SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an sv1000 a few days ago, and I’ve done some of the basic maintenance already such as oil change and spark plugs. The bike runs well for about 20-30 minutes then it suddenly dies on me. When I go to start the bike again it turns on, but it sounds like the fuel injection system keeps running even after it’s on. While it’s in neutral at this point, the bike moves even with clutch held in and it stalls when I put it in gear. Any theories?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
The fuel pump will still be running, the fuller the tank, the quieter it will be...... If it is excessively noisey, maybe the fuel filter is blocked up.
Take the tank off and remove the pump, then remove the pump from the mountng plate and clean the pick-up screen, quit probably full of crap....
This may help, if not, remove the filter housing and soak it overnight in fuel system cleaner and the backflush it.......if you can.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you bled the clutch fluid really well?
Yes same issue. I’m thinking it’s a clutch cable issue. Today I went to turn it on and it wouldn’t start, as soon as I set the aftermarket clutch lever to as far away as it could go, it started. Weird stuff

·
Registered
612 Posts
The 1k doesn't have a clutch cable.
Aftermarket levers can cause problems with the safety start cut out switch, but it either works or it doesn't there's no in between.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1k doesn't have a clutch cable.
Aftermarket levers can cause problems with the safety start cut out switch, but it either works or it doesn't there's no in between.
What’s the “safety start cut out switch”? Is it just a hydraulic clutch then?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
What’s the “safety start cut out switch”? Is it just a hydraulic clutch then?
Under the clutch master cylinder, there is a small microswitch that the clutch lever activates when pulled in to release the clutch.
This switch allows the starter circuit to work, ensuring that the clutch is not engaged, to prevent the bike taking off on you.

There will be a hose runnign from the clutch master cylinder down behind the chassis to the clutch slave cylinder, cause, as said by vic_bitter, these bikes dont have a cable operated clutch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts