SV Portal Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Its been a couple of weeks, and i have been testing, adjusting the suspension.

Weight Rider 210Lbs with gear

Front
GSXR 750 K4 Shocks
7.5W oil silkolene fork oil (Mix of 10w 60% and 5w 40%)
+10mm fork raised through yokes.
Compression 1 turn out and Rebound 1/4 turns out from full in

Rear
Nitron Shock.
Height adjusted 1 half turn out from delivered setting from Nitron.
One click firmer from standard.

Bike is now balanced, turns in and stays turning into corners and holds its line. Perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I think this will be the last handling/ergo mod that i will do to the SV. (might do the seat, we'll see)

After owning and commuting on the bike regularly since the beginning of this post, my back has started to protest these last few months.

I have been reading alot about the top yoke conversions for a few months, both for the SV and GSXR top yokes. And decided rather than buying a conversion kit, to do it myself DIY using Risers, Superbike Ultra Low Renthal bars, extended brake and clutch braided Hel lines and throttle cable. The original bar ends will be used.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Front

GSXR 750 K4 Shocks
10W silkolene fork oil
+5mm fork raised through yokes.

Compression 1 turn out, and Rebound 1 turns out from full in
(3 1/2 turns adjustment range)

Rear
Nitron Shock.
Height set to adjusted level by Nitron (delivered).
4 clicks firmer from standard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Had a little mishap last week. After parking the bike outside in the rain and walking to its other side, i heard a crunch!! The bike had fallen off its side stand !! Fuuuuuuuuu*****!!

The damage was a clutch lever end and the left side exhaust splitting its mounts through the end cap. :ranting:

The x2 quill cans where a cheap 2nd hand buy from ebay, and while i had them they did a good job. But they had ropey looking mounting points and the metal looked very thin.

So after alot of reading in this forum, i decided to go for Yoshimura TRS 3/4 System (Single) Titanium Silencer I spoke to the dealer, who says there is non in stock in the UK, but its supplier says..they are in stock. (i'll hold my breath a little eh?)

Here's hoping they arrive before the end of the month.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Forgot to post the bike with the new exhaust.
Very pleased with it, it came with the Yoshi baffle also. The bike sounds better than standard with it in, and very loud with the baffle removed.
Excellent quality, shame they didn't make the Titanium anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Gradually my bike has developed the chudder. I wasn't 100% sure it was the clutch basket until i started testing idol with the clutch in and out. It got so bad, it started creeping up to 4k + in the rpm. And the transmittion was getting snatchy aswell. Carb balance and checking valve clearances and chain slack where all ruled out so i had to go in and look at the clutch.

When opened out, the clutch had some movement back and forth, so i have sent the basket away to get re-engineered. But what surprised me was this bearing. Nope, the pins didn't fall out when i removed it, and there was no material to show that had been there at all. New bearing ordered!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hey all, its been a minute :)

So whats happened recently since my last post.

I had the magnet issue, and had to re-glue the magnets back in place. I noticed my oxford heated grips kept flashing the battery light, and figured that must be the issue. Most of the magnets had slipped, so some JB weld, and JB quick weld was used to put them right.

I recently had an issue with the bike dieing on me, and then coming back to life. After searching the forum i thought it was the 100 ohm issue in the ignition, so i drilled out the the screws and disassembled the bottom half to take a look at the contacts Guide here there was some black on one of the contacts so cleaned it all up and put it back together.

Thinking that the problem was resolved, i began the Scottish Northcoast 500, and the bike failed to start after our first stop. The fuel pump made a weird noise and the bike wasn't going anywhere.
A local, walked past and tried to help us out, who fortunately had gone for a walk to get out of the house, because his wife was giving him jobs to do around the house. He also had a van, with a bike ramp and harnesses and offered to take me back home <3 Turns out he was retired, and a local biker, so for his help i put some fuel in his van, and gracefully thanked the man for his kindness.

Everyone thought it was the immobilizer, or the aftermarket alarm system. Turned out the fuel pump seized. I checked the fuel relay, and poked an LED light into the 3 pin connector to make sure power was getting to the pump itself... it was.
I removed the pump from all its housing and directly connected the pump to the battery, nothing.. i used a small screw driver and pushed the viewable fins round a few, and the motor spun up.
If i took the power away and let it stop, it wouldnt start up again until i pushed it again.

I thought about an inline external pump, but later changed my mind, and opted for a KEMSO the pump i had was a cheaper £20 ebay item like this, it was noisy and i think not up to the job long term. So i will be avoiding those in future. Anyone have any review of these pumps? (KEMSO) i figured it cost more, it would be more of a quality unit. ...has anyone ever bought a Quantum?

So, other than a lock down, magnet issue and fuel pump (100 ohm resistor maybe issue - not) the bike has been good.

I adjusted the suspension more on the front, recently, and its even better than before. And changed tires to Pirelli Angel ST's I will post details on that later..

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Gee, this thread is getting over cooked mate...... :ROFLMAO: ....you gotta back off a tad.....

I have heard good things about Caltric pumps Caltric Pump

The ST is a good tyre, i actually was the first person to ever use them in Australia when released orignally..... the GT and GT2 have been released since... using the 2 myself at the moment....nice

Reactions: Muzzy
41 - 53 of 53 Posts