SV Portal Forums banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this is a continuation of my month long magneto extravaganza!!!

Received used magneto with loose magnets today so let the work begin.

I have compiled information that I have read on several posts along with some good info from an aircraft magneto repair guy of 40 years. So here goes!!

Tools required for procedure: dental picks, razor blade, emery cloth med and fine, hand sander, clean rags, Maxima contact cleaner, JB weld, 7 popsicle sticks, small plastic tray, OH YA BEER!!!:cheers:

1st - remove magnets, if there are some still adhered "not likely, Damn Suzuki epoxy" use heat on outside of rotor to loosen. I used a butane torch and the dental pick!

2nd -- clean hardened epoxy from magnets, use razor blade and fine emery cloth to get down to magnet. Use medium emery cloth on back side of magnets for maximum adhesion. Use Maxima contact cleaner to clean excess epoxy powder, oil etc off magnets, wipe off with clean shop rag.

3rd --- Clean rotor with contact cleaner to remove oil and grease. Use dental pick and razor blade to remove excess epoxy from inside of rotor. Use medium emery cloth on inside of rotor ( magnet contact area ) . clean with contact cleaner and wipe with another clean shop rag.

4th --- notice 6 small holes in rotor toward upper lip. These will be your spacers for the magnets ( magnets don't block holes! )... Also when removing magnets I noticed they came out a certain way. Due to polarity I scratched arrows on face of magnets pointing down toward bearing. Jim the aircraft guy told me to do this, didn't ask ?s just did it!
What do I do if I have 5 magneto magnets and one is missing.. polarities are important.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
What do I do if I have 5 magneto magnets and one is missing.. polarities are important.
Missing ? as in its broken and you have removed all the remains ?

Regardless, as long a you can get a spare magnet form someone, then as long as you put it in so that it attracted to its neighbour magnetically, then its cool......if you turn it around it will be repelled...not cool....

81 - 83 of 83 Posts