SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my bike inspected today but the guy doing the inspection failed me because my rear sprocket had some play in it (plus my chain could use replacing). The guy doing the inspection wasn't exactly sure the reason for the play in the rear sprocket and said he'd never really seen that before. The wheel bearings are fine, but the sprocket seems to wiggle around a bit independently of the wheel. There is some sort of a rubber bushing in between the sprocket and the hub, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone else ever had this problem on their bike? What did you end up doing to fix it?

I haven't had a chance to take the rear wheel off yet and check it out myself, and am trying to get some ideas beforehand.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That rubber section you're referring to is the damper of the cush drive. If yours is worn, it should be replaced. The sprocket holder should fit snugly into the cush and allow for little/no play. This play/improper fit due to excessive wear is almost positively the reason for your sprocket wobble.

If you want more info, Wiki is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cush_drive

For ordering info, you'll need several (I forget how many) of part 16 on this fiche: http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-suzuki-sv1000s-rear-wheel/o/m16098sch649577

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That rubber section you're referring to is the damper of the cush drive. If yours is worn, it should be replaced. The sprocket holder should fit snugly into the cush and allow for little/no play. This play/improper fit due to excessive wear is almost positively the reason for your sprocket wobble.

If you want more info, Wiki is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cush_drive

For ordering info, you'll need several (I forget how many) of part 16 on this fiche: http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-suzuki-sv1000s-rear-wheel/o/m16098sch649577
Thanks for the input. I haven't taken mine apart yet, so I'm not exactly sure which part is which according to that diagram. I assume this damper/cush drive part is what is referred to in the diagram as Part #11 "SPACER, AXLE LEFT HAND", or perhaps Part #15 "SEAL,39X65X7"?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Reactions: trumindgame

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's called the ABSORBER,REAR H and is #16 as I mentioned in my previous post. I forget how many of them you need, but you'll be able to see when you take the rear wheel off and pull the sprocket/holder off the wheel.
Ah... I missed where you initially stated that.

That doesn't really look like what I expected. I was expecting a round piece, since the one that's on there now appears that way from an external vantage point prior to disassembly. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
519 Posts
No problem, I hope you get your issue sorted. Yeah the fiches are kind of deceiving like that sometimes, I only knew to look for the single of the [multiples that are installed] because I've had just about everything on my 1K apart at one time or another and used to refer to the fiche on how to reassemble :)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The drive is set into a bunch (5 or 6...can't remember right now) of rubber blocks with paddle like protrusions making the contact and taking the loads. They can get loose which will cause the sprocket to have some play. I just checked mine with 8200 miles and it is pretty snug still...but I CAN wiggle it with effort a little. A fresh set of cush-drive blocks will likely solve all your issues.

When you are in there, please check the spacer sleeves too as someone here had them crushed by over-torquing the axle nut which caused everything to be looser than desired. Not likely...but worth checking for sure. And...how many miles on the bearings? They DO go bad on these bikes sometimes. If you are anywhere near 20K, there are folks that would suggest you change them out. That is my plan, anyhow.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And...how many miles on the bearings? They DO go bad on these bikes sometimes. If you are anywhere near 20K, there are folks that would suggest you change them out. That is my plan, anyhow.
I'm just over 20K miles right now. I was going to try to pop the dust covers off of my factory bearings and see what kind of shape they are in while I have the wheel off. If they are still in good shape, I'll probably repack them with grease and leave them in there. All of the other dirtbikes I've ever owned had rubber seals on the bearings so they were easy to repack without removing them from the hub(except for the inner one on a tri-bearing rear wheel setup). I don't have a bearing puller and removing wheel bearings on other bikes has always been a real bothersome chore for me. I'll have to replace them eventually though and doing it while I have the chain and wheel already off definitely makes sense.

I was going to replace both of my sprockets while I was in there doing the new chain too, but the guy at the shop looked at me like I had two heads when I mentioned that. That's always been something I just did in the past while replacing chains and took for granted as something not worth risking screwing up a new chain due to older sprockets being on there. Mine aren't shark-toothed or broken in any way from what I can tell, but I'll probably just replace them anyways to be safe.

·
Mile eater
2,793 Posts
The sprocket carrier has its own bearing and spacer. If the axle nut is tight, the sprocket carrier should not wiggle from side to side. It can have a little play in the rotation of the chain due to the rubber cushion. Before you run out and buy a bunch of stuff/wrong stuff, check it out first. I've got over 50k on mine and just replaced the chain and sprockets again and the rubber cushion is fine. So is the bearing. Maybe your axle nut isn't snugged up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's called the ABSORBER,REAR H and is #16 as I mentioned in my previous post. I forget how many of them you need, but you'll be able to see when you take the rear wheel off and pull the sprocket/holder off the wheel.
Just noticed after cleanig my chain that the rear sprocket has a bit of play in it also. 38k miles haven't checked this but I would assume that they would need replacing. Thanks for the link sicko

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Just noticed after cleanig my chain that the rear sprocket has a bit of play in it also. 38k miles haven't checked this but I would assume that they would need replacing. Thanks for the link sicko

The cush rubbers do compress/shrink with age, and I ended up cutting up a couple oil bottles to make shims to shove under them on each side to tighten them up. Worked fine. If that's where your play is happening...give it a try. Free and works...what could be better?:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The cush rubbers do compress/shrink with age, and I ended up cutting up a couple oil bottles to make shims to shove under them on each side to tighten them up. Worked fine. If that's where your play is happening...give it a try. Free and works...what could be better?:)
Ha-ha nice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts