SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just thought I’d drop this here as it’s a problem that I recently had.
I was out for a ride when my K7 SV1000 decided it was not going to change gear as I took off from the lights. It would change intermittently for a start, then did just not change into any gear at all.
I limped it home in second gear, and eventually managed to get it into neutral. At a loss as to the cause I started looking. Fluid was fine, linkages were fine, took oil cap off to see clutch moving when I pulled lever in. So thinking internal.
Pulled the clutch cover, took the clutch off (looking for the shift drum star assembly), clutch was fine. But no assembly on that side (unlike the 650).
Went to the other side, removed selector housing (after removing everything else to get at it).
And found the star.
Return spring on selector was fine. Shift drum star looked ok, as did the roller stopper. Checked the roller stopper spring, that was fine. But what I did eventually find was that as I pushed on the roller stopper, I saw that the selector star moved a little.
Turns out that the selector star bolt had come loose, the keeper pin that aligns them had slipped into the star itself and the star was spinning on the drum.
I removed the pin from the star (still in good nick) Reseated it back into the drum, Re installed the selector star and locktighted the bolt in.
Now works perfectly.
I know it’s a long winded post, but this was a completely new issue to me and decided to share so anyone else at their wits end with a gear changing issue can look at this avenue (before removing the clutch).
Just out of interest, had anyone else had this issue?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Thanks for the post, it gives a clear idea to people what to look for. So, longwinded is good this time because there isnt any waffle....

Haven't had the issue myself....

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Over the years there have been a few shift stars that came loose...so not totally unknown but pretty rare. The SV1K is nicer than the 650 in this regard with the shift mechanism on the left side and more accessible. Factory Pro makes a neat shift kit for these bikes..makes them shift really positively and quick. Add the shorter shift lever from TL or GSXR and it's a nice improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts