SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
It's good to work
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after some time playing with bolt-on mufflers i was never going to get the performance enhancement without getting rid of the standard exhaust spaghetti.

So i ordered a Yoshi 3/4 system with 2 into one from the US and fitted it this easter. Sounds great and i have a movie on my web-site:

http://www.rhodes-racing.co.uk/SV1000S/Movie.html

Went on no problem just needed to modify one of my old exhausts hangers to support the muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice! Question on the exhaust - is it deeper or louder than it sounds in the video? I've really been having fits over what exhaust to get for my bike...If only I could hear them all in person! :pistols:

·
Help - I need a life!!!!
765 Posts
Question on the exhaust - is it deeper or louder than it sounds in the video? I've really been having fits over what exhaust to get for my bike...If only I could hear them all in person!
I've had a 3/4 Yoshi on since last may - and it sounds AWESOME, just take the decible mute out the end.

Under constant throttle at legal speeds it's very respectable, and I didn't think it was too loud till I had the SV on the dyno when it hit 7000rpm we all grabbed ear muffs!!!!!!!!!!!

Was out riding with a mate on a R1100S Bemmer with Remus pipes, and he says he can always tell when I closing in behind - he can hear me coming:niceone:

Plus it takes a few kgs weight off which is an added bonus.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the same system on my 03' and besides the weight savings, performance gains and nice sound, my favorite thing about this system is that it matches the line of the tail section.

My regular riding bud has a Monster with Arrows and I can't even hear my bike in front or behind. I think this system, although not street legal, is not completely obnoxiuos.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have access to a real tuner the PCIII would be an excellent addition to the system.

If not, don't bother with the expense of the unit if you can't get a custom map. Spend the money on your suspension.

That's my opinion from FHE.

·
It's good to work
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks really nice :)
I'm going to get it soon.
Do You know if power commander need to be fitted with it?
cheers
If you have access to a real tuner the PCIII would be an excellent addition to the system.

If not, don't bother with the expense of the unit if you can't get a custom map. Spend the money on your suspension.

That's my opinion from FHE.
As we in the UK have an o2 sensor in the later bike you will need to get a power commander if you do not want to see an error message on your dash and it will default to a safe map and I am sure you will want to take advantage of the extra power a fully flowed exhaust would give.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want to do this and retain the pillion foot peg, you can also do a quick cut 'n weld on the Yoshi 2-into-1 pipe and everything will bolt up nicely. I did this for my K3 naked, which I believe has the same (lower) sub frame height as the later models. Any good muffler shop should be able to do this for you.

I haven't polished this back up yet since I'm probably going to get the whole thing ceramic coated, but here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

·
Roll on Summer.....
307 Posts
If you want to do this and retain the pillion foot peg, you can also do a quick cut 'n weld on the Yoshi 2-into-1 pipe and everything will bolt up nicely. I did this for my K3 naked, which I believe has the same (lower) sub frame height as the later models. Any good muffler shop should be able to do this for you.

I haven't polished this back up yet since I'm probably going to get the whole thing ceramic coated, but here are a couple of photos.
Looks like the pigeons were about when you had this done!:shifty:

·
Help - I need a life!!!!
765 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone needing to cut and reweld the 3/4 Yoshi before, and I certainly didn't need to when fitting to my '05 above (and it wasn't even designed for this model).

I did use some aftermarket passenger peg mounts (which caused a few other non-related headaches), and all that was needed was two machined spacers behind where they mount to the frame, and everything lined up perfectly, the spacing was exactly the same when I checked it with the std mountings.

Fit the pipe and muffler as per the instructions, and bolt the pillion peg mounting to the muffler, and move the Yoshi mounting strap to approximatley the right place, you'll see that there's a gap between the frame and the mounting. Measure the gap, I think mine was about 20mm, and go and get your local machine shop to turn up a couple of aluminium spacers on their lathe.
A quick stop into your bolt supply shop for some longer stainless steel bolts, and you'll have a finished job with out ugly welds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Change friends.
Very helpful.

Honestly if you have any useful advice beyond dumping on the weld quality (which as I said, isn't pretty but is solid), I'm all ears. Proper machine shops won't touch something simple like this (I tried), and I don't know any professional fabricators, so I went with the best option I knew of. Once I get it ceramic coated I seriously doubt you'll even be able to tell.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone needing to cut and reweld the 3/4 Yoshi before, and I certainly didn't need to when fitting to my '05 above (and it wasn't even designed for this model).
Trust me, it absolutely will not fit as stock on an SV with the lower subframe, like my K3 naked. With the lower subframe, as the 3/4 mounts it will aim the muffler straight into the middle of the pillion peg. You can force it to fit by unbolting the 2->1 collector from the frame mount and forcing it in place, but I think this is a very bad solution. I don't know which other bikes have the lower sub frame, I've only heard that possibly some later models use it. I guess yours has the same or similar higher subframe used on the K3 S.

·
Help - I need a life!!!!
765 Posts
Gidday matt.britt,

I guess you might feel a bit picked on from some of the previous posts, but I have no doubt they were all posted in good spirit.

My post is offered as advice to anyone thinking about fitting a 3/4 2:1 to their SV as I have successfully done it without needing to cut and weld anything, if you take it as a knock against your method, so be it.

Trust me, it absolutely will not fit as stock on an SV with the lower subframe,
From what I understand, only the K3S had the higher subframe, and by the time my K5S came along they were well and truly gone.
As the 3/4 2:1 was designed for, and is only listed as a K3 pipe, it's only to be expected that a bit of lateral thinking may be needed to get it fitted right on other models.

Trust me - it's a perfect fit on the SV1000S K5 with two spacers - just have a look at the photo I posted.

Proper machine shops won't touch something simple like this (I tried)
I never have any trouble getting a professional macine shop to do a jobs like these bushes, but I make sure it's a smaller shop that specializes in jobbing work, and these spacers only cost me $20.

As for the welding on your pipe - any weld on a system like the Yoshi will look out of place, no matter how good the welder is, if it's not blended in (which is a highly skilled job).

If you do want to keep the stainless look of the pipe and avoid the cost of having ceramic coated, drop it down to a small sheetmetal shop who do stainless work, these guys are experts at welding and blending - you'll never know that's it's even there, otherwise I look forward to seeing the finished pipe - are you thinking of clear coating, black, silver, or some other color?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My post is offered as advice to anyone thinking about fitting a 3/4 2:1 to their SV as I have successfully done it without needing to cut and weld anything, if you take it as a knock against your method, so be it.
Oh, I certainly don't take your method as a knock against mine. It's all information for the benefit of others, and I'm just trying to be helpful. No worries.
From what I understand, only the K3S had the higher subframe, and by the time my K5S came along they were well and truly gone.
As the 3/4 2:1 was designed for, and is only listed as a K3 pipe, it's only to be expected that a bit of lateral thinking may be needed to get it fitted right on other models.
The 3/4 I got was definitely designed for the K3S subframe, here's a link to its installation instructions from the Yoshimura site (you'll notice they bike they mount it to is a K3S). I HAVE heard rumors that Yoshi manufactured a version for the K3 naked, but I dunno if it was ever available in the states or just made for a short period of time or what. I can't find any information on it now. All I know is that the Yoshi part number listed in the instructions below is definitely for the K3S subframe:

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/product/pdf/1130055.pdf

Trust me - it's a perfect fit on the SV1000S K5 with two spacers - just have a look at the photo I posted.
I can see that... It makes me wonder whether there was a version made for the lower subframe which was more commonly imported into Australia/NZ than here. Keep in mind that the K3 naked apparently never sold very well here, was the ONLY naked model SV1K ever brought here, and knowing this perhaps Yoshi never offered its 2->1 exhaust for the naked model in the US. I don't know, this is all speculation.
If you do want to keep the stainless look of the pipe and avoid the cost of having ceramic coated, drop it down to a small sheetmetal shop who do stainless work, these guys are experts at welding and blending - you'll never know that's it's even there, otherwise I look forward to seeing the finished pipe - are you thinking of clear coating, black, silver, or some other color?
Thank you for the advice, I'll look into it. The guy I know who does ceramic coating creates a mirror finish that resembles polished aluminum. I've seen this on nice exhaust headers he's done for race cars, and it looks great and doesn't discolor over time. If I can find a sheet metal shop who can blend the weld and polish the stainless back up, that may indeed be a better option, though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.