SV Portal Forums banner
461 - 471 of 471 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
You mean the rotor cover ? Or the rotor bolt ?

The cover bolts are just good and firm.....and you can clean the gasket as long as you are careful removing it and coat it in gasket cement (non hardening)
I have used the same gasket 4 times now that way....
Hi,
Thanks for the response, wow 4 times, why so many?
Yes the magneto cover / rotor cover.
Actually torque specs for both would be good, cover bolts and rotor bolt - would you know where I can find these?
I have also ordered a new gasket ready for when I decide to open the cover, I was advised that no glue or sealant is needed, apparently the gasket is enough.
Thanks again.

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the response, wow 4 times, why so many?
Yes the magneto cover / rotor cover.
Actually torque specs for both would be good, cover bolts and rotor bolt - would you know where I can find these?
I have also ordered a new gasket ready for when I decide to open the cover, I was advised that no glue or sealant is needed, apparently the gasket is enough.
Thanks again.
These values are available in the service manual.

-ms

· Registered
20 Posts
First I have to say Thank You to all the guys that have posted there experiences on the forum giving me the confidence to check and then tackle the solution to the Gen magnet issue.

My bike is a 2005 SV1000n with just over 25000 klms, yes you read it right.

Overserviced with synthetic oils all it's life.

Took the magneto cover off to inspect and found 2 magnets sitting on the coils and one moved.

Followed the repair procedure on this forum to the best of my ability. See following pictures.

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

2 magnets attatched on coils as I removed cover and 1 had shuffled around on rotor

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

See 1 magnet rotated against others

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle chain Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Rotar removed with quick rattle on removal tool

Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Rim Engineering

Rotor cleaned with contact cleaner, removed any residue and roughed up, reglued 3 loose magnets and also added fillets between remaining magnets. Difficult working with expoxy between magnets.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Machine Circle

Masked up ready for epoxy between magnets

Wheel Automotive tire Blue Alloy wheel Rim

Back together and voltage checks and 1000 klms later no issues.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,020 Posts
Nice set of pics..... good catch.... some will say to fill the gaps totally, but i think that 25% is enough, its basically a wheel chock

Reactions: muzza1000

· Registered
20 Posts
Nice set of pics..... good catch.... some will say to fill the gaps totally, but i think that 25% is enough, its basically a wheel chock
Inspection prompted by a different vibration coming through the seat on my favourite road Macquarie Pass to Robertson Pie Shop.

Yes I was pretty happy I checked then no damage at all, now the bike is also smooth.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,020 Posts
Inspection prompted by a different vibration coming through the seat on my favourite road Macquarie Pass to Robertson Pie Shop.

Yes I was pretty happy I checked then no damage at all, now the bike is also smooth.
Mac Pass, now thats a road i havent visited in a very long time....remember the old man deciding to do that run back in the late 70's with a caravan behind the HQ wagon....in the dark toward the coast..... decided upon reflection to stop at i think the Mt Murray Rd intersection.....bit of a pull off there....camped the night...then the tippers started....all night HA HA....
The run down the hill was not fun back then in a low tech car with no electric brakes on the van....

· Registered
20 Posts
Yep spot on Mt Murray turn off, bit of a gravel pit truck pull off. Definitely challenging under those circumstances but a great bike road with good surface and local knowledge it's a blast but a lot of people come unstuck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello first post here, what a better presentation :D
SV1000S 2005, 30K Km, no idea about the oil as I bought it a couple of months ago.
2 broken magnets, 1 free to move, 3 shifted.
I recognized the problem as my bike was not able to charge my phone while riding and later I found the battery was getting weak in voltage.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Aircraft engine Automotive design

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,020 Posts
Doesnt look like you have lost much magnet material, a good clean up of the crumbles and making sure that you have the poles correct when re- fixing
and it may very well be ok. BUt the stator on the other hand may be a bit messy. Do the proper checks on the stator continuity before reassenmbly and then the AC voltages
when running...

Reactions: VeeTee
461 - 471 of 471 Posts