SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've made a drawing of a K5 flywheel in case someone would like to machine their K3/K4 to spec.

As stated on the drawing a vernier caliper (0.05mm) was used to do all the measurements so good rule of thumb is to expect ±0.5mm accuracy. Crank position teeth and oil drain holes are all for illustration purpose only, I did not put them in the right position!
Let me know if any measurements should be added. I only added those which I believe to be necessary for lighten the earlier flywheel.

If someone more knowledgeable can confirm front and rear timing marks it would be great! I believe it makes sense they are positioned in relation to the feather key which are the only alignment to the crankshaft. Markings are engraved on the outer surface and will be lost in the process.

Font Rectangle Slope Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
OH.....MY....GOD......!!!

You sir, are a legend...... now, i just need a lathe.....well a better one than the one at my work..... HA HA

Excellence in the extreme.....

I will make this sticky for others

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH.....MY....GOD......!!!

You sir, are a legend...... now, i just need a lathe.....well a better one than the one at my work..... HA HA

Excellence in the extreme.....

I will make this sticky for others
You welcome - planning to lighten it sometime in the near future?
When I do the swap I'll inspect the old flywheel and see if I can foresee any pitfall. It's always so simple to make parts and assemblies in the CAD software – soon after you meet reality.

Looking at the posts made by Jumjum a few months back i shouldn't be too much hassle. Schmidt also mentions feather key and front timing mark to be aligned.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
Yeah, my only thought would be the material thickness on the "bottom" corner, where the 45 degree shamfer is......one would assume that keeping that
transition fairly even would gaurd against stress fractures

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my only thought would be the material thickness on the "bottom" corner, where the 45 degree shamfer is......one would assume that keeping that
transition fairly even would gaurd against stress fractures
I'll measure again to see if I made a mistake and have a look at the heavy flywheel once it out. Shouldn’t be too long.

That said, to me it doesn’t look that bad. But my experience as mechanical engineer is almost non existing when it comes to engine components, so chances are I’m completely wrong. Bigger and more slowly moving structures and machinery are more my thing - agriculture equipment and wind turbines.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
Compared to most superbike 4 bangers, SV's are bigger slow moving tractors.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Engineering is the same all round....principals are no different.....i dont think so anyway.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
144 Posts
exactly SV's are the slow moving tractors:ROFLMAO: compare inline 4s
anyway good job drawing the flywheel...
CAD must make it easier...i remember when i was in tech school we had to do drawings on special kind of transparent paper with ink ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts