SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After lurking for a while and reading just about every bit of knowledge i could glean from this community, i decided to create a post/thread of my progress with my SV.
She was bought, with 23k miles on the clock, and other than crash protectors, paddock bobbins and a tail tidy, she is completely standard. Which was what i was looking for.

The bike i owned (and still own) is a Kawasaki ZZR600D '92, which i have ridden for 18 1/2 years. I am the site owner of zzr-international.co.uk, where my handle name is Muzzy. (So i thought i'd carry it over here).

I've always wanted a twin, and in '07 while the ZZR (ZX6D) was being rebuilt, i bought a TL1000S, this relationship didn't work out and ended up going back to the ZZR.

Recently, fortunes have changed and managed to find myself a good SV1000S.

Im currently running MPG records on her, with both filter and exhausts on the way. I plan to do the adjustments/mods like TPS, and TRE to see what effect they have on MPG and performance.

Cheers, and i guess welcome to my SV diary

Attachments

·
Mmmm Kate
7,536 Posts
:welcome: Muzzy. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just don,t tell me your about 25 years old and stunningly good looking as then I could be your long lost Dad !
Hahaaa!......... No, 40 this year lol

TPS done this weekend, and my first good look around. The filter is standard, and looks as if its been there a while. K&N arrives on wednesday, im due a fill up between then.
The TPS was set for 3k, and although im still getting used to the twin, i did feel it was lumpy between tickover and 3k rpm, so we'll see what like tommorrow.

Suspension tweaked for my weight, oxford heated grips on, and chain oiler done.

Thanks for all the welcomes

·
Registered
356 Posts
MPG came in at 45mpg. Average
Race cans and K&N fitted tomorrow.
Nice, like Christmas all over again :bigclap::bigclap: post pics when you get the cans fitted :supsmiley:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Filter and Exhausts where swapped mid-way through an MPG test, and came out at 47.8 MPG. Will see what thats like on a full tank run this week.

SV developed a stumble sitting at constant revs just below 4k rpm, some forum searching suggested the front HT lead arcing. So with some WD40 and careful squirting, the problem went away.

My Tutoro manual chain oiler is being replaced by a Scottoiler. The Tutoro was good while it worked, but these days i can never get it to drip right (even after a full strip put and clean), without it dropping the whole lot on the floor, for a 12 mile journey. And its a pain having to turn it off, then find that sweet spot for oil dripping every journey beginning and end. Time for something automatic.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fitting open cans produced a stumbling at cruise just under 4k rpm, so im assuming she might be running a little lean while those cans are on. So i have ruled out the HT lead shorting/arcing.
Both cans are back off, for a deep polish to get rid of scratches, and also to test the engine on just a K&N filter and TPS adjustment, and any affect on MPG

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There wasn't much difference in MPG having the standard cans on. So after repacking the open cans, i have put them back on.

Using a carb Tune II, i re-balanced the carbs, they where only slightly out, and since riding today the stumble hasn't come back, or reared its head.

Next on the list is the TRE "Simpest" with a 6.8K ohm resistor. We'll see what differences are made then.

Attachments

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
You,ll,only notice the tre if you give it lots of throttle at low revs, butvit all helps.

Once you,ve done all your mods, including checking shimms, new plugs etc, pop it on a rolling road dyno with air fuel ratio sensor...it may show you need a power commander to fill in the weak or rich areas in your fueking, money well spent in my opinion, think power cost ne £300 + £100 to set up, but these days you might be able to get 2nd habd one in ebay and then fine tune it for your bike
I gained 12 bhp and 12 ft/lbs midrange, 4 bhp top end and increased mpg by about 10- 15 miles per tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Peter.
From the mods so far, both the TPS adjustment and TB balance where the most dramatic improvements.
I'll see whether i notice the TRE at all this afternoon.
Last on the list is the STV check. But the mods so far HAVE been worth the time to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Simplest TRE completed.
I chuckled when the fuel light came on, remembering posts about mpg going down after this mod. And in truth, the way i ride now has changed. Alot more agressive in accelerating, and the delivery is so much more smoother and feel im getting more performance from the SV.
The idle is a bit random at the moment, hopefully its just a cable slack thing

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Muzzy, what was it that made the TLS not work out for you? What made you think the SV would suit you better? Why is it better than the TLS? Just newer tech? Thanks.
Hi Tav
The TLS felt uncomfortable to ride, wrists jarred (im 6ft 2"). The clutch was always needing WD40 or lube to un-stiffen it.
Going into corners the front would under steer, until i put the forks 15mm through the yokes.
Never had a head shake/tank slap during the time i owned her. And this put more pressure on the wrists.

They way the TLS was put together seemed to me, a bit of a rush job. The chain adjustment was a pain in the ass, as the swing arm pivot point was either too high, or compromised in design to fit the rotary dampener and spring. Its handling altogether just felt wrong, too stiff, too focused for me, and hard work. I loved and hated the bike at the same time.

The SV, i read was a complete redesign of the chassis. Many of the reviewers of the old TLS harked on about how much the SV chassis had changed, and the engine toned down for a broader power curve. Going by the popularity of the 650, and its chassis, the 1000s couldnt be that far from either. And after test riding one, it just hit the spot in comfort and power.

Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAvmUfjK88

Average MPG now 48MPG commuting

1 - 20 of 53 Posts