SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few fellow MAC users on the board. I'm hoping one of you may help me find something.

I am looking for a realitivly inexpensive USB wireless networking adapter. I have a wireless network at my GF's house set up and want to connect my MAC Mini to it wirelessly. I've found tons of USB adapters for PC's, but am having some trouble finding a MAC compatible adapter. Hard wiring is not an option unfortunately.

I've found one so far. It's 54Mbps. My router is 125Mbps capable and my internet provider (Roadrunner - cable) comes in around 88Mbps. I've seen several 108 and 125 Mbps USB devices for PC's but is there one for the MAC? I run OS 10.4.X on my mini.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is this an older Mac Mini (Power PC) that does not have built in wireless ?
All of the newer (Intel) Mini's have wireless built in.

Tim

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a MACMini, not yet 2 years old and it is running a 10.3.9 OS (to correct my previous bad info).

The Airport is about $100 more than I want to spend. I've only seen Airports for like $180. My Mini was from the real early release of them and the wireless was an extra cost option. That became standard about 8-12 months later. I didn't pay extra for it because at the time had no forseable plans to go wireless.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I am looking for a realitivly inexpensive USB wireless networking adapter. I have a wireless network at my GF's house set up and want to connect my MAC Mini to it wirelessly. I've found tons of USB adapters for PC's, but am having some trouble finding a MAC compatible adapter. Hard wiring is not an option unfortunately.
USB is nominally not a networking interface. Wireless routers usually attach via Ethernet. Here is a Macintosh-compatible example:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4126383&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.NTG+WNR834B

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,218 Posts
Randy is the Apple/Mac guru...:punk:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Randy is the Apple/Mac guru...:punk:
:cheers: That is very kind of you to say.

If anyone here would like a referral to a really good Macintosh e-mail discussion list where you can get all of your questions answered, just let me know.

I haven't noticed a relationship between what brand of motorcycle Mac users tend to ride. But I have noticed that Mac users seem to gravitate to driving Acura cars. (I have an Acura myself.)

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
USB is nominally not a networking interface. Wireless routers usually attach via Ethernet. Here is a Macintosh-compatible example:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4126383&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.NTG+WNR834B
Now...... I'm a bit confused. :blink: :blink: :blink:

I have a wireless network system available and currently broadcasting its signal. I want to connect to that signal. Does this connect to that signal and then connect to the MAC?

I don't understand.......:blink:

·
Low down dirty whore
2,332 Posts
Macintosh still makes computers???? :D

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a serious thread. Keep the jokes to some other MAC bashing thread please. We're not here bashing any other PC platform's. :rolleyes: :p

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,218 Posts
No but Apple does and I have an I-Mac Pro and am VERY impressed with it... It takes 20 seconds to go from off to ready to work... None of that 5 minute wait for it to boot up and schitt... Trust me when I say, once you go to Apple you won't go back... The damn external keyboard is a work of art...:shock:

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It takes 20 seconds to go from off to ready to work... None of that 5 minute wait for it to boot up and schitt...
You aren't kidding! If I reboot my GF's PC or turn it on after it's been off, I may as well go do something for a few minutes. Walk the dog, wash the car, study the 1/2 life of radioactive materials, etc.....

Seriuosly though my MAC is a way faster start up. I have no idea why.

But back to topic.... How do do what I want to do?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have a wireless network system available and currently broadcasting its signal. I want to connect to that signal.
Ah, so you don't want an external network router at all, you just want an airport card for your mini so that you can connect to your existing network.

Do you have an Intel-based mini? You can get an Airport card for it for only about $15:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-MINI-AIRPORT-CARD_W0QQitemZ170147343538QQcmdZViewItem

Just make sure that this card, and your network, are using the same flavor of Wi-Fi. (e.g. f, g, n, etc.)

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not have an Intel based Mini. Life would be easier if I did.

Mine is a PowerPC w/OS 10.3.9.

At this rate I will be routing wires to my GF's 2nd bedroom for her and my PC to be hard wired.

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. It's becoming clear that I need to ditch my wireless aspirations and go wired. What I have found is 54Mbps max. I know wired I can have 88Mbps.

Now my question is do I run 2 RJ-45 networking cables from the basement to the 2nd floor bedroom through the convieniently located forced air heat run space, or do I run one coaxial cable to the bedroom and put the router & converter in the room with the PC's?

My estimations are that I will need no less than 50' to ensure enough length on the cable (or coaxial).

If I do the networking cable I will just bring them out of the wall right next to the heat run and run them to their respective computers.

If I do the coaxial cable I will cut a box into the drywall and make it a coaxial out of the wall professional looking install. If I do this I will run a line into the bedroom for future cable TV installation as well. (this option is the most attractive)

Opinions? Is one better than the other for signal quality?

·
0-ER in 2.5 seconds
2,101 Posts
The wireless 802.11g networking standard supports only 54 Mbps.

Any wireless speeds you see faster than that are going to be proprietary technology.

The only other "official" standard faster than that is 802.11n, but it isn't finalized yet, Apple has their own implementation of N as do a few others (the so called "pre-N technologies) and whilst they're fast, there's no guarantee that they'll be able to talk to each other (I'm assuming they will once the standard is finalized, but until then I wouldn't hold my breath).

A better question is what do you need speeds greater than 54 Mbps for? If you're just surfing the web and that kind of thing, 54 Mbps is easily fast enough, I'd only worry about faster speeds if you're transferring huge files.

Hell, even downloading files usually caps out at whatever the remote server will give you and unless that's Microsoft or another BIG bandwidth user, you probably won't even cap out the max bandwidth of your internet connection.

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, at this point if the cable gives me 88Mbps wired, which it did at my apartment (tested) and I am sure it will at least match at my GF's, I want that speed at my PC and at her PC.

The way I see it is "here's a motorcycle with 150 hp. Now you can ride it with that full power or only 100 hp. Which do you want?"

If the data speed is there, I want the speed. I mean why not use the speed if it's there?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

·
0-ER in 2.5 seconds
2,101 Posts
If the data speed is there, I want the speed. I mean why not use the speed if it's there?
Well consider this analogy, if you're capped at a maximum of 30mph (download speed from remote server) anyway, why bother with the extra expense of a Hayabusa over a GS500?

Going with the latest and greatest is more expensive and a lot less reliable than picking up the last generation equipment when you consider that you won't notice the difference.

As I say, unless you're downloading huge files all the time (and I regularly download software updates of 100+ meg directly to my laptop over 54g), you won't notice the difference, it certainly won't make any difference for web browsing or gaming, so with the exception of the odd service pack, what do you really need the extra speed for?

1 - 20 of 149 Posts