SV Portal Forums banner

401 - 420 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Mexico I decided to joined the forum after having an issue with a 2003 sv1000s I purchased recently. It has 25k miles approximately I have no record of the previous oil changes. I started using synthetic motor oil. I've been riding sports bikes since I was 14 years old and I have always ride the bikes very fast and very hard I was surprised with the torque and power coming from this v-twin engine and I was very happy with this bike. Few months after many repairs. suspension fuel pump, and many wiring issues I thought my bike was 100% ready. One day I was driving back home from work and as usual I was going fast. I stopped to put some gas and when I started the engine back up again I heard a slight click on the left engine cover. Far away from home and no tools available I decided to continue the ride. Few miles after that a's I was switching gears my engine died and my rear tire locked up which scared the hell out of me lucky I was able to control the bike and managed not to fall. I called my friend and we put it in the back of his truck and I went home. I was very sad thinking the worse of it. Locked up engine or messed up transmission few days later I started reading different posts and decided to open the bike. Sure enough broken magnets everywhere stator destroyed melted wired and stared and solenoid burned up!!! 😞 certanly not a quick or cheap fix. I've noticed some other flywheel magnets doesn't have the magnets exposed could I used any other model?? Is very hard to find parts for those bikes here in Mexico I have to order everything from US Europe or Japan. Sorry for this long post and also for writing more than you ask for I'm just trying to see if I can find some help from ppl with the same issues. Thanks!!

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,713 Posts
.... Is very hard to find parts for those bikes here in Mexico I have to order everything from US Europe or Japan. Sorry for this long post and also for writing more than you ask for I'm just trying to see if I can find some help from ppl with the same issues. Thanks!!
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry you suffered what sounds like a catastrophic failure due to destruction of your stator magnets.

eBay is a great source of second hand SV parts and it sounds like you'll need a bunch of stuff probably including a transmission and possibly even an engine. :shock:

You can also post up what you are wanting to buy here on the "Want to buy" thread in the Online Trading section of the forum. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Year of Motorcycle : 2003

Mileage before magnet failure : 100,000km

Semi-Synthetic

What brand of oil was used ? : Mobil Extra 4t 10w40

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : Ruined stator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stupid Rotor

I recently bought a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S and loved it till it died one day and would not start. The green connector has already been fixed and I started to look at other issues it might have been. With bike running the voltmeter only showed 11.6-12 volts even revving to 5k. Pull the stator cover off and see the destruction of the rotor :( It's got 17,042 miles on it and I don't know what oil the previous owners used. I'm surprised the magnets disintegrating like that didnt do any other harm but I am going to replace the rotor and stator.

Attachments

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,258 Posts
Nasty.....

If any of your existing magnets are still good, there are people here and there looking for donor magnets....
Help get some money back for you and some savings for them....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I believe the later era flywheel is lighter and bolts up.

I'd recommend epoxying it while it's nice and clean.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can confirm that the later model flywheel will work. I jus put one on my 2004 SV1000S about 2 months ago. It is lighter, and I was able to sell my magnets for $20 each. All six of mine were in good shape, just had two come loose but not damage anything. I checked mine with 7400 miles on it, and discovered loose magnets. In my case, I think it’s just an age thing that caused magnets to come loose in the flywheel. Suzuki really should have been more careful on this design. The SV1000 is a great bike that has a tarnished reputation because of a few shortcomings that could’ve been easily addressed at the engineering level. Oh well, got my 2004 with 7000 miles on it in February for $2500. Not even $500 in mods to make it reliable and faster (not including exhaust) I did the JB Weld between the magnets on the new flywheel before it went in. Happy with that decision, Bike does rev quicker!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,258 Posts
You say it revs quicker, but, have you noticed if it has affected the torque feeling ? Or, maybe better put, does the engine die back more when a load like a hill appears ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I noticed quicker revs, and quicker return to idle when free revving. I notice no ill effects pulling any hills. My sv1000 is lacking no ability to pull any hill at virtually any rpm above 1500 in any gear. Proper TPS setting and throttle body balance made it run very smoothly at low rpm, and it has torque for days. The bike just feels so much quicker now with holeshot exhaust, timing retard eliminator, and the lighter flywheel compared to bone stock when I bought it. It feels like it has much more torque. I do notice a bit more engine vibration, but nothing alarming. This is the only potential negative from the lighter flywheel. I’m not sure my JBWeld job didn’t have something to do with that. I kept it very clean and was careful to make them all even, but who knows? The bike is very enjoyable now. I have two bikes that are much more powerful; an RC51, and a tuned, full exhaust GSXS1000. The SV1000S can hold its own. It is not wildly slower than the RC, the GSXS1000 is pretty wild for what it is and there is no contest with it. The GSXS is properly quick! The SV1000S makes me smile every time I ride it. It is a very good all around bike, and it is quick too. A friend of mine has a 2013 ZX10 that should be able to run away from the sv1000, but he is always surprised when he can’t run away in curvy areas. He kills me on straights against the sv1000 at breakneck speeds though. He doesn’t really pull away until triple digit speeds! Regarding hills, my two sv650S’s (2001 and 2004) fall off a bit going up hills (just a twist on the throttle to overcome), but the SV1000S does not any more than it did with the heavy flywheel. If a person is concerned there will be a negative effect, or that a lighter flywheel will exact a cost on bike performance, they can always go back with a repaired stock flywheel, or a new one. I’m happy with the change on my bike. I just say Good luck with whatever you decide if you are on the fence! You can see a picture of my jb weld job in post 11 of this thread https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-tweaking-tuning-tricking/72703-magneto-nightmare.html

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,258 Posts
What’s the RSL?
Haha...

vic_bitter will know....

Its the Returned Servicemans League....

THE RSL has "clubs" all over Australia, 99% of them serve up awesome food, and thew profits of that, and poker machine revenue
are to help ex armed services people....

Reactions: twag4

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,258 Posts
....quicker revs, and quicker return to idle when free revving. ....no ill effects pulling any hills. ......I have two bikes that are much more powerful; an RC51, and a tuned, full exhaust GSXS1000. The SV1000S can hold its own. It is not wildly slower than the RC, the GSXS1000 is pretty wild for what it is and there is no contest with it. The GSXS is properly quick! The SV1000S makes me smile every time I ride it. It is a very good all around bike, and it is quick too. A friend of mine has a 2013 ZX10 that should be able to run away from the sv1000, but he is always surprised when he can’t run away in curvy areas. He kills me on straights against the sv1000 at breakneck speeds though. ............. the SV1000S does not any more than it did with the heavy flywheel.
Awesome little write up... (edited the quote to shorten it up....

Yeah, i am always shocking people with how capable the SV is.... no engine work apart from the WERKS basket upgrade and and early DL hub.... WAY less vibes now, and solis all hell take up....NO slip any more..... (mine is pretty high mileage and still had the original plates till about 5k miles ago..)

I have no need to trade up to anything....

Reactions: twag4

·
Registered
605 Posts
Haha...

vic_bitter will know....

Its the Returned Servicemans League....

THE RSL has "clubs" all over Australia, 99% of them serve up awesome food, and thew profits of that, and poker machine revenue
are to help ex armed services people....
I do, and you forgot the best part, CHEAP BEER.

·
Registered
969 Posts
A lighter flywheel shouldn't have any impact on how well it "pulls a hill".

It'll be a little easier to stall off the line, and idle might be a hair less smooth.

It'll slow down a little quicker when you let off the gas... but also be a little less likely to skid the rear if you screw up a downshift.

On a dyno, whether you see any differences depends on the dyno type. An inertial dyno should show very minor improvement (everywhere). Lighter wheels will do the same. A load cell shouldn't show any difference.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,258 Posts
A lighter flywheel shouldn't have any impact on how well it "pulls a hill".
e a little easier to stall off the line......
I realise that the actual pulling up a hill wont be hurt as such, actually would be improved on acceleration for sure....my thinking was towards it dropping back on a steady throttle initially because of the decrease in rotational mass.....not too different to the take off stall risk you mentioned.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Year of Motorcycle : 2007

Mileage before magnet failure : 65,000 km

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Synthetic

What brand of oil was used ? : Castrol 10W-40

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : I hope not.

I have had this bike only for a few months. I had a K3 (my avatar) with 55,000 km before and the magnets of that bike were OK. Last week after two track days with this "new" bike I decided that it was a time for an oil change. I discovered some metal chips on oil drain plug and started investigating. I found some magnet fragments on oil sump filter also. The stator seemed to be ok, so i only ordered ROTOR ASSY,MAGNETO 3210216G10. I should get it in a week, cost 300 €.

My riding just before these magnet problems:
https://youtu.be/xER8ZjVAs4M

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bitten

Year of Motorcycle : 2006

Mileage before magnet failure : 47,000 mi

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Rotella T6 Synthetic 5 - 40

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : Yes, ruined battery, may have damaged replacement current one, may have risked / damaged electrical system of car giving me the jump start.

Left me stranded in July while filling up on gas. Replaced battery, then in October would not start and had to get a jump start to get home. If I hadn't just put new tires on it and purchased the new battery, I might have scrapped the bike. The stator looks ok, only ordered ROTOR ASSY,MAGNETO 3210216G10 cost $305. And tools : Puller 20 mm x 1.5 10$. Metric / hex socket set to remove the starter gear.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,713 Posts
My friend with a DL1000 just told me last week he was going to bring me an interesting letter he got from Suzuki in regards to either Stator magnets or stator failures. They might be reimbursing some DL owners!? I told him to bring the letter by.
-ms

I know this is an old post from 2016, but I'm curious to find out if you ever got hold of that letter.

401 - 420 of 451 Posts