SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s (YC2)
114 Posts
Steering dampener removed
I took mine off this spring. I had thought that I could feel that the head bearings were going, but I think that it was actually the damper. Reading into it you can drain the damper and refill it with fork oil and that new oil and no air bubbles make a big improvement. I have been going to a few track days this summer, and have noticed a touch of a wobble when its wide open out of a corner if the track is not perfect, so I am planning on trying it again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After living with the SV since my last update. The handling has now come into focus.

Originally i thought and felt it was the PR2 front tyre. But after changing it to an Avon SS, the handling was much improved, but there is still a vague and tip-in issue that doesn't feel confident at all.

After alot of reading through the forum (especially HERE), i decided to bite the bullet and go for a full swap out of the front and rear.

I managed to get a hold of a GSXR 1000 rear shock (virtually new, removed when bought from the showroom for an Ohlins swap) for £75 and a GSXR 750 K4 K5 front end.
I weight 210lbs, i may have to re-spring the front to a heavier 1kg spring later. But i will be upgrading the suspension in stages, firstly the rear shock, then the front, after i service them before putting them on. It will give me an opportunity to feel the difference. More later.
[MENTION=24025]flooded[/MENTION]:- i serviced the damper with fresh oil, and the dampening felt much better. There was a part of the travel that seemed to stick halfway, but this was gone after flushing it out and filling it with 10w fork oil.

Attachments

·
easy rider
286 Posts
... managed to get a hold of a GSXR 1000 rear shock (virtually new, removed when bought from the showroom for an Ohlins swap) for £75 and a GSXR 750 K4 K5 front end. ...
Muzzy, look at stroke of GSXR shock compared with OEM shock.
Shorter stroke of GSXR shock led me to choose re-valve/re-spring for OEM shock (less than $450), instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Muzzy, look at stroke of GSXR shock compared with OEM shock.
Shorter stroke of GSXR shock led me to choose re-valve/re-spring for OEM shock (less than $450), instead.
Aye,

Length
338 +7/-5 mm ZX10R
332,5 +6/0 mm GSXR 1000 - K3-K4 Shock identification K3-4 or K5-6 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
329,5 mm SV1000S K7

Stroke
69 mm ZX10R
74 mm GSXR K3-K4
86 mm SV1000S K7

I will be keeping the old OEM shock, to see if i can play about and re-valve it later. I have seen some threads on this and its itched my curiosity. I did have a look at the Gixxer linkage to see if there was any leverage difference also, still looking....

Thanks for the response :supsmiley:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The forks I ordered didn't come with either calipers or clipon's. I was considering R1\R6 even the CBR's but I think I'll stick with the gixxer's
I'm a bit concerned with the clipon's spotted a Chinese pair with a 1 inch rise, will that be enough? Will they clear the tank?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Muzzy: Your bike looks to have spent its early days in loving hands. Beautiful machine.

I assume the chain oiler you fitted is a Scottoiler? I have one on my 2003 SV1000K model and it's a wonderful improvement for any chain-driven bike. I own two Guzzis and their owners usually scoff at chain drive bikes, but with the Scottoiler I prefer chain drive for less weight, simplicity and gearing can be changed. I dropped my rear sprocket to a 36T as I don't care to rev the bike much at speed. I don't weigh much (138#) so acceleration is fine, even with a substantial rpm loss.

Ralph

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
[MENTION=9397]ralph glorioso[/MENTION]
Hi & thank you, yes it was a Scottoiler i fitted, although sometimes it needs a fiddle, works fine and keeps the chain driving well.

Managed to win an auction for a pair of CBR929RR 00-01 handlebars off Ebay over the weekend, i had seen a post here with them fitted, and it looked quite tidy. These will set the bars back into a stock position, but without the stock angle. I have no idea what the comfort level of that will be so im crossing my fingers, but for £27 im not going to be complaining. I'll buy some 2" raised 50mm clip-ons in the spring if they are unbearable

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Took delivery of
a pair of Honda CBR929RR 2000 clip-ons,
x4 5mm caliper spacers,
and a Delkevic GSXR 600/750 K4 K5 front mudguard. (unpainted)

On order is a pair of 1KG Racetech springs, and a spring compressor.

I am tempted to fit the forks, and change the springs later; when they arrive...depends on how strong the will power will be over the weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, that's the forks and yokes of a GSXR 750 K4-K5 on, with the standard SV wheel, brake lines and axle.
I had some trouble with the yoke stem, which took a while as the nut was seized and took us over a hour to get it to loosen off.

The suspension is set to factory settings at the moment, and the ride this morning in -3 Degrees C for 15 miles was slow. But already i could feel the difference.
Gone is the harsh bumping of the bars over small bumps, the ride is much more smoother and you feel much more connected to the road. The comparison to the stock forks is night and day, and i have read many reviews that say just that. I have some loose ends to tie up on the bars and the radial brakes could probably do with bleeding again, and the pads bedded in. But i am very hopeful that this conversion has been worth both the expense and time.

GSXR 750 K4-K5 Forks with Yokes £325 Ebay
GSXR 750 K4-K5 Calipers £65 Ebay - (same breaker)
Honda CBR929RR 2000 clip-ons £21
Delkevic Front Mudguard £45.94
5mm Radial caliper spacers £18 (Dremmel was used to zip off the non required necks)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The stock fork springs have the sag sitting about 40mm, with 4 lines showing. Even cranking the preload up to 2 lines showing didnt make much of a dent in the sag. The Race Tech spring arrived today, doubt i will get them fitted tonight, (maybe tomorrow?)

I had a go trying to install the K4 K5 GSXR 1000 shock over the weekend, and found that i will need to remove some of the battery box edge. By that time, i had run out of time on Sunday and the night had drawn in. So i have shelved the project until i have some time.

Guide shown here, although the 650, same problem for the 1k years K4 plus

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The GSXR 1000 K4-K5 shock is now in.

Using a soldering iron, i removed the bottom edge between the 2 rubber hooks for the flat cover going over the top of the shock area.
And removed the superficial-like plastic cover on the battery box.
This was maybe 5mm of an L shape removed. And the shock slipped right in.

This shock definitely needs re-valving. There are 20-24 clicks on both Rebound and Compression. And both have been set 2 clicks from full out. As the standard settings were too stiff/slow for the rebound.

The ride is good, much better than stock, and because this shock is virtually "new" im not sure if the shock needs running in, or the oil needs a bit of work to loosen up, so we'll see how a months worth of commuting does.

At my weight 205lbs, the shock spring is the correct rate, and on the standard preload, the sag and ride sag are at the correct height.

If anyone has any guides to re-shimming a GSXR shock, i'd be grateful :supsmiley:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Taken for a ride today, to work the rear was too hard.
At lunch i took her out and tweaked the rebound and compression.

The shock works fine now :supsmiley:, however, both settings are at the 1st click in from full out. Not ideal for a broader adjustment, but since the shock has had zero miles, im hoping that with time the oil will thin out and bring some adjustment in later in the year

Thought that might be worth something for anyone considering the 1000 K4 K5 shock.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Taken for a ride today, to work the rear was too hard.
At lunch i took her out and tweaked the rebound and compression.

The shock works fine now :supsmiley:, however, both settings are at the 1st click in from full out. Not ideal for a broader adjustment, but since the shock has had zero miles, im hoping that with time the oil will thin out and bring some adjustment in later in the year

Thought that might be worth something for anyone considering the 1000 K4 K5 shock.

04 and 05 GSX-R1000 shocks are different. The 04 should be slightly stiffer and they had different valving I am pretty sure.

Don't expect the shock oil to just thin out or the shock to change a bunch. If it does thin the oil or have a change in damping due to break in or oil thinning you have problems. New or fresh rebuilt shocks should have a long consistent service life. That is the idea of the expensive shock oils and such. They resist shearing and have really high VIs.

Do note that because the exhaust sit next the shock in an SV, the oil life will be shorter in my experience

-ms

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
[MENTION=6439]schmidt314[/MENTION] Hi, and thanks. Yes, i didn't think the shock would change all that much running in, if only "slightly" (hoping that my rebound could be slightly less at full open) but as it is, its good enough for commuting, but probably perfect for a more sportier aggressive ride.
[MENTION=20076]jscottj[/MENTION] Thanks, i have been looking at something like that. A curious thought i had along with those socks is...do they act like tea cozy's when the shock itself gets hot? And would it be better to wrap the rear exhaust pipe? still undecided.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So i was looking, and trying to think about the dampening of this 1k shock. And then decided to look at the leverage link system between the SV and the GSXR.

I can see that the GSXR is slightly shorter, and has more angle to the linkage, compared to the SV. See attached.

I may play with sticking in the GSXR linkage to see if it will either, fit, and or alter the ride height, and what effect it may have on the dampening etc

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
GSXR 750 K4 Front forks

Using Silkolene 5wt oil, the rebound is set 1 half turn out from full in
Compression is set 2 turns out from full in.
The once flush fork tops are now 5mm through the yokes to stop the bike running wide mid turn.

GSXR 1000 K4 Rear shock.

Seems to have loosened up.
Rebound 4 clicks in from full out.
Compression 2 clicks out from full in.

Still seems like its harsh or stiff, will be checking linkage bearings this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
After going through the shock and linkages, i have come to the conclusion that even though the GSXR shock is "better" than the OEM. It's dampening is too hard for my 205lb / 95KG backside.

As a result, i have opted to buy a Nitron Sport shock, from Demon Tweaks.
I thought i would go for the base model first, then after 12 months (or later) upgrade it to a 2 way adjustable with remote preload.

Hopefully it should be here by 17th June. :supsmiley:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The Nitron arrived today!
a few days too late, since i have just done a weekend ride out with the lads over Applecross (West coast Scotland). It would have been great to have it for that run. Anyway...

Im glad to see the shock came included with a ride height adjuster. Has anyone fitted (although i couldn't find anything in a search) a Nitron and adjusted the height? if so to what? i remember reading something about a 5mm increase ?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts