's business so they want to keep their owners happy. Us lowly SV1000 owners, not so much. :lol:

Suzuki Announces Incentive Program for GSX-R Recall Service - Motorcycle.com News

· Registered
8 Posts
All these posts scared me, so I checked mine just now after 24500 km and all's good.

I guess it goes against the subject, but I thought I'd provide the data for statistics:

Year of Motorcycle : 2007

Mileage before magnet failure : 15200 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Synthetic

What brand of oil was used ? : Fuchs Silkolene pro 4 10w40 XP (always)

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : N/A

It has always had the same brand of oil and has always had the proper oil changes and general service. The riding pattern has been varied. Some years it's been city/open roads, some years more or less highway only. Some years it's been 7500 km a year, some years 200 km.

The last couple of years it's spent most of its time on highways at around 100 mph, some heavy accelerations, but mostly just commuting.

FWIW.

Attachments

· Registered
39 Posts
Just pulled mine apart on the weekend after it stopped charging and had a faint whirring noise coming from the stator area. Found that two magnets had come adrift and one got munched up pretty badly against the stator.

Year of Motorcycle : 2003

Mileage before magnet failure : 66,700 Kilometers.

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Semi synthetic (Only since I've owned it. Don't know what was used before that)

What brand of oil was used ? : Penrite MC4 10w-50

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : Ruined stator.

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has 2 magnets from an old rotor if you bought a replacement that you would sell to me? Suzuki not wanting to help as ever. Mine measure approx 60mm x 33mm x 8mm.

Why the comment about Suzuki?
They buy these as an assembly from a third party so they can only sell the assembly and not individual magnets.
-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
I wonder if in some way, the extra vibrations that are caused by the out-of-true or unbalanced clutch basket and crappy slipper clutch hub system, are contributing to this issue ? (sorry if this has been mentioned before, haven't read all 27 pages...ha ha)

Yes, i know its down the other end of the crank, and it is seperated through gear drives, but just maybe there is something in it ??

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
What are your observations or thoughts on any differences between the two rotors?

The whole rotor is manufactured in a different way. It is formed rather than machined from a casting. It mounts on a different size crank end and is a smaller radius. Weight is way different too.

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
I wonder if in some way, the extra vibrations that are caused by the out-of-true or unbalanced clutch basket and crappy slipper clutch hub system, are contributing to this issue ? (sorry if this has been mentioned before, haven't read all 27 pages...ha ha)

Yes, i know its down the other end of the crank, and it is seperated through gear drives, but just maybe there is something in it ??

At one point I was thinking this might be a bit of a contributor, but I think it is small. All of my info leads to heat. Especially now that I have multiple bikes with multiple failures at nearly identical intervals. These bikes have both now doubled that interval and keep going with the change over to the compufire RRs.

I would think once the epoxy fatigues, the extra rattle of the mentioned items just causes more rapid deterioration.

My personal bike when I put in the fixed basket had no impact on my second rotor failure. The second rotor failed at a nearly identical interval as the first. First was the stock 03/04 unit, second was the 05 and up unit.

-ms

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
......My SV's original rotor is holding up fine too......
It is time... time that we stood up for the rights of our rotors.....let us champion them !!!
Let us no longer speak of their shortcomings, but lift them high into the light.....(and look for little cracks and bits that aint where they should be)

Reactions: Hasha

· Registered
15 Posts
When I picked up my 05 SV1000S a few months ago with 17K miles, I incidentally found the rotor to have 3 broken magnets. Hadn't had any charging issues or weird vibrations. I don't know whether conventional or synthetic oil was used in the past

381 - 400 of 471 Posts