SV Portal Forums banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this is a continuation of my month long magneto extravaganza!!!

Received used magneto with loose magnets today so let the work begin.

I have compiled information that I have read on several posts along with some good info from an aircraft magneto repair guy of 40 years. So here goes!!

Tools required for procedure: dental picks, razor blade, emery cloth med and fine, hand sander, clean rags, Maxima contact cleaner, JB weld, 7 popsicle sticks, small plastic tray, OH YA BEER!!!:cheers:

1st - remove magnets, if there are some still adhered "not likely, Damn Suzuki epoxy" use heat on outside of rotor to loosen. I used a butane torch and the dental pick!

2nd -- clean hardened epoxy from magnets, use razor blade and fine emery cloth to get down to magnet. Use medium emery cloth on back side of magnets for maximum adhesion. Use Maxima contact cleaner to clean excess epoxy powder, oil etc off magnets, wipe off with clean shop rag.

3rd --- Clean rotor with contact cleaner to remove oil and grease. Use dental pick and razor blade to remove excess epoxy from inside of rotor. Use medium emery cloth on inside of rotor ( magnet contact area ) . clean with contact cleaner and wipe with another clean shop rag.

4th --- notice 6 small holes in rotor toward upper lip. These will be your spacers for the magnets ( magnets don't block holes! )... Also when removing magnets I noticed they came out a certain way. Due to polarity I scratched arrows on face of magnets pointing down toward bearing. Jim the aircraft guy told me to do this, didn't ask ?s just did it!
What do I do if I have 5 magneto magnets and one is missing.. polarities are important.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
What do I do if I have 5 magneto magnets and one is missing.. polarities are important.
Missing ? as in its broken and you have removed all the remains ?

Regardless, as long a you can get a spare magnet form someone, then as long as you put it in so that it attracted to its neighbour magnetically, then its cool......if you turn it around it will be repelled...not cool....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok read this thread thoroughly & dammit I should have ordered the magneto cover gasket. I imagine mine will be shot when taking it off? Its an '03 & has never been removed.
My plan will probably be to inspect & fill the gaps while its still in place. Haven't had any major issues but notice that my battery doesn't fully recharge. Could be a rectifier issue.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
I only replaced the cover gasket once, then, since that i have apllied grey gasket sealer each time on each side of the gasket, that way it peels off without damage and takes
just a little work to clean up for use again... You may be lucky to get the original gasket off in one piece

·
Registered
96 Posts
I only replaced the cover gasket once, then, since that i have apllied grey gasket sealer each time on each side of the gasket, that way it peels off without damage and takes
just a little work to clean up for use again... You may be lucky to get the original gasket off in one piece
Yea I guess I'll take my chances. Will be nice to get all of this stuff finally completed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Score! So ran to Bob's Used Cycles in Phoenix, great place!! They had a wrecked silver '03 so they tried pulling the flywheel & I could tell with the guys battery impact that it wasn't gonna come off. So as he was tapping it magnets started coming loose. There was a little magnet debris inside but not terrible. I said I just need 3 of the best magnets. So $10 for 3 magnets, good day!! One man's junk right??

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Score! So ran to Bob's Used Cycles in Phoenix, great place!! They had a wrecked silver '03 so they tried pulling the flywheel & I could tell with the guys battery impact that it wasn't gonna come off. So as he was tapping it magnets started coming loose. There was a little magnet debris inside but not terrible. I said I just need 3 of the best magnets. So $10 for 3 magnets, good day!! One man's junk right??

Thats an awesome pickup...... please tell me, you took allt he good magnets, not just what you needed ? They are gonna be like hens teeth soon, and that wrecker aint gonna give a rats

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats an awesome pickup...... please tell me, you took allt he good magnets, not just what you needed ? They are gonna be like hens teeth soon, and that wrecker aint gonna give a rats
Yea, some were toast. So I have 5 complete ones & the other has a corner chip but not too bad.
Then more fabulous news, popped front head cover off & exhaust valve clearance is like .1 mm on both. Don't wanna rotate yet to check intake & rear cover not off yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I did mine gasket came off quite easily in one piece but I still fitted new gasket ( probably could have got away with the old one but because I had new one I fitted it )
Yea I think mines ok. Thermostat showed up, new magneto center cap that I totally destroyed, o ring and waiting for the shim kit. Wanted to do more today but only hafta work one more day so I'll get to it.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Yea I think mines ok. Thermostat showed up, new magneto center cap that I totally destroyed, o ring and waiting for the shim kit. Wanted to do more today but only hafta work one more day so I'll get to it.
Dont over tighten that mag plug..... ANd if it doesn't have a new o -ring, get one, even a slightly fatter one....like 0.5mm thicker is enough, those plugs will touch down on th e case if the o-ring is knackered...that way it will always come undone no issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dont over tighten that mag plug..... ANd if it doesn't have a new o -ring, get one, even a slightly fatter one....like 0.5mm thicker is enough, those plugs will touch down on th e case if the o-ring is knackered...that way it will always come undone no issue.
Yea I ordered two of them. IDK who put that thing on but I needed a half inch ratchet & a long length of pipe to remove it. Luckily it didn't totally strip but it was close!!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts