SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s / 18000 miles
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On going oil leak at the drain plug. tried different crush washers. but today I decided to take a look at the threads in the hole. Does this look normal?
Eye Automotive tire Fluid Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive lighting Fluid Water Automotive tire Rim

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
Yes, that is normal..... its to mke sure the sump is drained to its lowest point, while ensuring there is plenty of thread to grip.
DO NOT overtighten the plug, found the threads to be a bit soft.
Make sure you have a decent quality plug washer.....and check that the mating surface of the sump is nice and flat and smooth....if not, use a smooth file and draw it back and forth over the area to get it noce and even, then clean the threads to make sure there are not alloy filings caught ....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s / 18000 miles
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is normal..... its to mke sure the sump is drained to its lowest point, while ensuring there is plenty of thread to grip.
DO NOT overtighten the plug, found the threads to be a bit soft.
Make sure you have a decent quality plug washer.....and check that the mating surface of the sump is nice and flat and smooth....if not, use a smooth file and draw it back and forth over the area to get it noce and even, then clean the threads to make sure there are not alloy filings caught ....
Thanks for verifying that. I wish they had given us a few more threads. I put some permatex 59214 high temp thread sealant on the plug with a new washer from suzuki and torqued to 192 in/lbs. Say in the sds to allow 24 hours cure time on the sealant. So I will fill it later today. I also thread sealed the big allen head plug just aft of that with a new washer too. and the two plugs for the machining on the left side. fingers crossed.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,848 Posts
My only other concern is that it has been overtightened, or even bottomed out at some point on a curb a whatever, and it has put a hairline crack radiating ffrom the hole.
That would only leak under stress .......
If the leak continues, then clean it up thoroughly and start it up and watch for where the oil comes from..... The thread sealant isn't a thread locker i hope....

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you use the right crush washer from Suzuki and it torques up to the specified torque it shouldn't leak. If the spot face the washer seals against isn't damaged and the plug flange that the washer tightens on isn't damaged that is. If its still leaking i would look for damage to those surfaces.

These are not designed to seal on the thread. Tapered threads BSP etc are, and because of that slot you only have about 4 continuous threads to seal. Thread sealant is a short term fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts