SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For our non-US members, how is the rest of the World responding to the historic events of last evening? I've read a few news articles but they seem to say exactly the same thing. I'm looking for more grassroots reactions.

What's the response in your Country?

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,843 Posts
We honestly could'nt give a shit. ( in the nicest possible way )

We got so many problems now caused by the American banking system that we ain't got time for nothing else.

It don't matter who you got as President, they ain'y gonna help us in anyway. The only thing I can garentee is that when he leaves office, he'll be a multi milionaire and you'll all be the ones who pay for it one way or another.

Enjoy.

Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
We honestly could give a shit. ( in the nicest possible way )

We got so many problems now caused by the American banking system that we ain't got time for nothing else.

It don't matter who you got as President, they ain'y gonna help us in anyway. The only thing I can garentee is that when he leaves office, he'll be a multi milionaire and you'll all be the ones who pay for it one way or another.

Enjoy.

Pete
so basically the same way some of us feel

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Well, the immediate reaction in Japan was a pretty significant drop in their stock market.:HMM:

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the immediate reaction in Japan was a pretty significant drop in their stock market.:HMM:
His predident-elect status does not change the current economic situation. Pretty hard to draw a definitive connection between these two events. Not impossible, but difficult.

·
More fun than
1,060 Posts
His predident-elect status does not change the current economic situation. Pretty hard to draw a definitive connection between these two events. Not impossible, but difficult.
i going to have to disagree with you tjm. i would say its easy to draw this conclusion. when you consider that most trading is done on futures and speculation, investor confidence plays a huge part. thats why you saw a fall after we rejected our first bail out plan. we left the rest of the world reeling, because in their eyes we were still unstable. if the worlds dominant power couldn't figure it out, then what were the rest going to do. that is also why things rally or fall based on fed rate cuts/hikes

·
Registered
6,634 Posts

No, it doesn't change anything at the moment. I do though remember hearing that usually an election is good for at least a temporary jump in stock markets. That didn't happen in Japan, maybe its something, maybe its not. It is, however, a fact that they did have a drop.

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it doesn't change anything at the moment. I do though remember hearing that usually an election is good for at least a temporary jump in stock markets. That didn't happen in Japan, maybe its something, maybe its not. It is, however, a fact that they did have a drop.
I think this economic disaster is a bit different than any past events. I think that the World is more in tune with looking at substantial info. Until economic plans are announced, things won't change.

·
I STILL love twins!
13,004 Posts
that is also why things rally or fall based on fed rate cuts/hikes
You can add in "traditionally" to that statement because all the old rules are gone. The latest rate cuts have done ZERO for the long bond market which effects mortgage rates. In fact they had gone up until the last few days.

·
The Original SV Explorer.
4,770 Posts
For our non-US members, how is the rest of the World responding to the historic events of last evening? I've read a few news articles but they seem to say exactly the same thing. I'm looking for more grassroots reactions.

What's the response in your Country?
Well i guess sitting up half the night to see it first hand and watch how it unfolded showed my feelings to a certain extent on the other Votethread!! A few people i spoke to today shared the same views... For once America has not decided at the last rudy minute to run for the safe option..

This time they decided to put that faith onto a ballot paper and not to the masses up stairs and run safe. I like Barrak Obama, i like John McCain! There were certain key issues for me, for Obama! But i think America has showed good judgement! With an example for the rest of the world to see, the United States united in a very different way, that the people now want to see some real changes, not just to their own land. but to lands across the Globe.

I have a really good feeling at this, and i hope the people are right, i really do. And i hope Barrack lives up to that faith.. Because he won hearts and minds in his own country. I think in the least, it will make people in other countries sit up now and at least listen back, rather then the old image of US elects, and settling for the usual qualites. I hope it is a good change, it will take time, the world is in a real mess. But what the american people have showed can only be deemed as a positive.

·
The Original SV Explorer.
4,770 Posts
I think this economic disaster is a bit different than any past events. I think that the World is more in tune with looking at substantial info. Until economic plans are announced, things won't change.
I agree.. this will not bring about instant change, i think once plans are afoot on economic policies, and ideas are put forward. Then i think the world will show its reactions... I also think we are next (UK).
Just the other day i got reminded to get my election register done Now!!! as there is still talk of a snap election in the new year....Jan-Mar!!??? And a General Election at that!

·
Registered
138 Posts
First reaction?

Nice to have a US President who can string a coherant sentence together at long last :D

And like any incoming leader, Obama will not be able to change much if anything in the short term but good luck to the man, I think he'll need it.

1,444 Posts
Reactions here in Denmark are positive.

There is a lot of attention and the election was covered live by the two major TV broadcast stations, all night – (Danish time)

There have been polls in denmark (85% in support for Obama if we would have a saying)

There has been election party’s at the two major universities with both republican and democratic supporters, and the American ambassador as special guest in University of Copenhagen

Our politicians are on TV with comments all day, and in general they congratulate the US with Obama, and emphases that this shows what the US really is about – “the land of opportunities”.

US popularity is rising.

US popularity in Denmark have suffered the last few years – and even if the US citizens in general don’t give a F#(& abut US popularity in Europe, it is of great significance, given that along with the British, we (the Danes) are the strongest supporters of the active US foreign policies, having our soldiers fighting* in I the Helmand province in Afghanistan, and before that in Iraq.

The Danish stock exchange reacted positive today :D

I would like to congratulate the US as well - both with your democracy and with your new president.

*(most of the European soldiers in Afghanistan are in the peaceful parts of that “hell-hole” – seems that the Britt’s and us are the only Europeans that have the balls to kick some Taliban ass)

·
0-ER in 2.5 seconds
2,101 Posts
We honestly could give a shit. ( in the nicest possible way )
Argh, don't tell me that phrase is catching on overseas.

Everyone here says "I could care less", which suggests that they do actually care.

The phrase is "I couldn't care less", just like "I couldn't give a shit".

Grrr.... *seethe*

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Except that they did change in the sense that there was a drop. It may be meaningful or it may not but should not be overlooked just because folks are in the middle of their Obamagasm (tm Pez).

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
Argh, don't tell me that phrase is catching on overseas.

Everyone here says "I could care less", which suggests that they do actually care.

The phrase is "I couldn't care less", just like "I couldn't give a shit".

Grrr.... *seethe*
As the saying goes "we will have to suck it and see".

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,218 Posts
Personally I think it's an Obamanation that he got in but we'll see what this SUPER STAR can do!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts