SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to the site, first issue just popped up.

I just bought this bike a month ago. Heard a strange rattle last week. Just found this.
Is this safe still to ride to mechanic for repair?

2004 SV1000S

Thanks,
rotor2.png

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the loose ring aluminium, steel or just rubber? It looks like metal dust and like something have been grinding.
Better not ride it anywhere - off with the wheel and sprocket carrier so you can see what the bearings are like. They are easy and fairly cheap to replace.

My brother used to work at a Agro machinery workshop - they sell their own line of bearing which is just relabeled SKF. The quality is good and since it's braneded for agriculture machinery the price is dirty cheap compared to stuff branded for motorcycles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the loose ring aluminium, steel or just rubber? It looks like metal dust and like something have been grinding.
Better not ride it anywhere - off with the wheel and sprocket carrier so you can see what the bearings are like. They are easy and fairly cheap to replace.

My brother used to work at a Agro machinery workshop - they sell their own line of bearing which is just relabeled SKF. The quality is good and since it's braneded for agriculture machinery the price is dirty cheap compared to stuff branded for motorcycles.
The ring is aluminum and rubber. I'm new to this, could it be that the bearings are gone? Was riding it today and did notice a bit of play on the back end but thought I may be imagining it. There was some metal filings in there too. Should probably replace bearings on both sides of back wheel? I'm not very mechanical but maybe some Youtube videos would be enough to do it myself? Better to take it to a mechanice? All Moto mechanics here in Vancouver are booked a month in advance right now and charge a lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! :) With the manual...and some tools, there's nothing on the bike that you can't do yourself. Even if you need to buy the tools....it'll be cheaper than paying someone to fix it and then you'll have the tools for the next job that comes up. People here will be glad to help you work through this if you want to DIY. Good luck!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
The ring is aluminum and rubber. I'm new to this, could it be that the bearings are gone? Was riding it today and did notice a bit of play on the back end but thought I may be imagining it. There was some metal filings in there too. Should probably replace bearings on both sides of back wheel? I'm not very mechanical but maybe some Youtube videos would be enough to do it myself? Better to take it to a mechanice? All Moto mechanics here in Vancouver are booked a month in advance right now and charge a lot. Thanks!
It looks like the seal.....strange how it has failed like that..... I agree with estevns that it is probably best to pull her down and put new bearings (sealed versions) in, along with a new seal
on the caliper side at least.

As RecoilRob pointed out, use a manual and some words of advice on the fix up..... IF removing the wheeel bearings, when they are re-installed, one side goes in first (brake side) until it seats, then the other side until it just butts against the spacer tube......
See the pic attached...you can see the caliper on the right and the sprocket on the left. Notice the bearing on the right is seated completely....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts