SV Portal Forums banner

Jaffa needs TLC

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  kiwi60 
#1 ·
My old girl is showing her age and a trip out today was very uncomfortable as the rear shock is know knackered, small pool of fluid left at the services on the M4, so has anyone got an old stock one sitting in the garage?

As well as that the exhaust is blowing and needs replacing, all the foot rests are in need of replacing.

Indicators are wobbling as the bolts have rusted solid.

Engine cases are somehow still in place (I do think if I wash it they may fall off)

Small oil leak near the side stand and the front fork seals look like they need some attention.

Other than that still goes like the day I picked it up, fast and fun although
it is getting close to the time that it is not economical to spend any more money on her.

#2 ·
Sounds kind of sad Alun :(

I'm sure there'll be people out here in SV land that have some of the bits you need .... what exhaust(s) have you got? I've got the 2 stock cans and one Carbon Can Co can that are good as new if you want them.

Keep the old girl going, and the bike ;)

DC

#3 ·
My old girl is showing her age and a trip out today was very uncomfortable as the rear shock is know knackered, small pool of fluid left at the services on the M4, so has anyone got an old stock one sitting in the garage?

As well as that the exhaust is blowing and needs replacing, all the foot rests are in need of replacing.
i've got a stock shock off my old 03 sv1ks. not sure the milage on it since previous owner had replaced it with a gsxr unit.

ive got a set of debaffled stock cans as well.

im in the states so i dont know what shipping would cost but pm me back if you've got interest in any these

#4 ·
DC, Things are bad just as I fix one thing something else goes. The front pipe and rear gasket are crumbling, if you rememember at JHS it wasn't a good repair that I had done the last time, well the clamp I used is the strongest part now. The cans are fine a little scratched but fine.

Lusipher, Thanks for the offer but I think I will be able to get one a bit nearer to home.

#5 ·
Poor little Jaffacake, hope you can put her back in order for relatively little outlay. :hug:

#8 ·
Well I have managed to get a secondhand shock from Bernies (ebay find) and looking at the manual should be a job I can do.

Only down side is it says remove exhaust! Will it be possible to but it back I ask myself.....

will let you know, how it goes.

#9 ·
Noooooooo !!! you don't need to remove or even touch the exhaust .... You will need a pair of axle stands and a bar thru the swing arm hole plus a trolley jack... it all unbolts and drops out with ease ... plenty of info on here or just stay here when your doing it and the guys will talk you thru it .. that's what I did and went very smoothly..

#15 ·
Yep - I know that feeling too.

I think it's time for a beer, a relaxing smoke and another go:cheers:

#18 ·
No it's loose of the brackets it just seems that I need to take the exhaust out. I'm sure that if I was in a better frame of mind it would come out. The bike nearly fell over twice and I could see me getting my hand trapped.

Called in at Lugunas and they wanted silly money for the bearing and bolts plus I would have to order them as they are not stock items..

Fresh start in the morning maybe if I went to church first it would help..

#20 ·
Done it, my prayers were answered, a mate popped round to collect some timber from my garage and before he loaded the timber on his truck, we had it all fixed in about half an hour.

Fresh eyes and he suggested that removing the lower staberlysing strap on the off side and out it came.

I still need to sort out the bearings and the exhaust gaskets but that's another day.

#22 ·
Good news, nothing like a pair of extra hands to get things done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.