SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought an SV1000. And I'm dying to get started on it. But I'm a little nervous, I'm actually insanely nervous to get on it. I've never been on any kind of bike before other than graduating out of training wheels. It's clear that I'm out of mind. 馃榿馃槃I did sign up for the BRC but that's a month out. Also I noticed, I'm a girl and very short and my feet tipy toe when upright. It's a little unnerving. I could really use some starter advice.
It's the devil in me trying to get a thrill. Really it's always been a goal of mine to ride. So maybe all you out there are going to get off the streets now you know I'll soon be on the asphalt- shaving me down smaller or my tires.
Would love some pro tips... so I'm not the only one with a problem... I love

Registered
05 sv1k
an after market seat will lower your body a little and allow you better footing. This is a big power full bike for a beginner. Be very care full and ride within your limits. "a twist of the wrist" is a very good video to watch. Its geared toward racing but the fundamentals are the same. As you can see the devil is in my bike too.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
an after market seat will lower your body a little and allow you better footing. This is a big power full bike for a beginner. Be very care full and ride within your limits. "a twist of the wrist" is a very good video to watch. Its geared toward racing but the fundamentals are the same. As you can see the devil is in my bike too. View attachment 118039
View attachment 118038

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
What year bike did you get ? The 03 models has a higher seat because of the rear subframe......

Registered
I'd have started on a GS500 or a vulcan 500 or similar. I know of a thin and small girl who rides an R1, but it wasn't her first bike.
TBH, I like the SV1000 because it reminds me of my GS500 and yes I am a life long 40+ yrs of being a biker, I still have several GS500's and love em. Its almost a beginer bike that you dont out grow. But yes ride well with in your limits in all cases regardless of the bike.

Registered
05 sv1k
40+ years here too. I recently bought a 05 ninja 250. Great 1st bike. Still fun for experienced riders. The sv1000 would not be my first choice. If you can swing it you should save the sv and learn the first year on a beater bike. The sv will be there when you are ready.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! That is some life saving info Hondaman. Thanks, I enjoyed all the science they added with it. Now that I know everything the pro's know, I'm just going to head over to the track馃槃. Truly though, thanks a million. I learned a ton. I did have a question though (well I have too many) but what is he talking about "down shifting without the clutch (slipper clutch) "?
..... She's definitely a scary bike.
馃 how confusing? Some proficient I am馃槃...
What year bike did you get ? The 03 models has a higher seat because of the rear subframe......
It's a 2005馃榿
I'd have started on a GS500 or a vulcan 500 or similar. I know of a thin and small girl who rides an R1, but it wasn't her first bike.
TBH, I like the SV1000 because it reminds me of my GS500 and yes I am a life long 40+ yrs of being a biker, I still have several GS500's and love em. Its almost a beginer bike that you dont out grow. But yes ride well with in your limits in all cases regardless of the bike.
That's good to know! I'm a little over the top sometimes if you can't tell. I just got my permit and I'm getting my gear today. So I'l finally be able to actually get on out it!!!馃ぉ
40+ years here too. I recently bought a 05 ninja 250. Great 1st bike. Still fun for experienced riders. The sv1000 would not be my first choice. If you can swing it you should save the sv and learn the first year on a beater bike. The sv will be there when you are ready.
Yeah!!! That's very true. I'm going to have to see if I can find a decent one. I spent most all my moolah on my SV. But I would really not want to wreck it or me.

Registered
05 sv1k
In racing there are many advanced skill that do not apply to street riding but the fundamentals of turning, braking, and corner lines do apply. Your biggest takeaway should be AVOID target fictation, allways look far ahead, do not ride above your limits, and wear your gear. What part of the country do you live? Lots of nice roads here in Maine. Also the more bikes the better.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In racing there are many advanced skill that do not apply to street riding but the fundamentals of turning, braking, and corner lines do apply. Your biggest takeaway should be AVOID target fictation, allways look far ahead, do not ride above your limits, and wear your gear. What part of the country do you live? Lots of nice roads here in Maine. Also the more bikes the better. View attachment 118040
I live in Utah. 馃槃... Only a bit away.
Sounds like I need more bikes then.
Also my oil light is on. Is that normal馃お
Also how do I know if it needs more?
And what type of oil should I feed it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! That is some life saving info Hondaman. Thanks, I enjoyed all the science they added with it. Now that I know everything the pro's know, I'm just going to head over to the track馃槃. Truly though, thanks a million. I learned a ton. I did have a question though (well I have too many) but what is he talking about "down shifting without the clutch (slipper clutch) "?
..... She's definitely a scary bike.
馃 how confusing? Some proficient I am馃槃...

It's a 2005馃榿

That's good to know! I'm a little over the top sometimes if you can't tell. I just got my permit and I'm getting my gear today. So I'l finally be able to actually get on out it!!!馃ぉ

Yeah!!! That's very true. I'm going to have to see if I can find a decent one. I spent most all my moolah on my SV. But I would really not want to wreck it or me.
I live in Utah. 馃槃... Only a bit away.
Sounds like I need more bikes then.
Also my oil light is on. Is that normal馃お
Also how do I know if it needs more?
And what type of oil should I feed it?
Actually I figured it out. When I fire it up the oil light goes away. And Ohh my gracious. The torque on this thing is insane. I'm definitely going to need a smaller engine 馃サ

Attachments

Registered
No, oil light after the bike starts is not normal.
Oil should be at the right level in the sight glass when its off, you cant/shouldn't overfill it to turn off the light.
The Suzuki method is to trigger the light with pressure, so you really shouldn't see it light up at all if the level is fine when cold and the bike is idling. Yamaha is different, its a level based light in those things. No light being on when idling = bad.

Registered
Good you figured it out.
BTW torque is your friend, you dont need to shift up and down as much.
Though I still think this is too much for you right now, torque can be used to help your learning experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I figured it out. When I fire it up the oil light goes away. And Ohh my gracious. The torque on this thing is insane. I'm definitely going to need a smaller engine 馃サ

Good you figured it out.
BTW torque is your friend, you dont need to shift up and down as much.
Though I still think this is too much for you right now, torque can be used to help your learning experience.
Ok... Well that's good I guess. I've tried like 15 times to get it to catch into first gear. But I just keep stalling it. My world, what's the trick to it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok... Well that's good I guess. I've tried like 15 times to get it to catch into first gear. But I just keep stalling it. My world, what's the trick to it?
Like to push more throttle than when you release, or do you try to release more quickly or is it both evenly at the same time?馃ぃ This is so much fun...

Registered
05 sv1k
Important to read the owners manual..........If you do not have one you can download online....
Clutch apply is a little different with each bike. If you keep stalling it then a little more throttle and slower clutch apply. It will come in time. Keep an eye on your oil level mine uses a little. It should be near the top of the window with the bike level. Oil is a personal choice as long as you use a motorcycle specific oil. Factory says a 10w40 I run shell rotella 15w40 T6. Never stop learning......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Important to read the owners manual..........If you do not have one you can download online....
Clutch apply is a little different with each bike. If you keep stalling it then a little more throttle and slower clutch apply. It will come in time. Keep an eye on your oil level mine uses a little. It should be near the top of the window with the bike level. Oil is a personal choice as long as you use a motorcycle specific oil. Factory says a 10w40 I run shell rotella 15w40 T6. Never stop learning......
Sweet!!! Wow thank you so much.
My bike Thanks you too. Can I pick up oil only at motorcycle shops?

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
When checking the oil level, it should be checked with the bike upright....if you fill to the top line on the side stand, it will have way too much....so, buy a rear stand and some pickup knobs to suit the bike.....
10W40 is possibly best for you winter wise, and 10w50 in summer......semi-synth or full synth

1 - 17 of 17 Posts