SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone here
my plan is to replace ignition switch on my SV1K 03 because the ignition key doesnt match with gas cap lock and seat lock key . so i bough used set with matching key for all 3 of these gizmos. woalaaa....i can have one key for all 3 locks!
when i was about to swap the ignition switch i found out that green connector was already cut out/ repaired by PO and replaced with crimp connectors but no prob.works..
but Ignition switch i bought has R red, O orange, O/Y orange yellow and Br brown wires coming out.
compare to bike wiring loom and ignition switch i wanna replace those have - green, black, red black, and brown black wires.
im trying to finď out which wire connects to wich since theres no green connector anymore i dont know which wires connect together.
when i looked on wiring diagram of 03 model it has matching colors on ignition switch side and on wiring loom side but nothing near wire colors that i have on my bike.
is it possible that earlier 03 models had different color wiring? sticker on mine says it was made 02/2003.
hope someone here ran already into this mismatching wire problem and can give me advice on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello.
I made a little guide for you to figure out the wiring on your ignition, since you have strange wiring colors.
You need a multimeter, ohmmeter whatever, preferable one that beeps when circuit is closed.

Measure from fusebox, fuse marked "FUEL 10A" to each of the 4 wires - the wire that makes the multimeter beep needs to be connected to the RED wire from ign. switch.

Measure from fusebox, fuse marked "IGNITION 15A" to each of the 3 remaining wires - the wire that makes the multimeter beep needs to be connected to the ORANGE wire from ign. switch.

Remove the flasher relay on the fuse box.
Measure from terminal on picture to each of the 2 remaining wires - the wire that makes the multimeter beep needs to be connected to the BROWN wire from ign. switch.

The last wire needs to be connected to the ORANGE/YELLOW wire from ign. switch.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you for the detailed write up JumJum, appreciate your help to sort out that wire chaos.
yes i have some el cheapo multimeter and that should do the job to check the continuity of those wires.
already ordered new connector to replace whatever is currently there, so im able to connect/disconnet ignition swith to main wiring harness.
thank you again .
tak skal du have

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,257 Posts
Sounds like the switch you got is from an 05 up model......different wiring loom as well to the 03 models.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Missing link thank you for the update, wow so those wire colors are matching 05 model? no idea that wiring harness came off different bike, but for sure PO crashed it but couldnt tell what he did to it.
here is the pic of wires ( where used to be green connector) connecting from ignition key switch to main harness

Attachments

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,257 Posts
Missing link thank you for the update, wow so those wire colors are matching 05 model? no idea that wiring harness came off different bike, but for sure PO crashed it but couldnt tell what he did to it.
here is the pic of wires ( where used to be green connector) connecting from ignition key switch to main harness
Yeah, its a guess, but i reckon it might be the answer.... as long as you have got all your electrics working they way they shold, then, all is good....
Just make sure you weather proof that connection as best you can....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts